AAC instead of MP3? In iPod and iTunes?

Posted by: Anonymous

AAC instead of MP3? In iPod and iTunes? - 06/06/02 03:35 PM

With the release of a Quicktime 6 preview Apple explains on its website the great benefits of MPEG4 video and the accompanying AAC audio. In every way AAC sounds better than mp3. So, since Quicktime can use this new audio technology can we expect iTunes and iPods to be using it very soon? Is mp3 really a format that will disappear soon?<br>Audio gurus please speak up about this if you can, this is all very interesting.<br><br><br>

Re: AAC instead of MP3? In iPod and iTunes? - 06/06/02 04:37 PM

An audio guru I spoke to did say that MPEG4 and AAC is the future. So yes, Apple will use it in it's products.<br><br>--<br>I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.

Re: AAC instead of MP3? In iPod and iTunes? - 06/06/02 05:29 PM

Cool, so I guess the next questions are:<br><br>when, of course? Basically it should be right away (when QT6 is complete) because doesn't iTunes run off the QT engine or something like that?<br><br>And I wonder how it will work with existing mp3 files? That is, if you convert from mp3 to AAC would you lose quality, like sometimes happens when you recompress video to another format? It seems like that would be an important question considering how many mp3 files most people already have.<br><br><br><br>

Re: AAC instead of MP3? In iPod and iTunes? - 06/07/02 08:25 PM

Well, whenever QuickTime 6 is good to go. I think Jaguar (OS X 10.2) will come with iTunes 4. Yes, iTunes does use QuickTime. Trivia: 18,000+ applications use QuickTime.<br><br>MP3 leaves out certain frequencies and detail, which gives it its small size. I am yet to see detailed analysis comparing MP3 with AAC, but the industry knows AAC is much superior; it retains or reduces the MP3 file sizes.<br><br>The best thing would be to encode MPEG-4/AAC from your original source.<br><br>--<br>I am Dyslexic of Borg. Fusistance is retile. Your a$$ will be laminated.