iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Macs?!

Posted by: Anonymous

iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Macs?! - 10/10/03 08:24 AM

Well it's great that Windows users will be getting iTunes and the iTunes Music Store on the 16th. But what about us loyal Mac users in Canada (and other international locales for that matter)? Especially in Canada, how tough can it be? There are largely the same companies, same tastes, same language, there's already a Canadian Apple Store processing Cdn credit cards. WHat's the big deal! <br><br>I know, I know. The US Windows market is huge and the have to focus on it, but as I said, how tough can it be to open an existing Mac service to Cdn cards? I already do loads of online shopping from US web stores with my Cdn credit card. Sheesh!<br><br>I want my iTMS!!<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Macs?! - 10/10/03 08:38 AM

I want iTMS too!!!<br><br>BTW what are my on-line alternatives of buying music that's compatible with the iPod?<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Macs?! - 10/10/03 09:00 AM

Call the Record Labels. Canada has different distribution rights, as well as Europe and the rest of the world<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Ma - 10/10/03 09:54 AM

I just posted an explanation somewhere else, let me find the link for ya!<br><br><br>Visit Me!
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Ma - 10/10/03 09:57 AM

Looks like they missed the first deadline, but who knows, they may announce the addition of Canada with the release of iTunes and iTMS for Windows next week!<br><br>Globe and Mail reports on the online music services and the Music Industry in Canada. It appears Canadian readers will have to wait until September at least before Apple's iTunes Music service arrives:<br><br>By mid to late September, the CRIA will have completed negotiations to set up a framework for paying music publishers and composers whose music is downloaded on pay-for-play systems, Mr. Robertson said.<br><br>That will allow Canadian-based services to start operations, he said, and allow U.S. systems such as Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes "music store" to expand into Canada.<br><br>The article expects that Apple will add Canada to the iTunes Music store after these negotiations are complete. <br><br><br>Visit Me!
Posted by: djstefan

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Ma - 10/14/03 12:23 PM

Canada has legal pirating! smile Direct connect all the way!<br><br>___________________________________________<br><br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Ma - 10/14/03 12:39 PM

Somehow I doubt that pirating is legal in Canada.<br><br> Alas, poor Yorick. -- Hamlet

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Ma - 10/14/03 03:41 PM

Pirating is not really legal... file sharing is.... <br>http://techcentralstation.com/081803C.html<br>http://techcentralstation.com/081803C.html<br><br>___________________________________________<br><br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Ma - 10/15/03 06:15 AM

This could be opening the door for Canadian iTMS announcement tomorrow:<br><br>"Puretracks.com, Canada's first legal online music service, was launched amid much fanfare yesterday," <br> (read it here http://www.nationalpost.com/financialpost/story.html?id=B964B0CE-DBC6-4522-9A07-2B0EA7FA8804)<br><br>Looks like the rights negotiations are complete.<br><br>ap<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Ma - 10/17/03 03:28 PM

You said that twice in the cafe before. Let me put it to rest:<br><br>You are incorrect. Filesharing is considered distribution and thus, it is still illegal to share copyrighted works in Canada. All of these articles that you link to are based on one misinterpretation of Canada copyright law, specifically the part about private copying (which Filesharing is not).<br><br>You are allowed to loan a CD to a friend. If the friend copies it, then you can not be prosecuted. And no, posting your music on Kazaa is not just like loaning your music to thousands of friends - it is public distribution and is illegal.<br><br>

Re: iTunes for Windows - how about for Canadian Ma - 10/17/03 03:33 PM

I shall be put to jail for life... I broke the 11th commandmant of file sharing..... <br>I guess pot is more legal then file sharing here. With an ounce or less all you get is a 250$ fine. <br><br>So lets all smoke the peace pipe and <br><br>___________________________________________<br>I'm just another Mac user at an 8 hour day Dilbert style cubicle job....<br>