AAC V.S. MP3

Posted by: Anonymous

AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/05/03 06:42 PM

Is it worth it to convert all my mp3's into aac files. And if so how would i go about doing it?<br><br>-DutchMasterNYC-
Posted by: JohnR

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/05/03 06:47 PM

If you want to save space, yeah, I would do it...in fact I did. I just did it slowly so I wasn't overwhelmed.<br><br>Just go to the preferences in iTunes and change it to AAC in the importing section.<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.
Posted by: sross

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/05/03 07:35 PM

Welcome, Taylor.<br>I agree with John that it should be done slowly or get overwhelmed. Frankly, I don't hear any quality loss, but I have been a little too lazy to convert my existing stuff. I just import to AAC the new stuff.<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/05/03 09:00 PM

Converting an existing MP3 file to AAC isn't going to improve the quality at all, but as John and Sross have stated, it WILL save you space on your hard drive. I join them in saying, take your time and convert them at your leisure, and just import all NEW music as AAC.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/05/03 11:13 PM

I would say, don't convert your existing MP3's, but start importing new tracks as AAC's. If you still have the original CD's you should rather delete the MP3's and reimport the CD as AAC's.<br><br>

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/06/03 04:00 PM

Thanks. That makes sense, so if i want to convert them i have to delete everything from itunes and re-import them as aac.<br><br>-DutchMasterNYC-

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/06/03 05:22 PM

doh! Here I was..thinking that you meant converting your CD's to AAC. Heck no would I convert my MP3's to AAC.<br><br><br>My stuff for sale.
Posted by: gnfnr2k

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/06/03 06:33 PM

What is AAC?<br><br>

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/06/03 06:45 PM

Straight from Apple:<br>AAC: MPEG-4 audio<br> AAC (for Advanced Audio Coding, a big part of the MPEG-4 specification) is the cutting-edge audio codec thatís perfect for the Internet. AAC encoding compresses much more efficiently than older formats like MP3 (which iTunes still supports, by the way), while delivering quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio. In fact, expert listeners have judged AAC audio files compressed at 128 kbps (stereo) to be virtually indistinguishable from the original uncompressed audio source. iTunes 4 and QuickTime 6.2 is all you need to get started.<br><br> <br><br><br>My stuff for sale.

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/06/03 10:04 PM

Aight no doubt. You guys are cool and you know your [censored]. This forum kicks ass. Thanks!!!!!<br><br>-DutchMasterNYC-
Posted by: squareman

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/06/03 11:00 PM

iTunes also supports (I believe) the vorbis .ogg format too. It is similar to MP3 but is an open standard format with higher quality (don't know how it compares to AAC though).<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/08/03 02:23 AM

John as an audio pro I kind of cringe at the fact of converting an already compressed file into another even more compressed file format. If you have the originals then I would asy go reimport them. It is kind of like turning a jpeg into a gif and then wanting to use it for print!<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com
Posted by: nutty

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/08/03 01:57 PM

iTunes does not support ogg. you have to get a codec for quicktime for it.<br><br>
Posted by: NeilMac

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/08/03 02:22 PM

I took the same view. Re-encoded everything from CD to AAC at 192kps sampling. No break-up on live acoustic guitar pieces anymore. Happy bunny.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: AAC V.S. MP3 - 08/08/03 02:25 PM

ah, then I must already have it installed, 'cause I can play my ogg files w/iTunes.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>