New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks

Posted by: John Rougeux

New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/07/15 10:13 AM

I am getting a little tired of how it seems that Apple has to switch things around for whatever reason. Sometimes it was easy to figure out how to work whatever.

But now with the Music app, they made it so convoluted that I can't figure out how to just play the music!

Usually I load up my iPhone with music I want to listen to. I would select Songs at the bottom, it would list all the songs, and then I hit play all songs and shuffle.

Now?

Open up the app:

Click on Artist:

Select Song:

Where's Play?? I guess I can hit a song, which I do...but how do I tell it to shuffle?

And look how small the Play button is now?! sheesh.

Posted by: Reboot

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/07/15 12:10 PM

I haven't updated but here's the shuffle.

Apple dumbing things down again.

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/07/15 12:14 PM

Playlists.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/07/15 01:52 PM

Quote:
And look how small the Play button is now?! sheesh.

Although not obvious, if you click anywhere on the bar down at the bottom (aside from the little red icons themselves) you'll get a larger window with a nice big control buttons and scrubber. This is also one of the places you'll find the shuffle button.

Click here (black circle):

To get here:

Pretty damned unintuitive, if you ask me -- there's no indication that bar is even a live, clickable area; and if the big track window isn't going to automatically open when you play a song (like it used to), the shuffle button really does need to appear on that main screen.

Speaking of which ...

... there doesn't appear to be a way to get rid of the elephantine "Recently Added" section that hogs all that space in the main window. Yes, it scrolls away as you browse the list, but it is completely unnecessary as a big huge display like that -- it feels like an unwanted advertisement (even though I know it's not). This really belong in the "songs" dropdown or something ...

As usual, if they had made these things optional ("Collapse Recently Added," perhaps, or "Play Tracks Using Large Display") it would have been a much better solution ...

I'm a big advocate of letting Apple find its personality in the post-Jobs era, but man, their UI in this app and in iTunes on the desktop is completely in the toilet*

*Although In this instance, I'm not unconvinced they're intentionally making it more convoluted to play your own music in order to drive you towards the streaming subscription, the controls of which seem simpler (although still a bit arcane in their own right in some ways). You know where their heads are at when four out of the five buttons in the main menu down at the bottom have nothing to do with playing your own music =P ...
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/16/15 03:31 PM

Thanks for that. It's been driving me nuts.

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/16/15 05:00 PM

Short drive. smirk
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/17/15 02:24 PM

Why you little… laugh
Posted by: Jashue

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/25/15 06:00 PM

You are so right.

I typically listen to my music shuffled (and yes it took me too long to figure out how to do that) until I find a song that strikes me well enough to listen to either A.) the album from which it came, or B.) a genius playlist generated off that song. Neither of those options are easy to do either. I've pulled it off-- but for the life of me, I can't remember HOW I've done it. Good software should be easy to figure out. This is not good software.

I've tried to give myself time-- thinking it's just me; that I'll warm up to 8.4. To the contrary, it's only upset me more and more. Someone at Appl needs to have their head examined for designing this POS and someone needs to have their head examined for approving it.

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/25/15 06:56 PM

Who was that masked man?

Also iTunes 12 and Yosemite Photos features taken away, Yosemite Mail lack of multiple SMTP server ports, and that buggy auto detect settings.

No sir, I don't like it.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/26/15 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
No sir, I don't like it.

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 07/26/15 04:31 AM

grin
Posted by: Krohnium

Re: New Music app (Apple) in 8.4 totally sucks - 09/03/15 12:33 PM

I hate it so much. I didn't even realize it updated to this new, dumb, format until today. (Note that I updated yesterday.)

I hate how albums are now alphabetical placed by the artist instead of the album name itself. I've been so use to finding albums in a certain place in my library. Now they are all over the place.

Also, how if an album is an album done by various artists. They decided to give them a separate section you have to pull up instead of keeping them in the album section where they belong.

Plus, this whole new set up just looks crowded and ugly. I hope they get enough of these to switch it back to the old format and keep whatever it is they are trying to do now with this radio bull.