Voice memos

Posted by: Papa

Voice memos - 01/17/15 01:09 AM

I have some voice memos on my phone that I want to put in iTunes but can't get them to transfer. I have them checked under music in the phone preferences but they will not transfer. I saw a program called iPhone Manager that will do it but was wondering why the transfer would not work and if there was something I was missing.
Posted by: Reboot

Re: Voice memos - 01/17/15 02:47 AM

So you have 'Sync voice memos' checked in iTunes, is that what you mean? It should put them into your Songs and reference them in a Voice Memos Playlist.

Re: Voice memos - 01/17/15 03:18 AM

Sync voice memos is checked in iTunes. They do not show up in songs and are not referenced in the Voice Memos Playlist.

Re: Voice memos - 01/17/15 04:30 AM

Try unchecking then sync, then check it again and sync.

BTW iExplorer works well to transfer. The demo can transfer something like 10 tracks at a time.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Voice memos - 01/17/15 03:56 PM

If that fails, just email them to yourself and, then transfer them to iTunes.

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
If that fails, just email them to yourself and, then transfer them to iTunes.

Good idea, but what do you know OFI. grin

Were we that young at one time? wink

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 02:52 AM

I tried your last suggestion of unchecking then syncing and checking and syncing and that didn't work. I downloaded the trial version of iExplorer and it recognized everything on the phone except for music. I have a couple of voce memos that are too large to email and I need to burn them to a disc. I am on Mavericks so I can't use Air Drop.

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 03:46 AM

Does your iExplorer look like this except sans Rick James when your phone is plugged in?

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 03:57 AM

There is nothing there when expanded. It is blank.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 01:21 PM

Try this ...
Go to your iTunes media and move all voice memos to an alternate location.

1) I backed up and sync your phone
2) deleted the voice memos playlist in iTunes
3) deselected "include voice memos" under the Music tab
4) clicked "Apply"
5) when sync was done, shut down iTunes
6) disconnected and reconnected iPhone and restarted iTunes
7) reselected "include voice memos" under the Music tab
8) clicked "Apply"

A new Voice Memo playlist will be created with your voice memos in iTunes.
Hopefully the sync will place the new files in the folder.

Now move the previous memos back into the folder.

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 03:27 PM

The problem is though that iExplorer doesn't even see them on his phone so there's nothing to transfer over into iTunes. There is nothing showing up in the Media Library on his phone like in the pic I posted. It's not iTunes, I think something is corrupt on the phone.

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa
There is nothing there when expanded. It is blank.
Like I said to Dave, I think something is corrupt on the phone. How much free space do you have?

Michael had the right idea, we need to find some way to get the voice memos off the phone so it can be fixed/restored. If you were to do a backup and restore now you would lose your voice memos since those aren't being backed up.

BTW I don't even think AirDrop would work, nothing outside of the phone can see them.

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 04:18 PM

It is an iPhone 5s running 7.1.2 with 9.2 gigs of free space. I tried another file transfer program and it saw the media including the voice memos but the program would crash as soon as I tried to transfer the memos. I did get one of the smaller voice memos transferred by email just to see if that would work.

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 10:57 PM

To bad you can't use your browser and do it with Gmail. Gmail allows 25 MB files to be emailed.

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 11:00 PM

Did you try DiskAid ?

Re: Voice memos - 01/18/15 11:02 PM

iPhone Browser

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 12:19 AM

I can't get any of them to go by email now. Tried gmail, yahoo, and Apple and the small ones won't even go. Now all my apps for phone and iPad are missing from iTunes. They are in my home music folder, just not in iTunes

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 12:23 AM

I haven't tried those two programs yet. The two I tried did not work. One wouldn't see any media and the other crashed when I tried to use it. I am beginning to think that iTunes may be hosed.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 01:29 AM

Or your phone. eek
Do you have another Mac to test it on?
Possibly one with an earlier version of iTunes.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 01:38 AM

This looks promising.. but it's $25 and you have to be running 10.8

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 01:49 AM

It does the same thing when I plug in my Mini iPad. In iTunes, it shows the apps on the home screen but there is nothing in the apps column to the left of the home screens. I have another Mac but neither the phone or the Mini have ever been synched to it.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 02:15 AM

It does the same thing when I plug in my Mini iPad. In iTunes, it shows the apps on the home screen but there is nothing in the apps column to the left of the home screens. I have another Mac but neither the phone or the Mini have ever been synched to it.
If you make sure that iTunes on the other computer has 'Prevent devices from syncing automatically' checked in Preferences/Devices before you attach the device you'll be be fine. Just Agree to everything, it will ask on your device for an Okay also. It will show up in iTunes.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 02:26 AM

Semi great minds work together. I checked the phone on my iMac with an older version of iTunes and all the apps were there along with lots of updates. I am running the newest version of iTunes on the laptop.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 03:07 AM

I should have given Nuc credit for the idea of using the Mac with an older version of iTunes.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 12:24 PM

whistle

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 05:57 PM

Semi great minds work together. I checked the phone on my iMac with an older version of iTunes and all the apps were there along with lots of updates. I am running the newest version of iTunes on the laptop.
Strange, iExplorer should have seen it too. I didn't think iTunes had anything to do with how iExplorer works. Hmm.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 07:17 PM

iExplorer saw all the apps. It didn't see the voice memos. None of the apps are showing up in iTunes now on the notebook with the new iTunes. The iMac with the old iTunes saw the apps on the phone but did not see the voice memos. All of my apps are in the Mobile Applications folder in my home folder. they just don't show up in iTunes.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 07:54 PM

Okay, so it still can't see the voice memos even on the old iTunes, bummer. Again, something is corrupt on the phone unfortunately.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 08:21 PM

What about the missing apps on the new iTunes? They don't show up in iTunes with the phone and the Mini. They did show up in the old iTunes.

Re: Voice memos - 01/19/15 09:23 PM

What about the missing apps on the new iTunes? They don't show up in iTunes with the phone and the Mini. They did show up in the old iTunes.
If I remember right the different screens show on the right but not the apps to the left of that. Is this using a USB cable or wireless?

Is there just a wide blank area where the apps should be?

Re: Voice memos - 01/20/15 12:39 AM

I got them back and all is well except for the voice mails. I guess I could send them to Garage Band and do it that way. I tried Air Dropping them too the iPad and that didn't work either.