iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2

Posted by: garyW

iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/06/14 07:25 PM

In the process of updating my devices to work seamlessly with Yosemite on my new iMac, iPhone 5S upgrade to iOS 8 went perfectly. I love the way my iMac and phone share notifications and I even take calls thru the iMac if that's convenient at the time.

iOS 8 on the other hand pooched my iPad2. Screwed it hard. Removed the life out of it. Made it a pain to use. Safari is nearly impossible without endless efforts to (unsuccessfully) load many of the sites that I use. Now it struggles just to open the Settings app.

Previously it was snappy and stable on iOS7. And Apple has now made it impossible to restore with 7. Apple stopped the possibility of reverting to iOS7 in September, although the software download can be found, iTunes restore will stop and state there is no "signing" to allow the install and instead installs iOS8. I poured through tons of articles and discussions and there seems to be hundreds of posts where iPhone4 and iPad2 are bricked or left in a zombie state (like my iPad).

I've wiped it and reset to factory setting, fresh install of iOS8, turned of almost all preferences that might slow it down .... situation is the same.

Suggestions? My (once) perfectly great iPad is now almost useless. <pissed>

Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/06/14 07:58 PM

Apple store close by?

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/06/14 08:09 PM

I've read too many posts with people going to the genius bar to be told that you can't revert to 7. Apple support discussion thread always say that conclusion is Apple's answer. Yet iTunes still allows iPhone4 and iPad2 to be updated to 8, and that seems to be the kiss of death.

I have not found one tidbit of info online that iOS8 and iPad2 is a good mix ... except for Apple giving software update alerts to do it.

If Apple would allow a 7 restore there would be no problem, but they yanked that possibility. Why? I guess so I'll buy a new iPad. <bleh>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/06/14 09:54 PM

See Leslie Hollis.. she had issues with her iPad and 8 also. Maybe she can shed some light?

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/06/14 09:58 PM

no clue what you're talking about.
Posted by: Reboot

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/06/14 09:59 PM

I've had the same complaints from my brother, and any of my customers that have the iPad 2 and updated to 8. My 4s iPhone is definitely a bit clunkier. Oddly I don't notice it near as much it in third party apps. It happens with the Apple apps like Safari, Settings is slower to respond, and in general any maneuvering around the iOS is slower. It doesn't make it unusable but my brother has to Force Quit Safari or reboot the iPad to speed Safari back up on a regular basis.

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/06/14 10:08 PM

.... and now the WiFi connection sucks even when it's 10' from the modem. Before I had full bars at any location in my house.

I used my iPad a lot to stream music to my home audio system. Now it's unusable because of constant dropouts.
I used to be able to watch my stock charts in real time. Now it won't even load them.
I used to be able to use the TWC app to watch news & stuff on it, now it stutters and won't load.

I can't even receive or send mail reliably with it now because mail "sometimes" loads.

Photos in my library won't even load in high res, they're half baked.

... and everything is painfully slow as it hangs on the most simple tasks. Typing is a joy when the letters appear 5 -10 seconds after I hit the keys.

And to top it all off, iOS8 made many of the apps uglier and the system font lighter, bitmapped and harder to read. iOS8 looks great on my phone but horrible on iPad2.

Yosemite looks so incredible on my new iMac 5K and is unbelievably fast at every task. It sure seems Apple made the choice to abandon support for older hardware or even try to make it work.

I did a complete reset and fresh install twice.Like I've said, it worked perfectly in iOS7. I don't think it's user error except for the fact I trusted the system update alert and went ahead and did it without reading up on it for that particular device.

One more oddity I forgot to mention. On both installs at boot up the screen brightness is so low it's hard to read the welcome startup instructions. As soon as the home screen comes up I can adjust the brightness to where it should be.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/07/14 12:22 AM

You do mean 4s don't you? I recall that it was stated that even though the 4s could be upgraded to iOS8, it was not advisable due to the "slow" processor. My 4 cannot upgrade to iOS8, and iTunes doesn't offer it.

Edit: The iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s have the same processor - A5.

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/07/14 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
My 4 cannot upgrade to iOS8, and iTunes doesn't offer it.

You lucky guy!

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/07/14 02:52 AM

Leslie Hollis was a member here. You can find her in the FB MC forum. Thought you were a member there.. guess not. Move along... nuttin to see here.

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/07/14 02:53 AM

Perhaps jog your memory.

https://www.facebook.com/leslie.hollis.75?fref=ts
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/08/14 05:00 PM

Have you done the upgrade to 8.1? I seem to recall that that was supposed to help somewhat.

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/17/14 08:49 PM

8.1.1 released with bug fixes for iPad2.

<woot!>

hoping for a good result .....

20 minutes later: So. Much. Better.

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/17/14 09:21 PM

Cool. I have a friend who's afraid to update. Should I tell her to stay on 7. or update?

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/17/14 10:30 PM

I haven't spent too much time on the iPad today since the update but things seem to be working fine. I updated to 8.1 because I was hoping for better wifi performance with my AppleTV and I wanted to take advantage of the "continuity" features with Yosemite. If this isn't a reason for your friend to update their iPad2 then I would suggest sticking with OS7.

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/18/14 03:53 PM

Safari and Mail still miserable, 8.1.1 didn't help with that. I'm seriously thinking I'll replace my iPad now. <bleh>

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/18/14 04:48 PM

Damn. That sucks. I guess i will learn from your experience.. no upgrade for my daughters ipad.. and I should probably go ahead and sell it with iOS 7 on it. Then upgrade to a newer model. Yaaaah. more money for Apple

I see Chris Breen says this on the subject.

Quote:
This one fails the "What would Steve do" test. Under his leadership Apple routinely stopped signing older versions of iOS (the policy was, in fact, instituted when he ran the joint). Yes, even when older devices struggled with a new operating system.

As we've said over and over, if you have an older device, wait to update until you've heard reports of how they perform with the new operating system. That way you can update based on the experience of others.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2687162/how-to-downgrade.html

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/18/14 05:04 PM

iOS7 was released September 2013, it's barely over a year old. It made my iPad2 run perfect and without any complaints. If Apple didn't cancel the signing of 7 last month there would be no issue .... we could just reset and downgrade.

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/18/14 05:39 PM

Yeah.. I get it. frown
Posted by: drjohn

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/24/14 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
"What would Steve do" test. Under his leadership Apple routinely stopped signing older versions of iOS (the policy was, in fact, instituted when he ran the joint). Yes, even when older devices struggled with a new operating system.

What does "signing" mean?
Posted by: Reboot

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/24/14 03:43 PM

Signing means Apple okaying the software for installation. If it's not signed yes you can't use it. The device checks with Apple for authentication. When you try to downgrade using unsigned software it puts the device into recovery mode and forces you to use the latest.

Shortly after they release a new iOS, they unsign the version before.

Apple knows best. Ha ha
Posted by: drjohn

Re: iOS 8 totally screwed my iPad2 - 11/24/14 08:15 PM

Thanks, Jim.