safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud

Posted by: KateSorensen

safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/08/13 05:36 PM

Safari is something I never sync'd to iCloud. But I just spent hours cleaning out old bookmarks and decided to sync it so I'd have the same thing on my iPhone and iPad.

In System Prefs, iCloud I clicked on the Safari box to sync and it aid it would merge my iMac Safari with iCloud bookmarks. Since I was sure there was nuttin there I went ahead and sync'd. I rebooted all my Mac devices and went to iMac to see that all my old sheet [with one "i"] was back!

No problem, just go to Time Machine and get the old one back from last I cleaned it up.

I cannot get to the place they are supposed to be stored:

Am I up sheet [with an "i"] creek without a paddle or dead in the water?

Anyone? tia OS 10.8.5

Posted by: Jim_

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/08/13 06:22 PM

HD/Users/ethel/Library/Safari not HD/Users/ethel/Library/Caches etc. smile

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/08/13 06:47 PM

So when you look in your TM backup under ethelsorenson/ there is no Library folder? HD/Users/you/Library is invisible in the Lions.

Open the Terminal. Run the following command: (You can copy/paste)

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE;killall Finder

Go to the location of the missing hidden folder in your TM backup. HD/Users/ethel/Library/Safari/bookmarks.plist

When done run the following command to hide files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE;killall Finder

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/08/13 07:34 PM

Thanks for the easy to follow instructions. I completed all and have on Safari iMac, the modified bookmarks I worked so hard at cleaning up.

I went to System Preferences to check Safari box to snyc and it asked if I wanted to merge IMac Safari BM with iCloud Safari BM.

I said "Git outta hear"

I searched Apple site, forums, Google on the basics of syncing so I could make my iPhone and iPad Safari BMs same as on iMac, but found nothing. I can live with what I have. smile

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/16/13 05:16 PM

Following up.

Haven't given up on this yet. Have read many discussions in Apple Support and boy do they have long complicated instructions that sometimes worked for people and then not for others.

This link Explains what I am most recently trying. This is my third try using these instructions. This time, I am waiting a long time [long enough for my iMac to back up Safari cleaned up bookmarks to iCloud, and then I will turn on iCloud Safari on the iPhone and iPad.

Ho hum. Like I have nothing else to do anyway. Ha. Was going to call AppleCare support but still want to see if I can get it worked out on my own. I also wrote a post on the Apple Support forum and got response I got so far.

Winston Churchill Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
HT4910 Re: Safair Bookmark sync using iCloud, iMac
Oct 16, 2013 2:33 PM (in response to Starmillway)

Turning on syncing Safari means syncing your Bookmarks, in addition to tabs and reading lists, the message is only checking that this is what you want to do, if you don't want to sync your bookmarks, you shouldn't enable Safari Syncing.

If you have any suggestions that you think might enhance iCloud, such as options for separate Safari sync features, you can send Apple your feedback here.

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/19/13 12:48 PM

Solution in link has not worked for me. Thinking my problem might be: Not waiting long enough for my good BMs to be backed up on cloud, I waited forever before activating iPhone and iPad. Did not work after two tries.

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/19/13 04:17 PM

Did you make sure that you quit Safari on the computer before moving the bookmarks.plist file around or making a copy of it?

When I delete/add a bookmark from the phone it takes about 5 minutes to go to the computer. When I delete/add a bookmark from the computer I seem to have to go to one of my bookmarks on the phone, then back to bookmarks for the change to show.

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/22/13 07:42 PM

Yea. Problem Fixed
Once a problem is uncovered it seems so simple how in the heck could one have missed it!!

Okay, I've been on a Mac since time began, or since Mac began. I originally had an Apple account using my yahoo address as the name, etc. to identify me when I went on the Apple site or bought anything, registered, etc.

Move forward when they announced we could have a neat dot mac dot com address and add star mill way to that.

The Problem
Now use both of them when communicating/logging in at iCloud. I used one addie on my iMac and a different addie on the iPhone and iPad.

Poor iCloud. It did the best it could in trying to sync my bookmarks. But not the way I wanted them.

All of my visiting forums, apple support sites, trying one solution after another [several times each because I was sure I was missing out on a step or two] produced no fix for me.

Today?

I called Applecare and within 5 minutes or less he discovered what was wrong. Took longer to fix it but I now a syncing properly with all my iCloud stuff, especially Safari.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
=============================

Wish I could remember all of the process but of course I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

The Fix
After logging out of iCloud on my iMac [iMac had the BMs I wanted] I then logged in again using dot mac dot com star mill way and password. I entered Safari, bookmarks, edit, and deleted ALL bookmarks. Clicked on "done." Quit Safari. Went back to devices main page, hit home button twice and swiped up on Safari quitting it for good. Back to open Safari and BMs were updated correctly [sync'd].

Because of my memory, I would not swear on the life of my first born that the above instructions are absolutely accurate, but to the best of my recollections, it is pretty close.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
=============================

Thanks Jim for the moral support. smile
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/22/13 08:02 PM

YAY!
Memory? I don't know how people remember doing something once ten years ago, and remembering what button to push now.
Because the buttons have moved.
And they're called something else now. grin

Just glad you figured it out!

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/22/13 08:34 PM

Ahh ha. How about that.

Kind of related is the fact that Apple asks one when setting up the iPhone if one wants an iCloud email address. They have you set one up then people start using it for the App Store etc when they had already been using a different Apple ID. It causes confusion as you see. I see multiple Apple IDs all the time. When I'm in front of the devices it's obvious to me, but I didn't see yours so I missed it.

They used to do the same with .mac. They make it seem like you need it to use the cloud.

It's kind of a pet peave for me, but then again I make money by ironing these problems out for people.

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/22/13 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Ahh ha. How about that.
It's kind of a pet peave for me, but then again I make money by ironing these problems out for people.

I wouldn't want you starving or living in a doorway. wink I'm thanking Apple for making work situations for you.

Re: safari bookmarks sync ing to iCloud - 10/22/13 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Originally Posted By: Jim_
Ahh ha. How about that.
I wouldn't want you starving or living in a doorway. wink I'm thanking Apple for making work situations for you.
LOL, it is a love hate thing for sure. grin

Fortunately there's always Windows machines, which are at least half my business, usually disinfecting them.