The things we like about iOS7 thread

Posted by: Jim_

The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 09:26 PM

There are many new features, but the GUI is still Fisher-Price. I showed it to my geek Android buddy at bowling tonight, he gave me his sympathies. grin

But this thread is for what I/we like.

One of the coolest and least lauded ones is find My Phone.

If I read this right if your phone is ever stolen it can never be used again as a phone.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 04:09 AM

Call & Text blocking!!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 05:10 AM

Now that is good news!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 05:11 AM

I have yet to discover something I don't like.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I have yet to discover something I don't like.

OK.. Will Rogers. smile

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 06:45 AM

I like the Command Center (swipe up from bottom). Love that I don't have to click here, then here then here to turn something on or off.

I also like the new filters for the camera.

The buttons/colors for engaging and hanging up the phone are nice. Easier for me to hit with my thumb.

I like how the new tabs are in Safari. Easier to scroll through and find what you want.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 06:50 AM

Love, love, LOVE the passcode entry screen - the buttons are way bigger and no more accidentally hitting the delete key instead of a number (because they took out that delete key completely -- maybe a bad thing?). Anyways, keying-in that passcode is SO much easier for me now.

Really like the zoom animations on everything. Like that there are no longer bars but dots for phone signal quality -- I think the bars were a bit counter-intuitive and sending the wrong signal (see what I did there?) as to what the bars really measured. Although I do note there's no longer an indicator of what kind of network you're using (LTE, 3G, etc.) -- at least, I haven't seen one yet ...

There's a lot of little other things -- overall pretty happy so far. But then, I really don't use my phone for too much other than as a phone, alarm clock, camera and mail. Not really into the massive amounts of apps and stuff.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 07:00 AM

If you look at the lock screen, down at the bottom right..says Cancel. Once you start typing a number, it changes to Delete. smile

I love the new lock screen too.

And mine shows LTE.

Also, these features:

The ability to restrict all data to Wifi. Very nice when you have a small data package.

The ability to select which uses Cellular

Did I say that I like how you can block a caller/texter now??

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 07:02 AM

Also, things definitely seem zippier on the 4S, which is great! LOVE the new compass app (that also serves as a level! neat!). Really digging the swipe-up and swipe-down panels (or whatever they're called) Now I can activate the flashlight AND see the non-existant entries in the calendar I never use, right from the lock screen ;-)

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 07:09 AM

Quote:
If you look at the lock screen, down at the bottom right..says Cancel. Once you start typing a number, it changes to Delete.

See, that's just good thinking right there! Brilliant!

Quote:
And mine shows LTE.

Hmmm ... your screenshots don't show that -- just shows the dots, carrier and wireless icons, just like mine. Is there a new location for the little indicator?

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one

Hmmm ... your screenshots don't show that -- just shows the dots, carrier and wireless icons, just like mine. Is there a new location for the little indicator?

Ok, so you made me go outside and check the mail and get outside of my wifi zone

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Ok, so you made me go outside and check the mail and get outside of my wifi zone

Ah, I see what's happening. Before, the wireless icon was in addition to the network icon. Now it's replacing the network icon when using a wireless network.

Thanks for going the extra mile -- sorry to make you go outside and enjoy the day a little ;-)
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 10:48 AM

i like everything so far in the OS itself. There are some things I don't like about the upgraded apps, like the NY Times iPad app, which is clunkier than the previous version (IMHO). But I really do like the OS changes. The tinker toy look--I don't see it that way, I guess.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 05:14 PM

Voice recognition finally doesn't automatically start in caps when adding something to a sentence. It always made the first letter a cap. Now it recognizes that there is no period so you probably don't want a cap. I use VR a lot so it bugged me every day many times. They took their time fixing it but at least they did.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 05:45 PM

I use VR a lot too. It actually works pretty well in Japanese too even with my less than native intonation. A lot better than typing in accuracy surprisingly. Glad to hear its even better now but I haven't tried it yet.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/21/13 06:05 AM

Lock screen - swipe the entire screen rather than the "old," much smaller slider. As someone else has stated, the pass code entry is much more accurate.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 09/30/13 12:48 PM

Mail is much better. In 6 mine would sit there many times saying Updating and I couldn't do anything with Mail till it got done. I even cleared out most of my Mail from the phone.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 10/01/13 06:36 PM

Background app updates.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 10/01/13 06:39 PM

Can you set that only update over wifi? If not data usage/charges could soar.
And if so.. where?

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 10/01/13 07:05 PM

I believe it only updates over a strong wi-fi connection. My data usage has not changed.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/06/13 03:57 PM

I just discovered this: My entire iTunes library is available via iCloud which was not, as far as I know, in iOS6. It can be switched on/off in the app settings. Since I only have my carrier's minimum data plan, I don't think I'll be using it when I'm not on wi-fi. This feature does not require iTunes Match, either.

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/06/13 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
This feature does not require iTunes Match, either.
Is the library available when not on wi-fi?
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/08/13 11:51 AM

I like that the App Store got faster on my aging iPad 2. Not super-quick, but not soooo slooooow that I avoided it when possible. I don't mind using it now!
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/08/13 11:59 AM

Hey! Welcome back, stranger!

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/08/13 12:15 PM

Aging iPad2?? Oh no! That means mine is aging too crazy

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/09/13 08:26 PM

It appears that it is. I haven't checked that yet, though.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/09/13 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

Quit talking about aging iPads; my iPad Air is three days old already!

wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/10/13 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Originally Posted By: yoyo52

Quit talking about aging iPads; my iPad Air is three days old already!

wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

cool
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: The things we like about iOS7 thread - 11/12/13 08:52 AM

Thanks!

Weird that the iPad 2 is still on sale, but mine is certainly very functional.

I'll keep it for my iCade (faster HDMI out) and for testing, when I upgrade to Air.