The things I don't like about iOS7 thread

Posted by: Jim_

The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 09:01 AM

Quite a few things so far. It's not just because it's a different GUI from what I'm used to either.

Too flat, ugly. The screen is now full of nice looking 3D icons from the developers mixed with the Fisher-Price look Apple has given their icons. It looks like something for a kid's toy.

Hate the white type. Making it bold helped but I had to change my Wallpaper to something dark to be able to read everything.

Lack of a noticeable division line between items, especially in Calendar. The wasted space at the top when in portrait, and especially landscape view, a lot of wasted white space, it lists the days of the week, cutting off a lot of viewable screen space. Maybe I'm missing something but where is weekly view now showing the whole week rather than having to scroll sideways, like it is here?

In Safari I like how it now goes full screen when you start to scroll down, but you used to be able to pull down and get the address bar, then touch the bottom of the address bar and it would scroll the top, not any more, you have to manually scroll all the way.

The home screen is still just a bunch of icons instead of useful data. The Android OS shows things like weather, stocks, news feeds along with app icons if you wish.

My overall opinion so far, meh. Flat and fugly Fisher-Price look.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 09:19 AM

I like the flat look=faster access to my content. Overall, the OS is much snappier on my aging 4. Calendar seems to be more useful to me now. Even on my 4" screen, Week view shows me 3 days and the daily view is much more informative. Give me a week with iOS 7 just to see if I find anything irritating.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 09:23 AM

I love the new look. The flat icons look SO much better than the old ones. I hope they all change to the new look.

I like the new Text app. and the phone app is a lot better and the End Call button is (for me) easier to see and click on.

Haven't fooled with Safari enough yet, but so far I like.

As for the Android home screen, I wonder how much battery life those things you mention eat up? I don't need to see stocks, weather or news all the time. That's what apps are for.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 09:38 AM

Looks like Wall Street likes the new iOS although it didn't like the new iPhones.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 09:42 AM

WTF does Wall Street know anyway?

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 09:47 AM

But a week is 7 days not 3. smirk Daily more informative? How so? Especially since screen real estate has been cut off and the partial hour time division lines are gone.

Like mentioned, I figure that they went flat maybe for speed, but I don't notice any difference in speed on my 4s in anything. I don't see why they wrote a flat boring OS for only one model. iOS7 won't run on anything less than a 4.

Weather is fugly too. Flat and boring.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 12:56 PM

My sentiments exactly. Fisher Price. That was the opinion of some writes when they previewed it months ago.
Flat 2 dimensional icons for speed on older models... meh. My 3G ran fairly sophistcated star map apps with no problem.. 3D icons are...what... 30 k?

Should have been 3D lenticular-type hologram icons by now...lol.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 05:11 PM

Just looked at weather. Wow. That font and light background have such a "flimsy" look, like it might fly skyward any second. Reading has been the most troublesome for me. I looked all over for a really solid black background and finally made one for my iPad. In reality it is sharp and easy to read. The same might not be true of this picture but just to give you an idea,

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/19/13 09:27 PM

I was still hoping for more on the home screen than just icons but maybe Apple doesn't want to be accused of stealing from Android. It would make the phone so much more useful. Why have to launch an app just to see the weather, check stocks, look at email previews, etc?
Posted by: lanovami

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 03:55 AM

"Fisher-Price look Apple has given their icons. It looks like something for a kid's toy."

Yeah, that's a pretty decent description for it.

It seems easier to resize webpages in Safari, which is often necessary with such a small screen.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 04:11 AM

I do agree with the idea that it almost feels like you got a new phone.

And I am happy they made sure it was compatible back to iPhone 4.

Some changes do seem pointless. Now the on/off toggle switch for setting doesn't read off or on, b/c you are supposed to know. I am guessing when it shows green, that is on? Not sure.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 04:16 AM

I'm seeing all 7 days of the week on my landscape calendar.

My current gripes are:

* No control over the background colour of folders/springboard

* They fiddled with the Safari interface to favour you northpaws smile - so now the Bookmarks icon is to the right of the url box instead of to the left, and that's not configurable. >:(

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 04:59 AM

"* They fiddled with the Safari interface to favour you northpaws "

Yes! I knew I forgot something, I noticed that too. I also tried to configure that to no avail. Annoying.

Got me curious how many southpaws are here among us, now that you mention it, but I guess that's a different thread. Is "southpaw" used in the UK? Curious, as it originally comes from baseball.

Sorry, derailing again.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 05:07 AM

Pull down Notification Center. Right at the top - Day, Date, current weather. Stocks are there. Calendar events are there.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 06:36 AM

Another new feature - that when you're on the home screen and tilt the (for example) iPad Mini, the wallpaper "moves" relative to the icons - is pretty, but is causing me motion sickness.

I don't think southpaw is in common use here, but most people know what it means - and I enjoy referring to the out-group as northpaws laugh.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 06:39 AM

Yeah, I had never heard northpaw or thought of it. I like it and will use it. Japanese people use it and are not aware it is an English word. Even though they don't know what south or paw means.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 06:40 AM

Audiobooks in the music app: they've gotten rid of the chapter list view, so now if you want to jump to a specific chapter/point in the book you have to use a 1 1/2 -inch scrub bar with your meaty ape-descended finger to precisely navigate a 14-hour novel.

Dumb. I have no idea who thought this was a good idea.

Also, in Weather and some other apps, there's no obvious way to delete entries from your saved locations. Used to be an edit button that would pop-up little minus signs next to the entries. Now, you're supposed to somehow intuit that swiping the entry left will reveal a big delete button. Took *forever* to figure that out. The user shouldn't have to spend time madly gesturing everything they can think of to discover how to do simple things ...

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 07:00 AM

Don't like they way lock screen notifications blur-out the entire screen -- before, they were in boxes over the background image. I know that blurring-out the screen makes the new, unboxed notifications easier to read, but since there's usually a notification of some sort up there more often than not (at least for me), it kind of defeats the purpose of having a pretty picture there at all =P

In Mail, while in the mail-list view or when reading an e-mail there's no longer an indication of how many unread mail messages are left -- you have to go all the way out to the Mailboxes view to see that.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 07:36 AM

Quote:
Audiobooks in the music app: they've gotten rid of the chapter list view, so now if you want to jump to a specific chapter/point in the book you have to use a 1 1/2 -inch scrub bar with your meaty ape-descended finger to precisely navigate a 14-hour novel.

Check to see if scrubbing is like it was in iOS6 videos... as you are scrubbing slide your finger down screen (sorta at an angle... but mostly down) and you will get finer increment scrubbing rates.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 09:15 AM

Quote:
Check to see if scrubbing is like it was in iOS6 videos... as you are scrubbing slide your finger down screen (sorta at an angle... but mostly down) and you will get finer increment scrubbing rates.

Yeah, you get half-speed scrubbing, but no indicator where one chapter ends and another begins, so you're reliant entirely on dead-reckoning. And even the half-speed scrubbing doesn't help too much unless you know which chapter corresponds to which time code. But it is *something,* I guess =P

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/20/13 07:10 PM

Workaround:
Start at Opening of the Book. Then press the forward or backward button and this brings to to next Chapter or Back.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/21/13 08:48 AM

You could always go for the constantly changing and updating tiles of a Windows phone. wink

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 09/30/13 12:50 PM

One thing I forgot to mention. Before I did the upgrade I did not have the Passcode lock enabled at the time. After upgrading it enabled it. I knew my code, but if someone had not used the lock for a long time they might have a problem if they forgot what they set way back when.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 10/01/13 06:31 AM

During set up, mine prompted me to enter a new passcode. I simply entered my old passcode and all is well. I did have it disabled prior to the upgrade simply because it was a PITA most of the time. Since the upgrade, it's much more accurate and responsive.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 11/10/13 02:51 PM

The one thing that I can definitely say I dislike (this was also present in previous iOS versions) is the Apple Store app does not have an option to view the certified refurbished products available, at least, not that I can find. I guess that's an app deficiency rather than the fault of the iOS, though.
Posted by: garyW

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 11/18/13 07:43 AM

I'm still pissed off about the lame Music App.

Was coverflow and album art tiling too cool and simple and useful? I can't select an artist's music by album art any more, I have to scroll through the entire list of albums and songs.

Was coverflow licensed software and Apple lost the right to use it? Is tiled album art with options to arrange by Artist or Album Title too practical ? auuggghhh.

I use my iPad as my primary source of music from my iTunes library. With headphones it has always been a pleasure . until iOS7 screwed it up, dumbed it down, took away basic UI features.

And thanks Apple for replacing the album art that accompanies the Artist list with some stupid Apple Store headshot of the artists . now I've got to look at all this horrible crap instead of the album art I used to be able to modify to my own choosing.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 02/11/14 10:03 AM

Someone phones me. I answer it. Later, I think I've missed a call, because there's an alert counter on the Phone app icon, to tell me I received a call that the phone knows I answered. Snarl.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 02/11/14 01:53 PM

Hmmm. I haven't had that happen.

Re: The things I don't like about iOS7 thread - 02/11/14 02:45 PM

Same thing happens to my 4s. I thought it did it in iOS 6 too but can't say for sure.

Sometimes I can make a call and it shows up. Not all of the time, haven't really bothered to see what brings it on.