iOS7

Posted by: MacBozo

iOS7 - 09/13/13 06:53 AM

Who's jumping on it next Wednesday? My iPhone 4 gets most of its features, so I'll probably be the first in my household to upgrade.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iOS7 - 09/13/13 07:03 AM

I'm going to hop on it. I'll do what I usually do, a download only through iTunes and then do the update.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: iOS7 - 09/13/13 11:09 AM

I'll be jumping right on it!

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iOS7 - 09/13/13 01:46 PM

I'll install right away.

Re: iOS7 - 09/16/13 01:22 PM

I've begun to get app updates that are iOS7 ready.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 10:26 AM

It is out now. Downloading is really slow, already had an error on my phone while downloading, so that means starting over!
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 10:44 AM

Still says my iPod 5 is up to date.
Will try again after work. frown

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 10:46 AM

Are you checking through iTunes? Because mine says it is up to date, yet when I go through the Settings on my iPhone, it says iOS7 is ready to download..

Man, preparing update is S L O W

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 11:04 AM

Yeah, I tried… "Network Error".
They are getting SLAMMED.
What happened to all those billion dollar server farms? wink

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 11:32 AM

Just showed up. I'm doing a "Download Only" in case I get bumped.

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Are you checking through iTunes? Because mine says it is up to date, yet when I go through the Settings on my iPhone, it says iOS7 is ready to download..

Man, preparing update is S L O W

That was my experience too, John. I'm just about finished on iPhone and will do the iPad next.

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Just showed up. I'm doing a "Download Only" in case I get bumped.
Wow, where have I heard that suggested before. LOL.

I prefer doing phone system updates through the computer for a number reasons. It's a 1.2G download. It's a lot for the phone to download and process. Slow to download, slow to process the update.

Plug the phone in, it should ask to Download Only. You can unplug your phone and go do whatever while it's downloading. Then just do a check for updates later and it's already downloaded and ready to go. I like to back up to both iCloud and my computer all the time, but prefer to restore straight from the computer, it's a lot faster even on a good day.

Not only are their servers slammed downloading, they're slamed from all of the phones backing up to the cloud before the updates.

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 12:53 PM

Posting from iOS 7 on my phone! Have had it for over an hour now. Love it! Only one thing I keep forgetting...swiping right to left to delete emAils now instead of vice Versa.

Otherwise, it's pretty cool

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 01:18 PM

jesus, joseph, and gwendolin! It got all done and said it could not download it and try again later.

So I tried again and got this message:

I Reboot[ed] again and tried to download just the info and got same message.

I read the more information page but too confusing for me.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Pfffffffft ;(

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 01:38 PM

Download took 11 minutes, update took 10.
I'm in!
(Sorry, Kate!) frown
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 01:42 PM

I'm updating over the air: downloaded and processed fine (although SLOW), then kept bouncing back an error during the verification saying Software Update was unavailable and to try again. For an hour or so i was flashing back to the 80's trying to buy Springsteen tickets (redial, redial, redial!) ...

Just as I started typing this, it finally verified and it appears to be updating as we speak -- just have to threaten it I guess ;-)

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 01:44 PM

I know I'll get pooh-poohed for this, but repair permissions on the hard drive using disk utility in your utilities folder. The last couple of iterations of iTunes had a problem with permissions for some and throwing up errors when it was trying to back the phone up and save files to the hard drive. It happened to me a few weeks back. I did a Google and it said to repair permissions on the hard drive. That fixed it.

Repairing permissions is not really just a placebo.
Posted by: Mike

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 01:58 PM

After the first 'Network Error' I unplugged the iPad and then plugged it back in and started the updating process again. This time it worked and took about 20 minutes.
However, quite frankly, I don't like the looks of iOS 7.... eek

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 02:09 PM

Oh my goodness, it is verifying update on iPad thru iTunes and says it is going to install in 2 minutes????

Liar, liar, pants on fire. After 45 minutes it just said "Software update unavailable. Software update is not available at this time. Try again later."

Will try repairing permissions, Jim.

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 03:36 PM

So far so good.
Tip One: Settings/General/Text Size make larger.
Tip Two: Settings/General/Accessibility. Large Type ON! Bold Text ON! Increase Contrast ON!

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 06:17 PM

I must have read something wrong. I though it said "Swipe down at any home screen to Dismiss Spotlight."

Great feature though, but Dismiss?

Hmm, on mine there is now no bar on top on the Home screen. Cellular bars are now dots, all text at the top is white.

Anybody else?

This is all 5 minutes after reboot BTW. Time to play.

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 06:30 PM

Less 3D in the GUI makes sense. Faster response, on older hardware especially. Didn't read it anywhere, just IMO makes sense.

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
I'm updating over the air: downloaded and processed fine (although SLOW), then kept bouncing back an error during the verification saying Software Update was unavailable and to try again. For an hour or so i was flashing back to the 80's trying to buy Springsteen tickets (redial, redial, redial!) ...

Just as I started typing this, it finally verified and it appears to be updating as we speak -- just have to threaten it I guess ;-)
One of the few, the proud, the persistent. smile
Posted by: lanovami

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 09:38 PM

All this feedback makes me think I might wait a bit to let them work more kinks out. I own an iPhone 4 (even though I bought it well after 5 was out just because I am a cheapskate.)

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 09:46 PM

Stay with what you have. It works, and works well. Right?

Edit: Don't listen to me. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 10:04 PM

Unless y'all think it's okay to make the jump now. I value your opinions.

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 10:07 PM

Didn't see your message Acum. Prob will wait and see then. All the tech sites make it sound like the second coming

Re: iOS7 - 09/18/13 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Originally Posted By: six_of_one

One of the few, the proud, the persistent. smile

I finally quit and went outside to play. The devil made me come back in and try again. I said the heck with iTunes and did it like 6 of 1 -- over the air. Started it and went outside. Don't know how much later I came back but it was ready for me to do the little things to finalize it. Did the same with both iPhone and iPad and I am now in business.

Had to change my background pictures. The font is too skinny making it light so on a light background I couldn't read stuff. Yeah,I made the font larger but that appears to be for certain apps that support that kind of enlargements.

Safari is far out! Really changed. I'll get use to it though. Don't mean I won't fuss and bitch now and then wink

Photos has an interesting touch/arrangement of pictures.

Re: iOS7 - 09/19/13 05:40 AM

I finally got my 4 updated last evening. I did the direct over the air method on the phone which did take a very long time. iTunes finally updated properly to 11.1 too. So far, I like iOS7 (the few minutes I spent doing a quick explore and then hitting the sack).
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iOS7 - 09/19/13 07:55 AM

I updated the iPhone and the iPad, both via iTunes, with no hitch at all. Everything's working so well that David Bowie is going to make an album of the experience.

Re: iOS7 - 09/19/13 08:11 AM

Ground Control to Major Tom? grin

Re: iOS7 - 09/19/13 09:23 AM

I'm going to play with it for a week or so, before I attempt the challenge of installing it on my wife's iPhone 4 and my daughter's 5. I'm the wild and crazy one of the group. wink

Re: iOS7 - 09/19/13 04:06 PM

I'd say that's a good idea, Michale. Some folk will be totally lost, like my neighbor. She is still getting use to having switched from a Blackberry to the iPhone. The more I know, the better I will be able to help her.

Posted by: ScoutX

Re: iOS7 - 09/19/13 08:32 PM

I upgraded to iOS7 tonight (Thursday). I did the Download Only in iTunes while I was busy doing practical stuff (like eating). Then, when I finally got the courage to push the Update button, it only took about 5 minutes to do the update. iOS7 seems pretty responsive on my iPhone 4S, certainly no slower than iOS6, and possibly faster. So far, it seems like a pretty solid upgrade. Everything works, nothing to fear. I really appreciate the Control Center (swipe up from bottom). Also the password screen seems easier for me to use; I too often made fat-finger mistakes in iOS6. I don't mind the "flatness" of the icons, never having been a big fan of Corinthian leather and spiral bindings. But I think "flatness" sells short the look. While the icons themselves may be "flat," the overall look has 3-D-ness to it. What do I not like? Still no import of my mail filters via iCloud, and no mail filters at all (that I can find). Why must I deal with spam on iPhone that I effectively block in OS X 10.8? iOS7 doesn't seem groundbreaking to me (on the iPhone 4S), but a nice solid upgrade. I'll continue to enjoy finding features. Cheers.

Re: iOS7 - 09/20/13 05:33 AM

"Everything's working so well that David Bowie is going to make an album of the experience."

Ha! That got a nice long giggle out of me. I'd have just liked it, but we're in the wrong website.