TM restore destroyed back up capability

Posted by: NucleusG4

TM restore destroyed back up capability - 01/05/13 10:43 AM

I took my older HD out and installed a newer larger drive for my boot.
I couldn't get TM to do a restore till I pulled the install disks out and put an os on the disk. Then I restored from TM and all was good.
But I notice when launching several things that they are acting like first time launches.. weird.
Whatever...pushes on...

But today on trying to sync the iPad and iPhone I have problems.
Apparently at some point I decided to not back up the Music folder since my drive was at capacity.... but I'm getting head of myself.

A few months ago I was having problems launching iTunes.. so I rebuilt the library. I renamed it iTunes1 and I had problems when launching iTunes under the new library... problems with the iPad and iPhone not being recognized. Warnings that if I synced it would wipe the devices and restore from the computer. I don't remember what I did exactly to work it out..The end result is now that I am having this problem again... the computer thinks that I have the iPad authorized on 3 different computers... when in reality it's just this one Mac.
That was problem #1.
Problem #2 is the phone. I forged forward with the iPad and synced it anyways... it's just kids games and such on that device.
But the phone is a different issue... I am leery of wiping and restoring the phone.
I look in the new TM restored MobileSync folder and see back ups in two main folders.. with dates inside from 11/12012 and dates from today. That's it.

Ideas?

Re: TM restore destroyed back up capability - 01/05/13 10:44 AM

When I enter TM I see back ups dating back through December and on back......
Posted by: Jim_

Re: TM restore destroyed back up capability - 01/05/13 12:01 PM

How about if you move all of your iPhone backups out of the mobile sync folder, and then just make a new backup for the phone from the way it is. Control click on the phone and go to backup.

Quit iTunes before moving anything around.

You may need to de-authorize all your devices, then reauthorize them.

Just a few things off the top of my head, not at home, on the phone. Make sure you backup all those mobile sync files before you move them out of the folder.

Re: TM restore destroyed back up capability - 01/05/13 02:10 PM

That seems to have worked...
I will give it a day or so before relaxing... lol.

Re: TM restore destroyed back up capability - 01/05/13 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
That seems to have worked...
I will give it a day or so before relaxing... lol.
Which one worked, deleting backups and backing up again or de-authorizing?

Glad you got it. cool
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: TM restore destroyed back up capability - 01/05/13 06:50 PM

I'll play guinea pig. Since I couldn't get iTunes to recognize my original library, I created a new library with all my music from the previous library. The previous library still exists, so I'll sync my iPhone to that library first. I'll then do the new sync to the new library. If things get fubared, I'll still have a fallback.

Re: TM restore destroyed back up capability - 01/07/13 03:42 AM

Deleting the back ups allowed it to back up the iphone with out any messages. Even though it totally restructured my apps layout. weird.

Bozo... I still have my original system HD which I can plug in and use..

I just don't understand why a TM restore causes apps and devices to act like first time launches and connections.

Re: TM restore destroyed back up capability - 01/07/13 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I just don't understand why a TM restore causes apps and devices to act like first time launches and connections.
When you restore certain plists probably don't transfer, I know caches don't either. Also it was a new HD so it may think it was a new machine.

Did your Adobe stuff ask to register again or anything like that? Quark usually breaks in a TM transfer too.