Did I mess up here? Security question

Posted by: MrB

Did I mess up here? Security question - 04/21/12 04:39 AM

Did I mess up here?  Yesterday I updated an app from the apple app store fr my iPad. I was directed to add three security questions and give them a "rescue email" which I did not thinking much about it. I gave them my regular email addy. Now I get this email supposedly from Apple wanting me to click on a link to verify what I gave them. I don't normally click on a link from a place in an email . Even from Apple.

So I havent yet.

But have I messed up already. When I updated the app it asked for my Apple password as it does normally. But asking to add three security questions was different, at least from the App store.

Dave
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Did I mess up here? Security question - 04/21/12 07:33 AM

Dont know...I have run into some sites that run that way...want to join or what ever ...they send you an email to click on to verify you are who say you are, mostly I dont click because you just never know and I would rather be safe than sorry
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Did I mess up here? Security question - 04/21/12 08:11 AM

You're okay, it's something new Apple's doing.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Did I mess up here? Security question - 04/21/12 10:28 AM

Thanks

Dave

Re: Did I mess up here? Security question - 04/21/12 04:42 PM

Okay, a little more on this. I'm getting back amongst the living, been fighting a stomach flu recently, no fun.

I haven't seen this yet, not everybody has. From what I read it probably has something to do with the account. Possibly amount of activity, if you have a credit card on file, balance on account, etc.

They have had some cases where accounts were hacked into one way or another. If your account is compromised they now have an alternate email and security questions so you can get your password reset. In all cases Apple refunded the accounts.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Did I mess up here? Security question - 04/26/12 05:47 PM

In all cases Apple refunded the accounts.

Can they really afford to do that?

Re: Did I mess up here? Security question - 04/26/12 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
In all cases Apple refunded the accounts.

Can they really afford to do that?
laugh