Is apple really in the music biz?

Posted by: squareman

Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/03/03 01:20 PM

According to MM homepage, people are expecting another showdown between Apple, Inc. and Apple Corps. I thought of that myself when Apple first announced iT4. <br><br>But is Apple really in the music business? They don't produce the music; they don't own the music; all they do is distribute music through access via technology. That's more of a technical service than a music service. <br><br>I think Apple Corps has a big bone up its but and has for a long time. It's not like iT4 will encroach on any of the Beetles royalties. And it's not like Apple Corps is doing any business in today's world that I'm aware of&#151;take a look<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/03/03 01:23 PM

Oh, I don't know. They've been pretty busy as far as I can tell here.<br><br>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88439,00.html#2<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates
Posted by: squareman

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/03/03 01:36 PM

Okay, so Apple Corps only business is protecting the royalties of Beatles anthologies. Nothing Apple, Inc. is doing is going to cut into that. <br><br>If Apple Corps is only doing this in the interest of protecting their trademark, "Apple Corps" then there's something wrong with trademark law. I don't think anyone is going to confuse the two identities.<br><br><pre>** sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn **</pre><p>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/03/03 01:38 PM

Apple is most definitely in the music service - distribution is part of the music business. However, I fail to see how Apple Records has a leg to stand on. There are plenty of companies who have the name of Apple, Apple Employment Services comes to mind.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/03/03 04:27 PM

Well, when push comes to shove, if Apple Corp. wants to take on Apple Computers in the courts, they could be in for a long haul.<br>I know they did it before, but the financial muscle Apple computers has now is stronger than before.<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/03/03 10:05 PM

Isn't there a law that says you can't trade mark everyday words (like the Windows Vs. Lindows case)? If so wouldn't Apple fit into that category?<br><br>"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. "
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/04/03 07:11 AM

That's what I meant when I said they don't have a leg to stand on. They don't have the same logo, they don't really sell the same product, and the name is a common, everday item, so I can't see how they can possibly win a court battle in this day and age.<br><br><br>Click here to visit me.
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/04/03 07:47 AM

Not that this is the same thing, but it goes to show you how stupid lawsuits can be...<br><br>The World Wildlife Fund successfully won the rights to the initials 'WWF' in a lawsuit against the World Wrestling Federation.<br><br>Yeah, like anyone's confusing THOSE two organizations...<br><br>[color:red]DaddyMac's MP3 to AAC conversion: left to go...</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/04/03 08:57 AM

I got a fund raising letter from some organization called WWF, and sent money--only to discover that it was the Witches' Worm Fund. Lord, I almost sued myself for being so dumb <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: PointBreak

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/05/03 01:51 AM

Did they send you any worms?<br><br>Need a laugh? Visit CreatorDude.com
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/05/03 08:45 AM

A whole can of worms <br><br><br><br>Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/05/03 08:46 AM

you know what they say, don't be opening a can of ....<br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Is apple really in the music biz? - 06/05/03 10:38 AM

If push comes to shove Apple Corp will hold Steve Jobs to his original agreement. A contract they both signed off on. However, I think this is all very encouraging. If by bringing the Apple's together, it affords the opportunity to renegotiate, it could be a win-win.<br><br><br><br>"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates