iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update

Posted by: padmavyuha

iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/01/12 10:40 AM

Since updating to 10.6 (and now 10.6.1), my phone does nothing when I plug it into the USB and into the iMac. The 2 cables I have both work fine in my mains charger, but if I plug the phone into the iMac now, it doesn't charge and doesn't connect with iTunes. I've tried all the USB ports, naturally smile.

Looking at the Apple discussion forums, I'm not the only one experiencing this. Grmmmbll.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/01/12 10:52 AM

I have a 3GS that someone gave me because it wouldn't charge or be recognized by their Mac, so they got a new one and had this one laying around. I put it into recovery mode and did a factory reset and it's been working flawlessly for almost 4 months.

They were also one that had a ton of apps loaded. I don't know if that was the cause, if it was a buggy app, or if it just needed a full reboot. Is yours jail broken?

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/01/12 12:51 PM

Yes, jailbroken and not had this problem until iTunes got updated. And, as I say, it's happening to a number of other people too.

I've also just updated an app (Activator) on the phone, so I've written to the dev in case he hears other reports from people with a similar issue. At least I can still charge it, and I can back it up over wifi using an app.

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/01/12 04:28 PM

Try reinstalling Apple Mobile Device Service.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1747

I might suggest restarting after step 12 if that doesn't work. Maybe the kext can load without a restart but it's worth a shot.

Also, any reason you stopped at 10.6.1? Just curious, something you have that won't work past that?

Edit - Check out the Additional Information link at the bottom of the support page too.

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/02/12 03:53 AM

I'll look into that when I have time, thanks.
*edit* No I won't, as that's for OSX 10.6.8 and earlier.

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Also, any reason you stopped at 10.6.1? Just curious, something you have that won't work past that?

Um, 10.6.1 is the latest version of iTunes, isn't it? I'm running !0.7.3 as the OS, if that's what you meant.

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/02/12 06:29 AM

I see, 10.6.1 was referring to iTunes.

I believe the same kexts etc may hold true for OS 10.7.x.

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/03/12 10:17 AM

Yeah, the clue was in the topic title smile.

I'll take a gander at the kexts thing soon, I hope. Mad busy right now.

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/05/12 11:56 AM

The kext thing didn't work, alas. I'd love to try installing an earlier version of iTunes, but I foolishly didn't keep any installers, and Apple seems bery, very diligent at making sure you can't download earlier versions for macs.

Anyone got a copy of a iTunes 10.5.x installer they could send me a link to?

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/05/12 12:23 PM

I have a 10.6 and a 10.5.2. I'll upload them and the post the links here when done.

Edit

Re: iPhone won't connect via USB since iTunes update - 04/07/12 09:45 AM

Thanks - now I just have to figure out how to reinstall 10.5 without killing my itunes library smile.