Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!!

Posted by: iMacsoontobe

Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 04:57 AM

Greetings,

Well I'm at a crossroads of sorts....

Been using the "family" iMac and the kids hook up their ipods and all is good, at least till now.

We have bought an iPad for my one daughter, but she will probably just "tap" in to the iMac for songs and such.

We are very strongly considering buying an iPhone for my other daughter for Christmas. So I think she would have to set up her own Apple ID. Would she be able to put some songs on her phone from the iMac, or would she have to purchase them again?

Also, will she be able to load pics and files, ect "wirelessly" or will she have to connect to the iMac? Not sure if the iPhone or the iPad for that matter can "see" other devices on the wireless network? I'm still running SnowLeopard on the iMac, not sure if that matters.

TIA,

And Merry Christmas!!!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 05:06 AM

She will be able to load any songs onto her phone from iTunes, wether purchased from iTunes or not.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 07:49 AM

Are you sure about that?

If his daughter has a different/new AppleID, then AFAIK, you can't put any purchased music/apps/games/etc on that other phone.

As for iCloud:
Quote:
iCloud requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2; a Mac computer with OS X Lion; or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars). Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
Music features of iCloud require iOS 4.3.3 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2; iOS 5 on iPhone 4 (CDMA model); or a Mac or PC with iTunes 10.3.1 or later. Download iTunes 10.5 free.

wiFi Sync, which is what you asked about:

Quote:

Wi-Fi Sync
Wirelessly sync your iOS device to your Mac or PC over a shared Wi-Fi connection. Every time you connect your iOS device to a power source (say, overnight for charging), it automatically syncs and backs up any new content to iTunes. So you always have your movies, TV shows, home videos, and photo albums everywhere you want them.

You set that up in iTunes

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 08:13 AM

I read this on another site, trying to find it on Apple:

Quote:
Just keep in mind that if you have two Apple ID's, and one of you buys Angry Birds and the other likes it and want it too, you will have to purchase it again. Your apps are tied to the Apple ID account, therefore, two accounts, two purchases.

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 08:33 AM

Thanks John. I guess if she connected her iPhone to my iMac without setting up an Apple ID, it may request mine in order to update the iPhone with music. Maybe I should let her us my ID, till she has her own laptop, probably next year for college, then she can set up her own.

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 08:46 AM

If you do that, make sure she doesn't purchase anything other than music (like Apps, books, etc) because then she will have to re-purchase it once she gets her own ID.

As far as music goes, she can burn it to a CD and re-rip it and then load it on her iTunes/iPhone under her own ID later on.

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 10:47 AM

Are you sure about that?

Yes.

Quote:
As far as music goes, she can burn it to a CD and re-rip it and then load it on her iTunes/iPhone under her own ID later on.

You just proved my point.

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 10:57 AM

Yeah, but maybe he didn't know that?

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/15/11 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Yeah, but maybe he didn't know that?

LOL I knew that!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/19/11 10:42 AM

What would enabling Home Sharing in iTunes do (or simply sharing your iTunes library)?

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/20/11 06:34 AM

Ok, here is what I found out.....

My "iTunes" Apple ID is my "real" one for purchasing ect....

My other one I probably set up for Applecare or registering one of my macs.

So for now, if daughter gets iPhone she can use my iTunes Apple ID and have access to everything. She won't use iCloud under that id because I may want to someday, and if she would set up her own Apple ID she would not have access to our iTunes purchases.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Merry Christmas peace to all!!
Posted by: chris9288

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/26/11 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
She will be able to load any songs onto her phone from iTunes, wether purchased from iTunes or not.

Yes.. she can. Moreover, she can use iCloud for faster transfer.
Merry Christmas.

Re: Apple ID, iPhone, iPad oh MY!!!! - 12/26/11 05:43 AM

Yes.. and a Merry one to yours.