Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD

Posted by: OldMacUser1995

Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 11:51 AM

I just had to replace the hard drive on our G4 Imac. The computer seems to be running well, and I'm able to watch DVD and listen to CDs.
I just imported, the new version of iTune, it said on my computer, but I cannot seem to import any CDs, though I was able before our last hard drive crashed.
The message error I'm getting is: An error occurred while trying to import the file, "New CD I Want"

The current encoder settings for bit rate & sample rate are not valid for this file."

What do I do now to change the bit rate and sample rate setting so I can start to import CDs again?
I have the OS 10.4.11 on my computer and 160 GB hard drive space now. It's the white half circle one that sits like a pedestal with its flat screen attached to it.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 11:56 AM

I'm at work, so can't verify this yet...but what about in Preferences for iTunes?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 12:20 PM

Which version of iTunes?

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 12:39 PM

It asked me if I wanted to import ITune 10.1. I think that's part of the problem.
I'm only on Tiger 10.4.11 and I think I can only go with ITune 7.
How do I get rid of the new iTunes version 10.1, and how to check to see if it was installed?

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 02:06 PM

If you are on 10.4, you will want iTunes 8: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL857

To delete iTunes, just drag it to the trash. I'm surprised you got iTunes 10 to install since it requires 10.5

To find out the version you have installed, start it up and then under File, choose About iTunes. That will tell you.

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 02:13 PM

Oh, and to check the settings, go to File, then Preferences to get this screen:

Click for large view

then click the import settings button to get this one:

Click for large view

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 04:28 PM

wow. you guys are good and I'm most grateful.
I just took your suggestion and changed the settings to Apple Lossless Encoder under Import Settings and now it's starting to import the CD I wanted to import.
Love Keith Urban, : )

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 04:46 PM

Yup, got my Defying Gravity by Keith Urban CD loaded and working on my Buffalo Springfield. I'm going to back up this hard drive. I hate losing all my music when the hard drive dies.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 05:44 PM

Just bear in mind that Apple lossless files won't play on most other devices. You may choose Mp3 for that... so that your files can played on non-apple devices.
You can play them on Windows if you apply a codec to their Media app... but it's not going to work on most "MP3" players.

Not saying AAC is bad.. just that it has some limitations.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safa...-8&oe=UTF-8

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2405173
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/15/10 11:46 PM

Once you've got the tracks on your mac, you can get iTunes to convert them to other formats (without losing the original tracks) if you need aac or mp3. The Apple lossless files will be good quality but pretty large.

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/16/10 04:15 AM

That's good to know... didn't realize that. I kind of wish that I had gone that route. But then again, I import for MP3s at 160kb and have over 40 GBs of music. I wonder what that would be in AACs? LOL

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/16/10 07:17 AM

i'm not concerned about MP3 players, we have an ipod instead and it works great. How do you make the files smaller though Padmavyuha?

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/16/10 07:52 AM

darn it...again I'm at work and I know the answer to this one, but can't provide screen shots.

Along the top, after File, can't recall, but one of those drop down menus has the option to convert for iPhone/iPod I think.
Posted by: trey

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/18/10 10:45 AM

Quote:

i'm not concerned about MP3 players, we have an ipod instead and it works great. How do you make the files smaller though Padmavyuha?

You would do that under the Advanced Menu. Create iPod or iPhone version. BUt be warned that this will make two copies of the file on your hard drive, taking up more space. I'd really recommend using either AAC or MP3 for the format, as you're going to fill up that hard drive QUICKLY using Apple Lossless.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/19/10 11:26 PM

Yeah, I only meant if you've already imported them as Apple Lossless. It does keep the old version as trey says, but if you add Kind to the track columns, you can then sort by type and easily select/delete all the irrelevant Lossless files once you've converted them.

Re: Having trouble importing CDs after installing HD - 12/20/10 04:21 AM

See, that's a problem for me. Why import ss AL to be your masters... then make a lower version.. then delete the masters. Ending up with various degrees of quality......