Free Mobile Me coming?

Posted by: trey

Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/20/10 08:46 AM

According to this story, it's a possibility. What did it used to be called when it was free? That was the last time I had it. I hope this turns out to be true, because I really want the track my phone thingie. And Prey is just taking too long to support the iPhone.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/20/10 09:01 AM

I read that. That would be nice.

As to the former name...iTools!

Click for large view
Posted by: carp

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/20/10 12:02 PM

That would be good

Now that I cannot upload images here .Mac is pretty useless to me

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/20/10 12:31 PM

Holy smokes! OS X has come a long way! trey@mac.com was a cool email address, but not cool enough to pay for, so I had to say goodbye.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/21/10 09:23 AM

There's a thread around here that details how to fix that "problem." It's rather simple. wink

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/21/10 12:24 PM

Thanks but that didn't work- unless I was looking into the wrong thread ?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/21/10 01:16 PM

The rumored "free MobileMe" is a limited set of tools though, not the whole suite of features. That being said, even the over-the-air sync and Find My iPhone might be kinda nice. However, I've not a lot of confidence in Apple's "cloud services." iTools, .Mac, MobileMe - whatever you call them, they're slow, buggy, overpriced, and easily replaced with free apps.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/21/10 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Thanks but that didn't work- unless I was looking into the wrong thread ?
Here's one discussion in Online Services, and another that's not as easy to find in Desktops, the original topic got side tracked to MobileMe.

I'm with JD, it can all be done for free. Apple just packaged it all in one spot. When it actually works right it's okay, but when it doesn't it's a pain. I've found if there is something wrong, sync for example, don't waste time trying to fix it. Just give it some time, within a few hours/days it magically fixes itself, so it's not the computer usually.

Google calendar is so much more reliable for example, never down. I don't recommend MM to everyone.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/21/10 05:16 PM

Go to your iDisk. Navigate in to the Web > Sites folder. Create a new folder and name it Pictures (or whatever you like)(that's inside the Sites folder, BTW). Copy your pictures, etc. from your original iDisk Pictures folder (actually, it will move them to the new folder if you select all and drag them there). After that, the proper syntax is http://web.me.com/username/Pictures (or the name you used)/file.jpg (or whatever the file type it is).

Like this:

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/21/10 06:10 PM

Thanks Michael
yeah I did the picture move before, I guess (ImageWell) keeps defaulting back even when using it under webDave.

I'll try again later.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/21/10 06:16 PM

I hear ya both.

I do expect a little better performance from Apple. More so since you have to pay for it.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 05:11 AM

Since I keep my iDisk mounted (not a local copy) on my desktop, I selected Folder in ImageWell's Prefs and specified the path to my iDisk > Web > Sites > Pictures and it worked - slow, but worked.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 07:34 AM

Thanks Michael
yeah I did the picture move before, I guess (ImageWell) keeps defaulting back even when using it under webDave.

I'll try again later.
No offense Steve, but take the time to read and try to comprehend both threads that I posted links for, carefully. All of your answers and options on this are there and in the links posted in them. The ImageWell solutions, including the one Michael gave above, were posted in those threads. I posted the "Folder" solution he mentioned.

I think I see what some of the problems here are with us trying to communicate with you if you can't take the time to get it from those threads.
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 07:37 AM

I've always had pretty good luck with MobileMe/iTools/.Mac. I've had it since 2000 and plan on keeping it. Heck I still have like 12 GB open on it. If Google offered 20 GB for free I might consider it but for now MobileMe is just fine. It's too easy and that's why I keep it.

BTW, I think the new Find My iPhone freebie is something Apple should have done from the start. Apparently Android has a similar free feature that spurred Apple to do it. Competition is good!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 10:54 AM

Ditto.. nearly always works for me.
I pass GBs of data frequently to my clients via MM.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 12:19 PM

Ditto me, a satisfied customer MobileMe/iTools/.Mac

.smile

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 12:47 PM

Thanks

Testing

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 01:06 PM

You're missing your username in the url, carp.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 01:30 PM

Thanks -but it is in there ImageWell pane User Name.

I then change to placing the username in (host name)

I have this currently in ImageWell.

iDisk.me.com/carp2/web/sites/Pictures <-- like Michael suggested

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 02:08 PM

I moved my pics from the Pictures to the Public folder. The url is as follows:

http://idisk.me.com/username-Public/picname.jpg

In ImageWell I changed nothing besides the Directory field, so it became Public.

That's all.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 02:50 PM

Why did you do that ? ?

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 03:21 PM

Maybe they could start a find me a free iPhone? laugh

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 03:23 PM

I guess we're just going over your head again. smirk

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 03:28 PM

Find my iPhone is cool. This is all I wanted out of Mobile Me.

cool

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 03:32 PM

Why did you do that ? ?
Because that's what works. You can't post pics from the top level Pictures folder anymore.

BTW having all of your pics in the top level Public folder enables anyone to get in read only by just taking the picture name off of the url. A better solution is to use Michael's suggestion about directing ImageWell to the folder you made in Web/Sites using the Folder option in the ImageWell Preferences, that way no one can see everything you have. It was all explained in the 2 links above and Michael's post, re-read it. I can't think of a better way to explain it than what we have done.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 03:39 PM

I know about the general access business, but don't really care. There's nothing in there to keep secret. If I were in the creative arts racket I'd feel different about it.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I guess we're just going over your head again. smirk

I dunno

I follow the suggestions, I believe

1 - Members leave out (information) thinking I should be able to fill in the blanks sorta thingy ? ? I don't know.

Anyway
Following what they are saying is just not working. Most of the promblem is Image Well - I believe , keeps porting in extra ///// or .... that kind of stuff.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 03:40 PM

In ImageWell Prefs, select Folder. That brings up this window:

Click on the Button that has the ... on it to navigate to your Pictures folder on your iDisk (assuming you created a new Pictures folder in Web > Sites and copied/moved your pictures/files there). Then, use http://web.me.com/yourusername/Pictures/filename for the file/pic that you want to post. It still results in a slow transfer/save from IW. I'm going to try some different settings in IW and see if that can be sped up.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 03:45 PM

Thanks - Michael
Yes I done that before

I have a whole list of (picts) screen shots of every attempt - just wish, I could post them.

Anyway
Does my Avatar and sig of the flag - show up ? ?

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 04:01 PM

Does my Avatar and sig of the flag - show up ? ?

Yes.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 04:05 PM

Thanks agin

Ghose
Darn it, even when I went with (Public) it works - just not with iMageWell.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 04:31 PM

omg omg omg, Michael I got the url to work using your instructions [which you gave for the umpteenth time smile ] My pictures are in the Pictures folder, not Public. Now I need to work on the ImageWell stuff. Can you point me to the first thread we had on this subject. I can't find it. thanks

<-- view larger, you know how

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 04:33 PM

I can't remember which thread it was in which is why I reposted the directions/methods. laugh

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen
Can you point me to the first thread we had on this subject. I can't find it. thanks
6th posts from the top of this thread I posted both links. smile

I think the Pictures folder on the top level in your screenshot, underneath Music, is pretty much worthless now, but it can't be deleted, which we did try to do I remember.

HTH smile

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 05:51 PM

Other page with similar discussion http://fwd4.me/p6D

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 06:19 PM

People still use Imagewell? I gave up on it long ago when it went from free to pay, just like mobileme.

Use Skitch...MUCH easier to use and no .Me

https://skitch.com/

As far as the "Find my iPhone" part that is now free, how do you access it?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 06:29 PM

It's not free yet... I do believe.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/22/10 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
People still use Imagewell? I gave up on it long ago when it went from free to pay, just like mobileme.

Use Skitch...MUCH easier to use and no .Me

https://skitch.com/

As far as the "Find my iPhone" part that is now free, how do you access it?

I'm happy for you that you are pleased with your skitch account. I tried it a while back and it was not for me.

I am a satisfied user of me.com and have been for many, many years. It serves my needs much more than just adequately.

The fact that I am now using ImageWell and my Comcast storage is also something that suits me to a T. Different strokes for different folks. However. me.com is still meeting many other needs for me and my iPhone. Thanks for your input, John.

ImageWell has features I have used over the years and am a more than satisfied user. Hope they can fix the me.com thing. If not, maybe something else will rear its head and attract me to come try it out. smile wink

smile

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 12:46 PM

Using Skitch

Whats wrong with this?

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 02:40 PM

For starters, http:/iDisk/web/sites/Pictures is not a valid URL.

iDisk/Web/Sites is not a valid host name.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 04:13 PM

ImageWell's Prefs and specified the path to my iDisk > Web > Sites > Pictures and it worked

From ya post above

Anyway
I must be missing something - I tried Web Dave and FTP and back to Idisk. All don't work.

Maybe
It is the version of imageWell ? I have 2 build 222 ?

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 07:14 PM

I tried WebDav and it stated, "Not supported." Use the Folder settings if you keep your iDisk mounted on your desktop. It's slow, but it works.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 07:38 PM

This is what Bozo was talking about, I think. You get the url to your picture on your iDisk. I don't know how Bozo gets pictures to his iDisk.

It was too slow for me so I gave up on it and besides I need more edit my picts in IW and then send to iDisk.

This is some exercise, eh? I don't think we'll ever figure it out. !!

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
I tried WebDav and it stated, "Not supported." Use the Folder settings if you keep your iDisk mounted on your desktop. It's slow, but it works.

This is just for posting pics to forum/internet, huh? How do you get your pics to iDisk?

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 09:53 PM

I tried WebDav and it stated, "Not supported."
Yep, that too was covered in the links I posted at the top of this thread. I have no idea why he used "WebDav" instead of "Folders" like we suggested.

Sigh.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 09:58 PM

How do you get your pics to iDisk?
You're not talking about using ImageWell, right?

You can just drag them to the right folder through the mounted iDisk icon in the Finder, or use the me.com web interface.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 09:59 PM

I tried WebDav and it stated, "Not supported."
Yep, that too was covered in the links I posted at the top of this thread. I have no idea why he used "WebDav" instead of "Folders" like we suggested.

Sigh.

Because Svend suggested it? http://fwd4.me/pKn

Quote:
f anyone wants to try uploading with ImageWell to idisk/mobile me, then I would suggest that you try using the WebDAV setting instead of the iDisk setting in the drop down list.

iDisk uses WebDAV to upload. When you change ImageWell from iDisk to WebDAV you can type anything you want for the URL to paste after uploading. Also you can change the server from idisk.mac.com to idisk.me.com and the folder.

Hopefully this makes sense.

I don't have a .mac account to test this out.

Cheers all.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/23/10 10:06 PM

Yes he did. So I tried it and I posted my results a few posts below that. "Not Supported."

Sigh sigh? wink

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 06:39 AM

Actually, Transmit (or another FTP client) does it much faster than the Finder or, in this case, IW. I think I'll simply save an IW pic locally and then use Transmit to do the transfer to my iDisk.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 12:31 PM

Yes he did. So I tried it and I posted my results a few posts below that. "Not Supported."

Sigh sigh? wink

Well smarty pants laugh

When hagen posted that I set to work on the fix took a few hours of my time - then read your post much later and tried that and that did not work either.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 12:56 PM

Actually, Transmit (or another FTP client) does it much faster than the Finder or, in this case, IW. I think I'll simply save an IW pic locally and then use Transmit to do the transfer to my iDisk.

Yes Transmit! That situation will speed up your process.

Reboot:

yourself! smile

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 01:01 PM

Well smarty pants laugh

When hagen posted that I set to work on the fix took a few hours of my time - then read your post much later and tried that and that did not work either.

We may have to send Reboot a pineapple and macadamia nuts from Hawaii and some wine from Oregon or he will get miffed at us grin

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 01:50 PM

Sigh sigh? wink
Well smarty pants laugh

Tried what? Hagen said try WebDav, and I reported back that it didn't work, I didn't suggest anything in that post.

Besides, any solution that I posted after reporting back works. I tried them myself first. If they don't work for you you're not comprehending what I wrote and doing something wrong.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 02:19 PM

Are you saying you can:

1. Put a picture in ImageWell
2. Manipulate it.
3. Send same picture to iDisk using ImageWell
4. Post resulting url from ImageWell into a MacTech forum response?

I'm not going to ask you how you did it nor do I want you to direct me to a thread explaining procedure, I just want to know if answers to questions above are all "yes". Thanks

*Using your "Folder" method will not let you send a new photo jpg to iDisk. Right?

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 02:39 PM

When hagen posted that I set to work on the fix took a few hours of my time.

To me, Hagen is saying that it appears ImageWell is not going to work like it use to for .mac. So he will not be updating/revising ImageWell as he knows of no available fix.

Svend:
Don't know. ImageWell connects to idisk.mac.com with WebDAV and that's how it sends the file up to the iDisk. If WebDAV doesn't work with mobile me (idisk.me.com) then ImageWell can't upload the file. If WebDAV works with mobile me then it's just a matter of inputing the server, folder, URL fields correctly for it to work just like the .mac accounts did.

There is no 3rd party SDK for mobile me from Apple. Apple provided a 3rd party SDK with the .mac services but not with mobile me. So it would seem that Apple does not want 3rd party developers to interact with mobile me. Slowly services are being discontinued with the .mac accounts.

Unless Apple starts to document or provide 3rd party SDKs for uploading to mobile me I think the writing is on the wall here - mobile me is not intended for uploading images and linking them in discussion boards.

I'll check for more information, but most likely any update to ImageWell will be to remove the iDisk option. ImageWell is going to be in the Mac App store and they have strict rules about using undocumented stuff and I'm sure using mobile me in an unapproved manner will get the App rejected.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 02:45 PM

Are you saying you can:

2. Manipulate it.

I'm not going to ask you how you did it nor do I want you to direct me to a thread explaining procedure, I just want to know if answers to questions above are all "yes". Thanks

*Using your "Folder" method will not let you send a new photo jpg to iDisk. Right?
1-3 yes. Clarify what you mean in #4 though by "resulting url." Do you mean using the url format http://web.me.com/username/foldername/picname? Where foldername is the folder you made in iDisk/Web/Sites. Yes to that if so.

http://web.me.com/bioflex/Pictures/laxed2.jpg

Quote:
Yes it will let you, I did it with the pic above, that is the method I recommend to use if not using an FTP app.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 04:54 PM

Are you saying you can:

2. Manipulate it.

I can do all those things. Not a big deal with the Public folder.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 05:48 PM

What I am getting is no matter what the (location) is chosen.

Image Well will auto fill, either "homepage" or add extra /// and even .... sorta like this (//.Pictures) that kinda of stuff.

I must be doing something wrong, I'll try again later.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 06:10 PM

-*-*-*-*-

ImageWell, after sending your image to iDisk, puts the url on the clipboard so you can paste it into a post here.

Re: your pic in the post. Did you send it to your iDisk from IW or did you drop it into your iDisk from the "cloudy" thing in your finder?

I guess I'll just remain impressed that you and yoyo can do this thing and resign myself to the dummy section smile.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

I can do all those things. Not a big deal with the Public folder.

Next time I'm in New Jersey, can I drive over to your house and see how you do it? Okay?

.smile

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 06:59 PM

I actually don't have MobileMe, I have no need for it, but I do administer for a few clients that use it so I am familiar with it.
ImageWell, after sending your image to iDisk, puts the url on the clipboard so you can paste it into a post here.
Okay, that cleared something up. I've never used that feature I guess. I just manually upload to my web space my ISP gives me or my website.

Obviously the information ImageWell is sending to the clipboard is now wrong, that may be where our miscommunication has been. I didn't know you used that feature.

So use ImageWell to upload using the Folder function, but make sure the structure of the url is like I posted above.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/24/10 07:11 PM

blush

wink

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/25/10 12:16 AM

All right Buster! You are busted!!

smile

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/25/10 12:22 PM

In ImageWell Prefs, select Folder. That brings up this window:

Click on the Button that has the ... on it to navigate to your Pictures folder on your iDisk (assuming you created a new Pictures folder in Web > Sites and copied/moved your pictures/files there). Then, use http://web.me.com/yourusername/Pictures/filename for the file/pic that you want to post. It still results in a slow transfer/save from IW. I'm going to try some different settings in IW and see if that can be sped up.

Ohh you know what - I don't have that folder option , in Locations. All I have is iDisk - FTP or WebDave ? What version of Image Well you have maybe thats it.

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/25/10 02:53 PM

Re: Free Mobile Me coming? - 11/25/10 03:29 PM

Thanks that explains it?

I mentioned before I have version 2 build 222.