App store frustration

Posted by: NucleusG4

App store frustration - 04/10/10 05:55 PM

OK.
Color me an idiot.
I just spent 10 minutes at the apps store looking for a way to browse the apps by category. They used to sections like.. Entertainment/Utilities/Science/Etc.
Where on this page is the list???

Each category I go into shows me 100 apps at most.

I was able to find a couple of categories by accident and when I back up in the menu.. I ended up on this page again.

It frustrates me to no end.. because if I have problems with it then I'm sure others do too.

Aren't there over 100,000 apps?
Not according to this main page.. several hundred that I can find at best.

Help.

Posted by: carp

Re: App store frustration - 04/10/10 06:24 PM

Here ya go , Its in the App Store drop down menu , at the top , there is a tiny little drop down menu <-- hard to see

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: App store frustration - 04/10/10 09:37 PM

Well thank you Steve! Wish someone had asked that question long ago. Now I will go back and look for stuff in the store again. Funny how obvious where something is once you get shown, but up until that time, I was positive it was no where on the site.

Re: App store frustration - 04/10/10 10:09 PM

To be honest , I miss them little tiny arrows all the time .

If I remember correctly iTunes used to have Tabs ? well still does . Before it was in a tab which brought you to a App store page that had off to the left a complete menu , like the one I posted above . Now it just brings you to the latest and greatest apps , like what David posted .

Re: App store frustration - 04/11/10 05:21 PM

Bwahahahhaa...too funny.
I never click and hold for the drop down.. I just click it like it's a tab. Which, as you say, is how it used to be set up.

Thank you!
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: App store frustration - 04/13/10 11:38 AM

If you don't want to wait for endless needless graphics to download, you can just hit cmd-B in the iTunes Store and get a browser instead, much much quicker for looking up films, tv, app store... you can temporarily customise the columns for sorting them more usefully, it's just so much easier.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: App store frustration - 04/13/10 01:39 PM

Well that's handy. I don't care what anybody says, you're a pretty decent little freak. grin

That's much more comprehensive than their "Top what evers." I like the way the cmd-B browser does the genre, sub genre, artist, album, songs. I don't see sub genre type of choice in the regular flashy iTunes window, am I missing something? It seems to just go by their blessed Top, best selling, etc categories.

Re: App store frustration - 04/13/10 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
If you don't want to wait for endless needless graphics to download, you can just hit cmd-B in the iTunes Store and get a browser instead, much much quicker for looking up films, tv, app store... you can temporarily customise the columns for sorting them more usefully, it's just so much easier.

Thanks Pad.. that's much better.
I don't care what Reboot says.... you will always be my fave freak.

Re: App store frustration - 04/13/10 06:18 PM

Still having problems finding all apps.

We all know the app store has over 100,000 apps. That is so last year...

When I view in Column mode (Command-B) it shows all categories in the list. It starts with books but as you scroll down it goes through all of the categories.
And at the bottom it show that it is showing 6000 items.
Total for all categories.

Where does one view all 100,000 apps?
Even if it's in sections..?

Re: App store frustration - 04/13/10 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
OK.
Color me an idiot.
Okay, what color do you want to be painted? laugh

If you click on each category the item count changes. Many seem close or at 6000, Weather says a 1058, Social Networking 5833. 20 categories x about 6000 apps ea = around 120,000.

What shade was that again? wink grin

Re: App store frustration - 04/13/10 09:05 PM

Pink for the girly man laugh

Re: App store frustration - 04/14/10 12:04 AM

Freak? Not sure whether to be insulted or flattered smile.

The thing I most like about browse view is you can right-click on the column headers and add the columns you want that are missing, click to resort list by different order, etc. They don't always stick, though. In apps, that's a quick way to, for example, look for an app by a particular dev (when you can't remember the app name, or you like their work and want to see what else they've done).

Plus it doesn't take forever to load up all those pretty pictures.

I said that already, didn't I? What a freak.

Re: App store frustration - 04/14/10 09:35 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
Freak? Not sure whether to be insulted or flattered smile
Feel flattered fellow freaky friend. grin

Re: App store frustration - 04/14/10 10:46 AM

I'm kind of half/half furry/fabulous these days smile.

Re: App store frustration - 04/14/10 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
OK.
Color me an idiot.
Okay, what color do you want to be painted? laugh

If you click on each category the item count changes. Many seem close or at 6000, Weather says a 1058, Social Networking 5833. 20 categories x about 6000 apps ea = around 120,000.

What shade was that again? wink grin

Not for me it ain't. Here's a screenie. Whatever category I click on it says 6,000 at the bottom. And that list is all categories together. I scrolled down so you see it switch to Business apps...

Posted by: yoyo52

Re: App store frustration - 04/14/10 07:58 PM

Gee . . . I looked at the bottom, and all I saw was . . . well, you get the picture. smile

Re: App store frustration - 04/14/10 08:01 PM

What if you click on Weather all the way at the bottom.

Re: App store frustration - 04/15/10 05:08 AM

Weirdness abounds...

I get an abbreviated list... smaller sections and less apps total.

Then I clicked on Utilities and got 5999 apps.. then on Travel and 6000... then on Weather again and it was still 1059.

Re: App store frustration - 04/15/10 05:58 AM

That's all normal. Weather has 1059. There are around 6000 for most categories, but not all. Try Finance, 3068, Medical, 3723. It all looks okay, I think you've got the duh cap on on this one. smile

What color was that you wanted again? grin

Re: App store frustration - 04/15/10 07:26 AM

I think I see the issue. It's cross referencing the apps. There are 726 Weather apps in the weather app category.. out of a total of 1059 weather -related apps. Some of the weather apps are from other categories...
Posted by: zwei

Re: App store frustration - 04/16/10 07:33 AM

You probably won't be able to browse all of them. The ones that aren't popular may only show up via keyword search.