iTouch users can now make calls

Posted by: carp

iTouch users can now make calls - 12/22/09 12:59 PM

Vonage Unveils iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry Apps

Yep theres an app for that - maybe I should have posted this in the iTouch forum

Anyway good news for iTouch users and the app is free .
Posted by: Mike

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/22/09 03:16 PM

Good microphone/headset needed for the 'Touch'?

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/22/09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike
Good microphone/headset needed for the 'Touch'?

Good question ?

But ya can make calls off the iTouch , go figure
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/22/09 03:46 PM

The microphone that comes with the new iTouch is pretty good. It records me really well, anyways smile
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/22/09 05:45 PM

There is also TruPhone, Fring, and Skype, which all work with the Touch.

Apple mic with headphones?
Here's my old review: linky
And, unfortunately, I still think they suck.

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/22/09 05:55 PM

Lets hope for those with a iTouch that Vonage made some improvements ? ?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/22/09 09:53 PM

Only problem for me with that is that I use my phone a lot all day. I rely on cell towers for constant coverage. I'm not always around wifi, and I don't want to be tethered to a headset. I want to pick up the phone and answer it.

It is great for people that use VoIP apps a lot though. You don't need to bring your computer to the hotspot to use VoIP.

I wonder if VoIP works on the iPhone over 3G? I'll have to RTFM.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: carp

Yep theres an app for that - maybe I should have posted this in the iTouch forum

BTW, it's Touch, not iTouch. wink

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 10:46 AM

Correct , well its iPod Touch , the full tag .

Anyway

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 10:50 AM

Yeah that is sorta an issue being tied to wifi .

But hey Ford is coming out with wifi cars that have mobile modems built in . So buy a Ford ya be good to go with the iTouch laugh Not sure how that works , I would think you can still drive out of coverage even with a modem ?

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 03:17 PM

But hey Ford is coming out with wifi cars that have mobile modems built in . So buy a Ford ya be good to go with the iTouch laugh Not sure how that works , I would think you can still drive out of coverage even with a modem ?
You'd have to have something to connect to though, wonder if it's satellite? That's interesting, I wonder what kind of modem. Let me know if find anything out.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
You'd have to have something to connect to though, wonder if it's satellite? That's interesting, I wonder what kind of modem. Let me know if find anything out.

Ford is making its cars into mobile Wi-Fi hot spots.

The next generation of the Sync in-car entertainment and information system will use a USB mobile broadband modem to establish a secure wireless connection capable of supporting several devices simultaneously. The system will be available next year on selected models — no word yet which ones — and you won’t need a subscription or hardware beyond the modem.

“While you’re driving to grandma’s house, your spouse can be finishing the holiday shopping and the kids can be chatting with friends and updating their Facebook profiles,” said Mark Fields, Ford president of the Americas. “And you’re not paying for yet another mobile subscription or piece of hardware because Ford will let you use technology you already have.”

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: starmillway

Ford is making its cars into mobile Wi-Fi hot spots.

The next generation of the Sync in-car entertainment and information system will use a USB mobile broadband modem to establish a secure wireless connection capable of supporting several devices simultaneously. The system will be available next year on selected models — no word yet which ones — and you won’t need a subscription or hardware beyond the modem.

“While you’re driving to grandma’s house, your spouse can be finishing the holiday shopping and the kids can be chatting with friends and updating their Facebook profiles,” said Mark Fields, Ford president of the Americas. “And you’re not paying for yet another mobile subscription or piece of hardware because Ford will let you use technology you already have.”
They don't specifically say what technology Ford will use to connect to the internet backbone though. My assumption now is 3G since it will be able to connect while the vehicle is moving, that's the way they make it sound anyway, since they said "Ford will let you use technology you already have." I take that as your current mobile phone account.

Satellite would take a transmitter to get back to the satellite so I doubt that come to think of it, unless they use your mobile account as the up flow, and the satellite as the down flow.

Maybe one car manufacturer understands the market anyway.

Thx Kate.

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 04:42 PM

Thanks Kate ya beat me to it .

Very Cool for Ford

Next question is;
When other car companies start adding mobile modems to their line of models as well as Ford . Eventually every other car has wifi

Would this trip up cell phones "cell Towers" and make them obsolete ? ?

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 04:50 PM

Would this trip up cell phones "cell Towers" and make them obsolete ? ?
It all depends on how they get to the backbone, but I doubt it. The more I think about it the more it seems it would have to be cell towers.

If it was satellite, remember, getting up to the satellite takes a strong transmitter and a good antenna aimed right. Down is easy, like satellite radio.

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 05:08 PM

Quote:
It all depends on how they get to the backbone, but I doubt it. The more I think about it the more it seems it would have to be cell towers.[quote]

[quote]getting up to the satellite takes a strong transmitter and a good antenna aimed right

I agree - I mean how does Ford got this slick to work - still no mention other then a modem .

Then theres that mention of no subscription fee on the Fords system other then the user own piggy back subscription fee ? Humm -> does seem cell tower to tower as you drive
Humm
I would think that the car has enough power to supply a strong transmitter - just maybe the antenna "not being directional" would just send in a 360 degree range . Then again if you parked the car and turned off . What happens with that ?

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/23/09 05:24 PM

Satellite transmission must be directional, and it takes a big strong transmitter and directional antenna to get that far up into space. A 360 antenna like to receive satellite radio wouldn't work.

I'll have to wait until more detail comes out before I speculate anymore.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/28/09 06:34 AM

They don't specifically say what technology Ford will use to connect to the internet backbone though.

Microsoft :P

Re: iTouch users can now make calls - 12/28/09 07:03 AM

Seems it will be 3G or 4G to connect. I didn't know what else could do it.

BSOD in your car, it doesn't get any better. laugh