Snappy

Posted by: padmavyuha

Snappy - 11/24/09 02:14 AM

Okay, this is bloody amazing - a $2 app for jailbroken iPhones, tap your status bar and the camera is there in around half a second, without having to quit the current app. And there isn't a large memory hit to do this.

http://www.redmondpie.com/snappy-the-fastest-camera-app-for-jailbroken-iphone-9140131/
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Snappy - 11/24/09 04:13 AM

Here's something else for your jailbroken unprotected iPhone.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Snappy - 11/24/09 07:07 AM

No way in hell would I jailbrake my iPhone. I did it on the iPod Touch when it first came out, but I'll keep my iPhone legal. wink

Re: Snappy - 11/24/09 07:27 AM

It seems when one jailbreaks one also takes off a level of security.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Snappy - 11/24/09 08:35 AM

Quote:
I did it on the iPod Touch

Not that I'm going to, but did it give you the advantages that you thought it would?

Re: Snappy - 11/24/09 11:18 AM

Back then it did, but now? No..nothing that I can think of. I didn't keep it jailbroken for very long. It was more of a novelty thing.

Re: Snappy - 11/25/09 12:54 AM

Hahaha, I just knew someone was going to post the OMFG WORMS SECURITY RISK! thing...:) Well, if you buy a house safe for your valuables and then leave the manufacturer's 1-2-3-4 combination on the lock, you deserve any theft you get. So people who jailbreak their iPhones and don't change the default passwords for /root and /mobile are inviting idiots into their data safe and I have little sympathy for them.

As to advantage:

<--- click to pop up larger version smile

Well, aside from basic visual tweaks (via Winterboard) such as black dock background, I'm using:

Lock Calendar (image 1) - see my appointments without unlocking
Tap to Unlock (image 1) - swiping is harder when you're left-handed, for some reason
Five Column Dock (image 2) - got what I want down there
SBSettings (image 3) - bloody useful set of tools, top section is quick toggles for Wifi, Phone, Location, 3G etc., small buttons allow instant respring etc.; customisable, just swipe status bar to appear/disappear it.

What else?

iRealSMS, a 'better Messages app' that pops up message alerts (even in lock screen) with a photo and scrollable message (inc. MMS), which you can tap to reply to in the same screen - portrait or landscape.
a proper download helper for Safari, that allows downloading of most useful file types; I have a phone file browser too
Backgrounder - that allows me to run any app I want in the background so it doesn't have to keep relaunching every time I switch apps (so long as there's enough free ram, see status bar for free ram amount)
Action Menu, which adds clipboard history, clipboard favourites, dial number, send as tweet (like we care!), more to follow, each one toggleable
a 5-row keyboard layout with my favourite characters on the top row (like comma, period etc.) which saves loads of time typing (shift for numbers), has an alt layout that can include cursor keys, for the loupe-challenged
QuickScroll which gives me a scrollbar to zip up/down long docs or web pages
I can send Mail attachments
I have Snappy now and can take a photo from anywhere in the phone within a second (this is seriously great)

The only one of these I haven't used regularly since I installed it is the mail attachments one, but I have used it a couple of times. The rest are valuable on a daily basis, and make my 3G a usable little mac. A very few of these are pay apps - I've maybe spent $6 in all. I've helped bug test a few.

So far, nothing I've installed has messed up my phone, or made it unusable. If it did, I can just restore to factory, restore from backup, and then use the handy Backup/Restore app, which has stored a list of all my installed jb apps in the iTunes backup, and will automatically reinstall them for me! I've only had to do that once, and that was because I thought the phone's ringer had been broken by something I installed (because I didn't know about the mute switch yet blush).

So there's a reason why people write all these apps - because they find them useful, and then so do others. I think my phone would drive me nuts without all this stuff on it. Maybe if I had a 3GS that was that much faster at switching between apps, or loading up prefs or whatever, I wouldn't miss some of these items, but some of them are brilliant enhancements, not just speed shortcuts.

Re: Snappy - 11/25/09 04:10 AM

So far I don't see anything *must* have there. Seriously. Let me break each example down.

Lock calendar: I guess I'm not busy enough to have to constantly look at my calendar. Wish I was sometimes...but I'm not.

Tap to unlock: Right-hander here, so swiping is easy and I don't like the idea of tapping to unlock. Seems like it would be easier to accidently unlock it. But my brother is left-handed, so I'll ask him about the swiping thing.

5 column dock: Guess I'm happy with the 4. Everything else that I use the most gets on the 1st page. And having the iPod icon down there is useless. Did you know that pressing the Home button twice brings up the iPod commands? And the option to go to the iPod?

SBSettings: so this is an app? I don't see it on your 1st page there. How do you access it? Basically this is the same thing as your Settings app, just different layout and access? Handy I guess if you really need to access such things. So far I haven't had the need.

That iRealSMS doesn't sound like it does anything different than the one that comes with the iPhone. I get Text messages that pop up when the phone is locked or when I'm in a different app. I tap to Reply or Close if I'm watching a movie, on phone, playing a game, etc. What do you mean "with a photo and scrollable message"?

download helper for Safari: what do you download through Safari? (just wondering) because I never see/find anything that I want to download. Usually things that I download are programs for my mac. Help me out here...where would that come in handy?

Backgrounder: ok...give me an example of something running in the background that you have to have running. Mail, Text, etc do PUSH notification, so they check while I'm doing whatever. I'm not sure where this would come in handy either, but perhaps I'm missing something? And how do you switch between apps without closing the one you are currently using?

Action Menu: Cipboard history & Favorites...well...I guess if you need those they might be handy. Or you could create a new note with those things. But so far I haven't ever had to use Clipboard history, even on my mac. The other things (dial number...see Favorites in your phone) (send as tweet...useless to me) are useless to me, but again, I may be missing out on something.

5 row keyboard? Holy crap! Can you even see a preview of what you are typing? Especially in landscape mode? 4 is enough for me. 5 would just make the window showing what you are typing even that much smaller...and I need that window.

Quickscroll: how is this easier/better than swiping finger on screen? So instead of using say your thumb to swipe up and down, you have to hit arrows on the scrollbar? nah, swiping is MUCH easier. Of course, I haven't seen the scroll bar on the iPHone, so I must be missing out on something here.

What attachments are you sending with your Mail that you can't do without this Quickscroll? I can send pictures, video, and Notes now so I don't know what else you would send as an attachment?

Snappy: Well, I guess that might come in handy, but so far I haven't run into anything that requires me to activate the camera within a second.

What are those little circular icons on the bottom left of the Phone and Mail icons?

I'm not saying people don't find them useful. I did when I hacked my iPod Touch. I just don't find anything useful in what you posted about.

You say that very few apps are pay apps, you only spend roughly $6. But some of the ones I see in your screen shot do.
Ultralingua (french to english) - $19.99
ultralingua (french dictionary) - $19.99
PhotoForge - $4.99
feX - $1.99

So perhaps you meant $46? wink Unless those are obtained other ways, which brings up a whole 'nother thing about hacking the iPhone....

Re: Snappy - 11/25/09 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
Hahaha, I just knew someone was going to post the OMFG WORMS SECURITY RISK! thing...:) Well, if you buy a house safe for your valuables and then leave the manufacturer's 1-2-3-4 combination on the lock, you deserve any theft you get. So people who jailbreak their iPhones and don't change the default passwords for /root and /mobile are inviting idiots into their data safe and I have little sympathy for them.

So there's a reason why people write all these apps - but some of them are brilliant enhancements, not just speed shortcuts.

Oh, and I forgot:

The first part of your quote: Obviously there are people who don't do this, otherwise this security risk wouldn't even be out there. I know when I did my iPod Touch, I didn't change mine.

And which ones are "brilliant enhancements"? I have yet to see one....
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Snappy - 11/25/09 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux

. And having the iPod icon down there is useless. Did you know that pressing the Home button twice brings up the iPod commands? And the option to go to the iPod?

Did you know you can reassign that button? He may have it set for something else and thus the iPod icon on the Home screen.

Quote:
What are those little circular icons on the bottom left of the Phone and Mail icons?

I'm guessing those are currently running apps.

Re: Snappy - 11/25/09 04:20 PM

I was responding to Acumowchek's question 'did it give you the advantages that you thought it would?' (which I realise wasn't aimed at me). I don't make claims for it to be universally useful, just explaining why it's useful to me, and therefore why it was worth the small effort of jailbreaking. Also for anyone here who might be curious as to why someone would jailbreak their phone, the above is a set of examples why I find it useful. Anyway, here we go...

Quote:
Lock calendar: I guess I'm not busy enough to have to constantly look at my calendar. Wish I was sometimes...but I'm not.

I am. I have short work shifts in 3 different houses in 3 different towns. If I don't keep up, it's a mess. And that's just my work schedule, never mind my manifold social life.

Quote:
Tap to unlock: Right-hander here, so swiping is easy and I don't like the idea of tapping to unlock. Seems like it would be easier to accidentally unlock it. But my brother is left-handed, so I'll ask him about the swiping thing.

I only explained it because it was on my screenshot. It's not very important, but makes it quicker for me to get in. Needs just enough of a touch never to have gone off accidentally.

Quote:
5 column dock: Guess I'm happy with the 4. Everything else that I use the most gets on the 1st page. And having the iPod icon down there is useless. Did you know that pressing the Home button twice brings up the iPod commands? And the option to go to the iPod?

As conjected above, I'm using my double-click for something else. Besides, hardware buttons have a tendency to wear out, so the less I use it the better, I think.

Quote:
SBSettings: so this is an app? I don't see it on your 1st page there. How do you access it? Basically this is the same thing as your Settings app, just different layout and access? Handy I guess if you really need to access such things. So far I haven't had the need.

It's a background app that you pop up/away by stroking the statusbar from anywhere in the system. If you lived, as I do, in an area with weak signal, you'd find it saves a lot of battery life if you keep turning wifi and 3G and Location off until you need them. This takes about 1/10 of the time to do this way compared to going into the Prefs app, and therefore I actually do it more often, and therefore I have a lot longer between charges.

Quote:
That iRealSMS doesn't sound like it does anything different than the one that comes with the iPhone. I get Text messages that pop up when the phone is locked or when I'm in a different app. I tap to Reply or Close if I'm watching a movie, on phone, playing a game, etc. What do you mean "with a photo and scrollable message"?

Well, it has a lot of features that I don't even need, more for business users, like the same folder structure as Exchange, and a blacklist, and templates and so forth. But the main things I like about it are the character/message counter, and the thing you're asking me to explain more clearly, which looketh like this:

Quote:
download helper for Safari: what do you download through Safari? (just wondering) because I never see/find anything that I want to download. Usually things that I download are programs for my mac. Help me out here...where would that come in handy?

Mainly a work thing - I have to access updates to policy/procedure documents as pdfs, docs etc. that are on a website, not emailed to me.

Quote:
Backgrounder: ok...give me an example of something running in the background that you have to have running. Mail, Text, etc do PUSH notification, so they check while I'm doing whatever. I'm not sure where this would come in handy either, but perhaps I'm missing something? And how do you switch between apps without closing the one you are currently using?

I have the SMS app backgrounded, so it doesn't have to get launched every time I switch to it. Similarly with my Calendar app - much quicker to add or edit events if it's up and running already.
There is actually an app that works like the cmd-tab switcher on a mac desktop, but I don't need that. This is just a way to keep my most commonly used apps running so that I have quicker access to info if I'm asked for it at work, for example. I still switch apps by closing the last one, but if it's backgrounded, it reopens again pretty instantly when I return to it.

Quote:
Action Menu: Cipboard history & Favorites...well...I guess if you need those they might be handy. Or you could create a new note with those things. But so far I haven't ever had to use Clipboard history, even on my mac. The other things (dial number...see Favorites in your phone) (send as tweet...useless to me) are useless to me, but again, I may be missing out on something.

Exactly - if it's something that's been indispensable on your mac, it's very much the same deal on the phone. If you don't use it you wouldn't miss it. I'm constantly having to repeat details in messages and emails, or forward someone's address to a few people at different times. this way I can save it as a favourite (so it's permanently available to paste in anywhere) or drop it out of the clipboard history. Plus you should remember that I suffer from arm/finger strain, so the less typing the better.

Quote:
5 row keyboard? Holy crap! Can you even see a preview of what you are typing? Especially in landscape mode? 4 is enough for me. 5 would just make the window showing what you are typing even that much smaller...and I need that window.

Nope, the 5 rows take up the same height as the old 4. And no, it isn't harder to type that way. Having quick access to .,;:'"?!/ without having to hit the 123 key every damn time is a stress-saver for me, especially since I type whole words in my text messages, with, you know, grammar and punctuation'n'stuff.

Quote:
Quickscroll: how is this easier/better than swiping finger on screen? So instead of using say your thumb to swipe up and down, you have to hit arrows on the scrollbar? nah, swiping is MUCH easier. Of course, I haven't seen the scroll bar on the iPHone, so I must be missing out on something here.

Yup, no arrows involved - there's a faint white scrollblob on the right edge, and one swipe on it can take me from the very top to the very bottom of the current doc, whether it's a 2-screen-long web page, or a 120 page pdf. Much better than swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe... and you can set it so if you tap on it 2/3 way down, you go 2/3 way down the doc, just like on the mac scrollbar. Arrows redundant, I never use them on the mac scrollbars. Not a big deal in short docs, very very time-saving in long ones.

Quote:
What attachments are you sending with your Mail that you can't do without this Quickscroll? I can send pictures, video, and Notes now so I don't know what else you would send as an attachment?

Not sure what Quickscroll has to do with this, it probably just crept into your sentence. I can use the mail attachment thing to forward on docs that I've downloaded (or been emailed) and edited. Since the phone is jailbroken, I can send any file I can find on there, including any useful stuff I might have ftp'd onto the drive when I was at home and thought: oh, so-and-so may want a copy of this.

Quote:
Snappy: Well, I guess that might come in handy, but so far I haven't run into anything that requires me to activate the camera within a second.

It's constantly happening to me - I see something I want to snap in passing, like out of a bus window, and the phone is too slow for the spontaneity. Useful for me.

Quote:

That shows which apps are backgrounded - it's optional to show that.

Quote:
I'm not saying people don't find them useful. I did when I hacked my iPod Touch. I just don't find anything useful in what you posted about.

Cool - I maybe wouldn't find most of the apps on your touch useful. We ain't the same people.

Quote:
You say that very few apps are pay apps, you only spend roughly $6. But some of the ones I see in your screen shot do.
Ultralingua (french to english) - $19.99
ultralingua (french dictionary) - $19.99
PhotoForge - $4.99
feX - $1.99

So perhaps you meant $46? wink Unless those are obtained other ways, which brings up a whole 'nother thing about hacking the iPhone....

No, I just meant that hardly any of the jailbreak-necessary apps I listed above cost anything to use.

The thing is, I've got a particular way of using my mac which I tend to want to emulate on my phone - that's all to do with finding shortcuts. On the mac it's a leftover from my DOS days, when the hands sped up work by learning lots of key combos - I've never really let go of the idea that it's a waste of time/energy to have an app you're typing into that requires you to use the mouse too to make things happen, if you could do it all from the keyboard. So on my mac I use the iKey app and have numerous shortcuts set up. Ultimately this means less strain on dodgy wrists, fingers, arms.

Ever since I got the iPhone, I've found it frustratingly slow to get from place to place to do things. So I jailbroke it to get access to faster ways to work/play with it. The first thing I did it for was originally so I could tether it as my maodem when I didn't have broadband at home for 2 weeks, and then it was the 5-row keyboard that got me hooked on the possibilities.

Yes, there's a certain geek-factor involved. But until I can afford a faster iPhone, I'll just mkae this one faster to use instead.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Snappy - 11/25/09 06:20 PM

I am really impressed with your setup. You've organized and gathered apps according to your needs and desires and it appears to please you tremendously. smile

What you've done is individualized and personalized the phone to your specific lifestyle. Isn't it great to do that. smile

If it appears someone seemingly and unintentionally tries to rain on your parade, I rather think they are forgetting the individuality and uniqueness we tend to have and differ from one another. My desires and iPhone setup would bore you to tears but I'm as happy as a bug in a rug.

I liked the whole post and it was very informative.

Roll on Paddy!

Kate

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Snappy - 11/25/09 06:23 PM

Paddy said:

Quote:
We ain't the same people.

Yes!!

smile

Re: Snappy - 11/26/09 05:24 AM

Though I was tired and overwrought last night and responded a little 'snappily' to the questions, so sorry about that.

I have to admit I have the feeling that people who don't feel the need to jailbreak see people who do as insane. Not sure why that is. Jailbreaking is not that big a deal. It's reversible. It's either useful to you or it isn't.

Re: Snappy - 11/26/09 06:58 AM

Yes, you jail breakers are a rogue bunch, you should be shipped off to an island somewhere where you can't hurt anybody. wink grin
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Snappy - 11/26/09 08:03 AM

But pad's already on an island somewhere where he can't hurt anybody. Well, almost anyway. wink

Re: Snappy - 11/26/09 11:44 AM

But I'm on an island with... no, won't go there. Anyway, it's not like the USA isn't an island too wink.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Snappy - 11/26/09 02:45 PM

You're right, pad, no man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. wink

Re: Snappy - 11/26/09 02:52 PM

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

Re: Snappy - 11/26/09 02:55 PM

Very cool.
I've been happy with what the App Store has given me, but I always wonder what I'm missing.
I'm still waiting for the App Store 'dust" to settle before I decide to try and jailbreak my iPod touch.
I appreciate your input.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

Only if you install ssh and fail to change your root password.

Though I was tired and overwrought last night and responded a little 'snappily' to the questions, so sorry about that.

I have to admit I have the feeling that people who don't feel the need to jailbreak see people who do as insane. Not sure why that is. Jailbreaking is not that big a deal. It's reversible. It's either useful to you or it isn't.

Indeed.

I'll tell ya' tho, I love that my phone can do stuff all the 'safe' little non-jailbroken phones can't do, like block or make custom, automated responses to specific phone numbers, record video (on a 1st-gen phone), play Flash videos, download and save YouTube videos, send MMS messages (again, 1st-gen), browse my iPhone's file hierarchy, tether my iPhone to my MacBook Pro, and run Unix commands from a BASH termninal.

'Cause there's an app for that wink

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
You're right, pad, no man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. wink

But some men are peninsulas wink

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Antonio

Yeah, that was in the link I posted in my first reply.

I'll tell ya' tho, I love that my phone can do stuff all the 'safe' little non-jailbroken phones can't do, like block or make custom, automated responses to specific phone numbers, record video (on a 1st-gen phone), play Flash videos, download and save YouTube videos, send MMS messages (again, 1st-gen), browse my iPhone's file hierarchy, tether my iPhone to my MacBook Pro, and run Unix commands from a BASH termninal.
Granted you are a modder extraordinaire wink but your use of an iPhone is unique and well beyond what most people need or use them for. Most people would just use a computer for most the stuff that you do on it. grin

What is the advantage to running terminal on one, other than hacking, just curious.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 10:32 AM

Indeed.

Now some of THOSE seem interesting to me. (Flash video, automated responses to specific phone numbers, block, etc.

So do I need to start a new thread in the Modders section to see how to do this?

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 10:51 AM

Looks like I have a choice of PwnageTool, BlackRa1n, or BlackRa1n RC2

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 11:25 AM

heh, I got this:

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 11:43 AM

ok, got it installed. NOw I get this in iTunes:

An iPhone has been previously synced with this computer.
Set up as new iPhone
Restore from the backup of my iPhone

I'm going with Restore....

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:01 PM

Well...crap. It won't start up. I knew I shouldn't have tried this. mad

it won't even appear in iTunes to do a restore. mad mad mad
Posted by: carp

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:09 PM

What happened ? you installed an app ?

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:13 PM

Yeah, that was in the link I posted in my first reply.

Granted you are a modder extraordinaire wink but your use of an iPhone is unique and well beyond what most people need or use them for. Most people would just use a computer for most the stuff that you do on it. grin

What is the advantage to running terminal on one, other than hacking, just curious.

Being able to ssh into my Debian server (which hosts my website) is definitely a plus. smile

Indeed.

Now some of THOSE seem interesting to me. (Flash video, automated responses to specific phone numbers, block, etc.

So do I need to start a new thread in the Modders section to see how to do this?

Nope. I'm using applications downloaded via Cydia, many of which are free apps.

Well...crap. It won't start up. I knew I shouldn't have tried this. mad

it won't even appear in iTunes to do a restore. mad mad mad

Don't be too worried, this isn't all that unusual.
Which tool did you use? You most likely want to use PwnageTool.

Take me step-by-step through what you did.
Also, have a look here.

First thing you need to do, regardless, is boot into recovery mode. Press and hold both the power and home buttons, until you see the boot logo, then release the power button and continue to hold the home button until iTunes tells you it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Then let me know where you're at before you try it again. And get PwnageTool.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:21 PM

WHew! That worked. Ok, I followed this site:
http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2009/10/13/jailbreak-iphone-3g-3gs-3-1-2-pwnagetool/

It installed whatever through that tutorial. Once I got into iTunes and my previous post:

Quote:
ok, got it installed. NOw I get this in iTunes:

An iPhone has been previously synced with this computer.
Set up as new iPhone
Restore from the backup of my iPhone

I'm going with Restore....

So after it was finished restoring, it started syncing up my stuff. I stopped it so that we could go on to the movies. On the way, I was checking out that Cydia. I tried the first app that seemed interesting, iBlocker or something like that. It downloaded and installed. Rebooted and then I got this hangup. Stuck at the Apple screen.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:31 PM

Huh. Looks like iBlocker is a game of some sort.
It was working fine before that? I have a feeling it may have something to do with your stopping the syncing, because you tried to restore from your old backup. I wouldn't use that- just sync your contacts, etc. It may be best to go through it semi-manually at first (ie: doing your contacts, then calendar, then music, etc). This is also a good idea, because it keeps you mindful of what's on your phone and how much space you're taking up with it.
I absolutely would not do a restore from a backup of your phone done before your jailbreak.

It sounds as if you already know how to find, download, and point PwnageTool toward the .ipsw file. As you're not unlocking, you don't need to worry about using the Bootneuter app, unless you think you might change service providers in the future. That said, your current provider should still work if you do use the app to hack your baseband firmware.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:36 PM

Right now I'm doing a restore from backup.

What's confusing was that part where it asked if I want to set it up as a new phone or restore.

This was after jailbreaking it.

So you are saying that I want to set it up as a new phone?

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:40 PM

Yes. And set it to manually sync.
(Heh, I would manually sync with or without the jailbreak, especially considering I can't fit my entire music and video libraries in an anemic 16Gb, and neither can most other folk.)

From there, you can just switch through the tabs in iTunes to sync your contacts and stuff.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:43 PM

Huh. I almost forgot, PwnageTool will automatically run Bootneuter and unlock your phone while doing its thing. If you go this route, you'll want to uninstall Bootneuter from your phone afterward, as you won't need it again.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 01:43 PM

This is how I have it set up:

Click for full size

BTW, this is a 3Gs 32GB iPhone with the latest 3.1.2

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 02:03 PM

Yep, that looks about right.
First thing you'll want to do in Cydia is install the BSD subsystem, as many of the apps (such as iBlacklist) will require it. You may as well install all the trimmings with it. If you install SSH, you'll also want to install the Terminal, so you can secure your phone with a custom password.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 02:07 PM

ok, I did the jailbreak again. It has restarted and I am in iTunes. I see this screen:

Do I do this or not?

and after that, will be this screen:

This is where I chose Restore last time. So you are saying to choose Set up As new iPhone?

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 02:17 PM

Yup. And you can update your carrier settings.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 06:57 PM

I can't seem to find the BSD subsystem to install....

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 07:28 PM

Hi John-
I was mistaken. I recall installing the subsystem after I installed Cydia last, but, apparently, it has a replacement for the subsystem included. You should be able to install iBlacklist.

Re: Snappy - 11/27/09 07:43 PM

uh oh....heh, that's what I tried first and had the problem before.

Re: Snappy - 11/28/09 05:17 AM

I swear to never ever do this again.

I didn't install anything yesterday because I was busy. Getting ready to head out of town and thought, what the heck. I'll try to install this Winterboard.

Now it's stuck at the Apple logo again and this time it won't do the restore on iTunes trying your trick of the power + home button.

Great...out of town with no iPhone.

Re: Snappy - 11/28/09 01:14 PM

John, Winterboard requires a current version of mobile substrate in order to run- this might be why your phone is hanging.
You should be able to reboot and restore your phone the same way you did last time.

Most of the these Cydia packages come with descriptions, which will tell you of any requirements they have. I would be careful to read those before installing.

I should mention, your phone's not broken. It just can't load the Springboard, which is why it's stuck at the Apple logo.
Again, you shouldn't get too worried. Lots of people get stuck like this their first time jailbreaking. Just know that when you do this, your iPhone becomes more like a computer and less like a phone, so you're going to run into the same issues as when updating software on a PC. Once you know your way around better, you'll do better with subsequent jailbreaks.

Re: Snappy - 11/29/09 12:02 PM

After a few attempts, I finally got it to restore!! laugh

The last post I made was made from pure panic and I was heading out of town. I shouldn't have done that.

Antonio, catch me on iChat, I want to try this again.

Re: Snappy - 11/30/09 08:25 PM

Hey John,
we'll try it again this week sometime. I'll be in touch.

Re: Snappy - 12/01/09 04:26 AM

I did it again, this time I didn't have any problems. Installed some cool ringtones, but would like to pick your brain on what next to install.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Snappy - 12/28/09 07:15 AM

I think one of the first things I did when I got my Omnia phone was download hacked ROMS to get things working the way I wanted. As you say, big deal, it's just software.

Re: Snappy - 01/05/10 02:34 AM

Snappy v2 out now, more options...