5 Computers activated on iTunes - can I deactivate them?

Posted by: peter.metzinger

5 Computers activated on iTunes - can I deactivate them? - 01/08/09 06:44 AM

Since I bought my first song from iTunes I have had 5 new Macs, which is the limit of activation. iTunes offers to deactivate all of these computers. Does anybody know what happens to my current MBP then? Will I be able to reactivate it (and have 4 more left) or will I use the possibility to play my songs on that computer?
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: 5 Computers activated on iTunes - can I deactivate them? - 01/08/09 08:07 AM

You can just reactivate the MBP, just be aware that the option to deactivate all your machines will disappear for a year once you use it.
Posted by: Antonio

Re: 5 Computers activated on iTunes - can I deactivate them? - 01/08/09 01:05 PM

Does the new iTunes version even check for DRM, now that songs in the store no longer have it?
Posted by: whitlock

Re: 5 Computers activated on iTunes - can I deactivate them? - 01/08/09 02:36 PM

I think it does no matter what, because those files still have DRM and require the authentication to launch them.
Posted by: peter.metzinger

Re: 5 Computers activated on iTunes - can I deactivate them? - 01/08/09 02:38 PM

Thank you so much! I don't think I'll buy 4 more new computers within a year, so that shouldn't be a problem :-)
Posted by: Antonio

Re: 5 Computers activated on iTunes - can I deactivate them? - 01/08/09 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: "whitlock"
I think it does no matter what, because those files still have DRM and require the authentication to launch them.

Yeah, forgot about that.
Posted by: mordaskyt

Re: 5 Computers activated on iTunes - can I deactivate them? - 01/08/09 05:17 PM

It pays to remember to deactivate machines before you loose access to them, it goes by the logic board somehow (Possible the mac address of the built in ethernet?) so hard drive failure or even processor replacement do not matter but if the logic board goes you cannot de-authorize except via apple's once a year button.