Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS

Posted by: wgill

Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/18/05 01:14 PM

Well the guy who brought us software to decrypt DVD's has finally had his pals release a program that enables you to purchase songs from the iTMS DRM free. Yes you heard it!!!

How it works is ; You purchase a song from the iTMS, once its in its final stages on sending you the song, it implements a DRM wrap to it.

Well with this program, this eliminates that by cutting in before its final stages of implementing this rights management system.

For anybody interested in further reading check out:
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000267036571/

cheers
wgill
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/18/05 01:46 PM

that guy is really gonna get it from Apple. This has to be illegal. But, that is way cool! wink
Posted by: maestro

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/18/05 04:05 PM

Stealing in itself can be considered wrong, but that depends on many things. Stealing music is
definately wrong. For one, you are hurting Apple who makes little to no money on the music
store. Two, you hurt the good artists (the ones that are not necessary on the radio) who dont
get a fat ass check from some label. Feel free to steal crappy pop music, but find a different
place to steal it from. Also, find a different place to post stuff like that.
:evil:
-maestro
Posted by: oojacoboo

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/18/05 06:53 PM

well maestro, stealing music probably does have something to do with the DRM, and stealing music is wrong, especially for those bands that are barely making it. However, there are other reasons to remove the DRM. Maybe someone wants to use this music on other computers without iTunes or on something other than an iPod.

Apple is getting themselves into a world of hurt with this DRM crap and I think thats the point. If they don't watch it they are going to see a paradigm shift in the industry like they saw back in the 80s and 90s with PCs.

PEOPLE WANT COMPATIBILITY APPLE!!!

People dont' want to be told that they have to buy/use Apple's products in order for something to work.
Posted by: burtman

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/19/05 03:01 AM

Depends what you do with the music you get from the apple store without DRM, you have paid for it, this software dosn't get music free for you, all it does is ensure the music that you do get dosent hace any restrictions on what you can do with it. It bascially turns it into the same sort of file you would get if you ripped a CD from within iTunes. You see when i get a track to my computer I want to do with it what i will, wheather that is copy it to my two or three other computers in the house, let my flatmates play it from a network drive, burn loads of compilcations for my car, play it on my ipod, or even play it on my non apple portable music player. Sure if I put it on kazza or load an album up to bittorrent, or burn 400 CDs and sell them to people on a street corner then I'm stealing but just taking the DRM off a track isn't stealling.

I don't think this guy will get sued, the mpaa tried when he broke the encryption on DVDs and it was thrown out of court where he lives, but I'm guessing the guy aint gonna be taking anyholidays the America any time soon!

If i could better quality music from the itunes software this might actually persude me to use the store. (but thats an entirely diffrent other flame war!) wink

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/19/05 03:11 AM

Actually all you have to do is take your music and burn it to a CD as an AIFF file. You can do
whatever you want with it.
wink
-maestro
Posted by: burtman

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/19/05 03:40 AM

I'm far to lazy for that much effort! burn a cd, then re rip it blimey thats far to long winded for me *grin* but seriously you run into (even worse) sound quality issues if you do that maybe not enough to bother most people but it would bug me.
Posted by: krusher117

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/19/05 04:09 AM

DRM is a great way to stop lazy theft. You can never hope to stop theft entirely. I like free music better than paying for it, but if Apple has to put DRM to offer me an amazing service like the iTMS then I'll deal with it. I do a lot of song discovery and purchasing from iTMS and software like PyMusicque risk jeopardizing the advances the Apple has made thus far. On top of that, PyMusique exists simply as bragging rights. One man's way of saying I'm smarter than you. It's childish and unfortunate that its getting as much coverage on major news sites as it is. Guess Steve won't be sending a letter to recording execs about this one, but you better believe Napster will :evil:

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/19/05 10:33 AM

Sound quality, are you kidding me! Even AAC sounds worse than a tape. Curious indeed...
-maestro
Posted by: wgill

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/20/05 11:22 AM

what do u mean?

cheers
wgill

Re:Buy DRM Free Songs from the iTMS - 03/20/05 12:22 PM

I was refering to burtman when I said that. The sound quality is already poor and I wouldn't worry about how it is affected buy burning a CD to remove any DRM issues.
-maestro