Easier way to switch itunes libraries?

Posted by: SmilesLots

Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/06/09 09:05 AM

Does anyone know if there is an easier way to switch libraries, say on the fly, with iTunes. The option click is fine except it blanks out the finder for any open drive. TIA
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/06/09 09:38 AM

http://www.sillybit.com/libra/

It does relaunch iTunes for you... so I don't know if that is really any better.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/06/09 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: SmilesLots
it blanks out the finder for any open drive. TIA
Not sure what you mean by blanks out the Finder. Do you mean it hides the open Finder windows?

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/07/09 04:33 AM

Yeah I trued that one. Did not like it. I may try Butler and see if that will work.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/07/09 04:35 AM

Yep that's what it does. I'd like something that would let me have one library upen and then just go to a second library, and then to another if need be. Thanks.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/07/09 07:41 AM

What version of iTunes and OS are you running?

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/07/09 07:43 AM

Here's an idea... maybe you should just use Fast User Switching...lol.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/07/09 09:24 AM

I guess we all have our preferences, but how often do you switch iTunes libraries? After switching libraries if you go to the iTunes menu it has Show All to bring all apps back from hiding.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/07/09 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I guess we all have our preferences, but how often do you switch iTunes libraries? After switching libraries if you go to the iTunes menu it has Show All to bring all apps back from hiding.

Uhh... excuse me. Can't you see we're in the middle of trying to put a round peg into a square hole??

HellloooOOoooo.....

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/07/09 09:39 PM

Yep that's what it does. I'd like something that would let me have one library upen and then just go to a second library, and then to another if need be. Thanks.
Keep in mind that iTunes needs to be relaunched for each switch though. It has to load a new library from a fresh start.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/07/09 09:40 PM

Sorry. blush

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 05:10 AM

10.5.8 & 9.02

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 05:14 AM

I have now also tried Butler by going to "volume" and it simply launches whatever library is currently in use. Guess it's a no-go. And yes I do the "show all" thing. Just seems to me there could be an easier way.
Posted by: carp

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 10:53 AM

What about Expose ? put a different library in each

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
What about Expose ? put a different library in each
I don't think you get what he's asking. You'd still have to relaunch iTunes to choose the library from the Open iTunes Library dialog. I don't believe separate open Finder windows with his libraries is what he's looking for.

He wants to switch libraries without the Finder being hidden.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 12:12 PM

Try this, launch iTunes, then hold the Option key down. If you hold the Option key down before launching iTunes it hides the Finder.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 12:18 PM

I think he meant Spaces rather than Exposť.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo

I don't use both so I am not sure - but I do think once you launch and an app or iTune library in this case it would remain active , right , don't need to relaunch it ?

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 12:41 PM

I did know what he meant. Thx. smile

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo

I don't use both so I am not sure - but I do think once you launch and an app or iTune library in this case it would remain active , right , don't need to relaunch it ?
Steve, you still don't get it guy. He has to relaunch iTunes since he wants to use different libraries at different times. You need to relaunch iTunes to choose the library, it then takes you to an Open dialog, not the Finder windows you have open, so open Finder windows with the libraries in different spaces won't help.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 04:40 PM

I don't think you get it , maybe I am wrong but seems to me he can launch iTunes in different Spaces or even into Expose and still keep the finder .

spaces

Expose

I never tried it - but it seems to me he can launch iTunes into as many spaces or expose for each pane he wants - So if he had 4 libraries , he could keyboard toggle between active Spaces panes and still have the finder ? ?

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 06:14 PM

I never tried it - but it seems to me he can launch iTunes into as many spaces or expose for each pane he wants - So if he had 4 libraries , he could keyboard toggle between active Spaces panes and still have the finder ? ?
He couldn't toggle between 4 different libraries using spaces. Yes, he can run iTunes in multiple spaces, but it would have to be running the same library in each one. It's the same iTunes application running in 4 different spaces, not 4 separate instances of iTunes running in 4 separate spaces.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 06:50 PM

Sure you can , from the link I posted

Quote:
When switching between active applications, either by clicking on icons in the dock, or by pressing ⌘ (Command) + Tab, Spaces will jump to the space to which the chosen application has been assigned.

This is where I am not sure

Quote:
but it would have to be running the same library in each one. It's the same iTunes application running in 4 different spaces, not 4 separate instances of iTunes running in 4 separate spaces.

Under spaces I don't see why you cannot have 4 different libraries open in a chosen space - it is just a link to another library under the spaces scheme

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 07:32 PM

Under spaces I don't see why you cannot have 4 different libraries open in a chosen space
Because you just can't, that's the rules. You obviously don't get what Spaces is all about.

I'm hopping off this merry-go-round. This is ridiculous. If you don't believe me do what I do, take some time and try it out. I don't just pull this crap out of thin air you know.

Sigh.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 07:49 PM

He's right Carp... you can only run one instance of an app at a time in Mac OS. You can run multiples in Windows though. Spaces just let's you pick the apps you want in that particular space. I couldn't have PhotoShop open in one space with 3 photos open and have it open in another space with 5 other photos. I could choose to have PS open in both with the same pics open. Spaces just lets you group apps so you work better.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/08/09 08:47 PM

Smiles,

In case this got lost in the mess.

Launch iTunes, then hold the Option key down while it's launching, not before you launch it. If you hold the Option key down before launching iTunes it hides the Finder.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 04:38 AM

I've got another thought - two or three copies of the iTunes program. I do this with Toast and Epson's Print CD. That way I can burn 2 or 3 disks simultaneously and print on 3 printers simultaneously. This is already working for me. SO today I will give this a try.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 08:19 AM

I thought of that but it's usually too much for the casual user to do. Also if you're using the same preference file making a change in one changes the other, I do it with two different versions of Toast sometimes. Let us know how it goes. I'm also curious though as to why you need to switch libraries on the fly like that so many times a day. Do you have too much music to manage in one library using playlists? We all have our reasons, just curious. smile
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 09:40 AM

I have a solution.

One Mac per library.

wink

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 10:56 AM

I don't think it's a matter of why anymore... more a matter of can it be done.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'm hopping off this merry-go-round. This is ridiculous

Sorry I was just asking questions about how it works since I mentioned I never used spaces or expose - you don't need to be an arse about it , I am getting tired of all these condescending remarks

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I don't think it's a matter of why anymore... more a matter of can it be done.
Just curious, and the why may lead to the how.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 01:59 PM

Quote:
I'm hopping off this merry-go-round. This is ridiculous

Sorry I was just asking questions about how it works since I mentioned I never used spaces or expose - you don't need to be an arse about it , I am getting tired of all these condescending remarks
Sorry you feel that way, and have to call names because of it, that's not necessary, but I tried 3 times to explain it and got frustrated when you didn't get it. Maybe I don't explain it well but I do teach this stuff almost daily in my job, or maybe you're not reading what I say with care. I was out of ideas as to how else to say it. Maybe NG4's explanation helped hopefully.

Let's move on. Just believe me that you can't do what you say with spaces. Without serious geekery it's one application running at a time off of one library.

PM me if you have anymore to say on this.

Thx

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 02:07 PM

Quote:
have to call names because of it, that's not necessary

Sorry Pal but I do get upset when people are (condescending) to others , so yes you went first with the name calling , I responded . Maybe count to 10 when you get frustrated , I do and sometimes I forget as well. laugh

Yes lets move on
Posted by: Silver_Moon

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 02:08 PM

As the Police, I will be watching you two to make sure this never happens again! laugh

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 02:09 PM

I'll PM you when I get back tonight. This is not the place to discuss this.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/09/09 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
I'll PM you when I get back tonight. This is not the place to discuss this.

No need too - the subject has ended , relax when you get home you deserve it laugh

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/10/09 05:31 AM

Today I will try running 2 copies of iTunes. I do this wil Toast and Print CD quite successfully. (Thought I had posted this yesterday, but for some reason it did not take.)

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/10/09 05:45 AM

it did take... it's way up there. I read it yesterday.

God Luck.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/10/09 05:47 AM

OK. The post did take. But no joy with two copies of iTunes. No joy with spaces either.

Why do I want this. I produce about 50 cd's per year of inspirational talks. They are currently arranged as one library per year going back to 1999. I have audio tapes going back to 1987 and am getting them into cd format as time permits. Quite time consuming to edit a 94 min audio tape to 79:59 min cd.

My other music is in separate libraries as well - some in mp3 format, some aac: some is my own creation, some is commercial, and some a blend of the two. I sometimes need tracks to make a playlist and the tracks come from several years. I could put them all in one library, but that makes for one humongous list of playlists. I may do tat as a last resort.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/10/09 06:40 AM

Another alternative is to make Playlists of each separate "library" in your iTunes. THat way, you don't have to worry about switching libraries or having them all in one big list. (Well, they will be if you just click on the top Music list in iTunes)

So, you could have a playlist of say MP3 format music; AAC format, etc. When you want to play/use one, just go down to that playlist.

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/10/09 07:17 AM

OK. The post did take. But no joy with two copies of iTunes. No joy with spaces either.

Why do I want this. I produce about 50 cd's per year of inspirational talks. They are currently arranged as one library per year going back to 1999. I have audio tapes going back to 1987 and am getting them into cd format as time permits. Quite time consuming to edit a 94 min audio tape to 79:59 min cd.

My other music is in separate libraries as well - some in mp3 format, some aac: some is my own creation, some is commercial, and some a blend of the two. I sometimes need tracks to make a playlist and the tracks come from several years. I could put them all in one library, but that makes for one humongous list of playlists. I may do tat as a last resort.

I see, quite a project. Maybe separate users and Fast User Switching would be the way to go then? Name the users by year? Also keep the separate Libraries on the top level of the HD for easy access?

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 11/10/09 07:45 AM

That idea of a playlist for each year might just work. Then each separate cd becomes a sub-folder in the year's playlist. I'll give that a try. But iirc the total # of tracks is approaching 20,000. Hope that is not a problem.
Posted by: johnsonsm4

Re: Easier way to switch itunes libraries? - 02/24/10 02:21 PM

Try Multitunes.