Google Navigation may come to iPhone

Posted by: padmavyuha

Google Navigation may come to iPhone - 10/30/09 12:47 AM

http://www.itpro.co.uk/616924/google-add...7270fa45bf9092b

"Google said its new Google Maps Navigation product will provide real-time, turn-by-turn directions directly within cell phones that are based on the new version of its Android software."

"He would not comment on whether Apple's iPhone, which offers Google mapping software as part of its standard menu of built-in applications, would offer the new navigation features. He said, in response to a question, that the latest version of the iPhone, the iPhone 3GS, has the horsepower to support the navigation product."
Posted by: carp

Re: Google Navigation may come to iPhone - 10/30/09 10:48 AM

Seems like Google has been very hostile towards Apple lately , maybe there is something big going on behind the scenes ?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Google Navigation may come to iPhone - 10/30/09 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Seems like Google has been very hostile towards Apple lately , maybe there is something big going on behind the scenes ?
The only thing I can think of you're referring to is the Google Voice thing. Seems Google may feel it has a reason to be hostile, but Apple has its reasons for rejecting the app.

Of course Google is interested in selling an app to a company that currently has 23% of the US smart-phone market, and 14% of the global market. And they did that in just 2 years and 4 months. Anyone not wanting to hop on that gravy train would be stupid.

But Apple would be stupid to not want to make some kind of agreement with Google either IMO, something where the software wouldn't be so invasive in to the interface.

Two giants battling it out.
Posted by: carp

Re: Google Navigation may come to iPhone - 10/31/09 12:30 PM

I was looking at the big over all picture not just google voice . Seems Google is competing with Apple on just about every front software wise .

Andriod -vs- iPhone
Market -vs- App Store + iTunes
Google apps -vs- Apple apps

So as for google selling apps to Apple , I think not . Google Navigation , Apple already sided with Tom Tom and Google Voice well they still fighting over that one