Majorly cool iPhone app.!*

Posted by: trey

Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/24/09 06:27 AM

I'm not sure yet whether this will wind up being just another novelty app. (I highly doubt it... I gets lost easy!), but for now, New York Nearest Subway is pretty damned cool. smile

*I actually started this post yesterday... it was still waiting here when I got to work this morning. smile
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/24/09 10:11 AM

hmmm....nearest NYC subway to me is pretty damn far! laugh

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/24/09 11:07 AM

Yeah, I realize it's not for everyone, but if you watch the video, you can get an idea for how cool it is. smile
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/24/09 12:54 PM

Isn't there an ad for the iPhone that shows it navigating Paris?
Posted by: Silver_Moon

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/25/09 03:29 PM

YEP.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/30/09 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Isn't there an ad for the iPhone that shows it navigating Paris?
There is a big friggin' tower on the west end of the city. With the river thrown in, navigating Paris can be done by a blind German Sheperd with a head cold.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/30/09 08:22 PM

Well that explains WW II.
Posted by: carp

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/30/09 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Well that explains WW II.

No shiit YoYo
How many time the Germans vacationed in France laugh

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/30/09 08:36 PM

Right, the cheese eating surrender monkeys built the Arc de Triumph for invading armies to march under ...

Freedom Fries for all ...

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 09/30/09 08:39 PM

No kidding , I guess when you have the golden arc , ya just have to open it it for all laugh
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/01/09 12:22 AM

You people are weird.
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/02/09 07:17 AM

Hello? Napoleon?

When is French-bashing going to go out of vogue?

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/02/09 10:17 AM

Didn't know it was in vogue ? when then that happen

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/03/09 03:03 PM

Umm... I believe it went very much into vogue when France refused to become a part of the "coalition of the willing" during the initial invasion of Iraq, but their rapid defeat at the hands of the Nazis during the second world war provided a contextual background for that.

Of course, most of those idiots joke about it with the security of oceanic borders (our perspective might have been different had the third reich been operating out of say, Canada or Mexico). People also convieniently forget the bravery of the French resistence-- and indeed the necessary role they played in the allied victory.

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/03/09 06:11 PM

Don't forget the bravery of the French resistance was paid for with the lives of the french civilians via german retributions . SO I am not sure what is brave about it , they sneak around and bomb a train track , the germans then murder everyone in the village .

They should have waited for D-Day to sabotage , maybe the germans might have thought allied spies as opposed to innocent villagers .

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/04/09 06:15 AM

Wow! I never thought of it that way!

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/04/09 09:12 AM

And of course, the rabble rousing New Englanders who couldn't keep their ______ in their pants until they got the British out of the colonies--they should have waited too, I imagine.

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/07/09 08:01 AM

But you gotta' admit, it's a pretty cool app.

wink

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/07/09 09:41 AM

I admit nothing, sir, nothing!

wink

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/07/09 06:32 PM

Ya know Trey, I gotta apologize-- I bit on that whole french thing without actually clicking on the link to the video. I had assumed it was another subway app typical of many that I've played with.

Having just checked it out, I see how wrong I was! Pretty darn cool app indeed!

The apps just keep getting better, don't they?

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/08/09 07:48 AM

NO apology necessary. I've been hanging around this crowd long enough to know how these things go.

Oh, and I actually had an opportunity to use this app this past weekend, and it's a real life-saver. smile

Re: Majorly cool iPhone app.!* - 10/08/09 08:21 AM

I'm pretty sure all of the French bashing in the thread was sarcasm, at least my cheese eating surrender monkeys was.

As fo the app this is similar to the astronomy programs that are coming out. Tip it up and swing around and the identity of constellations and planets are right there. These are only going to get better and better. The subway program is cool since it shows what the camera is seeing. It doesn't take a huge leap to have the program identify buildings and unmovable objects in front of you since the phone also knows exactly where you are on earth and which direction you are pointing.

There is always a downside. One of my first geocaching trips the batteries died on top of the mountain. Since I had been looking at the GPS I didn't have a clue which of the many trails I had taken up since I circled around a couple of times to get the cache. I now always bring a compass and look back the way I came like I usually do with or without a GPS.