Flexilis mobile security

Posted by: SgtBaxter

Flexilis mobile security - 06/22/09 06:24 AM

I'm not sure if this is available for the iPhone, but I believe it is. Folks with the iPhone should check it out.

flexilis site

I've put this on my omnia, and it's pretty sweet. Firewall, backup and virus scanner for mobile devices. For now it's free, and I think beta testers will get to use it for free once it's commercial.

Also, online web management plus GPS location of your phone if it's lost or stolen. It backs up your phone to their website if you wish too, so you can restore your phone online in case it takes a crap. Also if it's stolen (or you just can't find it), you can have the phone emit a screeching alarm, and if it *is* stolen, you can remotely "nuke" the phone so people can't steal your data.

So far today, it's blocked 151 intrusion attempts at my phone. Last week, 981 attempts. Nice.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Flexilis mobile security - 06/22/09 06:47 AM

it's blocked 151 intrusion attempts at my phone. Last week, 981 attempts

Hmmm... are you saying that w/o flexilis you would have had your phone attacked?

I have never heard of this.

As far as backing up the phone and GPS location and emitting a sound to find... Apple has this part already covered.

I guess the firewall and virus detection would be good.

Re: Flexilis mobile security - 06/22/09 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Hmmm... are you saying that w/o flexilis you would have had your phone attacked?

Most of those intrusions are likely automated port scans.

FWIW, the founder/president of this company is one of the guys that sucessfully hacked a cell phone from over 1 mile away via bluetooth. Does the iPhone guard against that? smile

Re: Flexilis mobile security - 06/22/09 04:24 PM

Not sure. Wouldn't it require hacking OS X?... and is that something that has been done?

Showing my ignorance...lol.

Re: Flexilis mobile security - 06/23/09 09:19 AM

OS X is usually the easiest of the operating systems to violate crazy

Re: Flexilis mobile security - 06/24/09 04:01 AM

Then why haven't we heard about this?
I mean, no one is hacking out computers that I have heard of, except for those couple times someone did it but only with the User giving them access by clicking on something and opening/activating it.

You seem to be a very knowledgeable individual Baxter and I don't entirely doubt what you are saying... it's just news to me is all.

Re: Flexilis mobile security - 06/24/09 07:25 AM

Generally OS X isn't being hacked "in the wild" in huge numbers, but as Macs become more popular though, and because they now run on familiar UNIX that threat increases each day. The iPhone is going to be a prime target because of it's popularity.

There are regular security conferences where they offer up machines for hacking.

At one such event was where John Hering hacked a phone via bluetooth over a mile away. The problem is... how would you know? You could be walking along a city street and some guy on the other side could be downloading your contacts and emails. It's not due to OS X, or WinMobile, or any of the OS's, it's a security flaw inherent in bluetooth technology.

Also at a lot of these events they have contests where if you are first to hack it, you own it. Generally the Macs running safari have been first to be hacked, and opposite to popular believe the vista machines are usually the toughest to crack. I think at last years CanSecWest conference a macbook air was hacked in 2 minutes, while the vista laptop never was.