Make ringtones with iTunes

Posted by: NucleusG4

Make ringtones with iTunes - 01/16/09 09:03 PM

Don't know if this has been posted in here before... but I tried it and it works great!... even still in version 8.x.x

http://theappleblog.com/2008/08/07/free-custom-iphone-ringtones-using-only-itunes/

Create free ringtones for your iPhone using only iTunes and songs you already have on your computer (This method only works with songs that are DRM free. To create ringtones using DRM protected songs please use this method). This method has been tested and works with iTunes 7.7.1 and iPhone 2.0.1 firmware.

To create custom ringtones using only iTunes:

Right click on the song you are going to make into a ringer and select “Get Info.”
Go to the options tab and go down to the “Start Time” and “Stop Time” check boxes. Check both boxes and input the time you want your ringer to start/stop. The ringer has to be 30 seconds or less. Click OK when you’re done.
Right click on your newly “clipped” song and select “Convert Selection to AAC.” The song will be re-encoded using the start and stop times determined (If your menu item does not read “Convert Selection to AAC” and reads “Convert Slection to MP3″ (or some other format) please go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Importing and change the “Import Using” drop down menu to “AAC Encoder”).

After the song is done encoding navigate to your iTunes Music folder, locate your song, and drag it to your desktop. After the song is on your desktop go back to iTunes and delete the clipped version from you iTunes library (It won’t delete it from your desktop, it will only remove it from iTunes).
Go back the song on your desktop and right click on your song and chose “Get info.” Go to the name and extension section and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r (or you can just change the extension right from your desktop)
After the extension is changed simply double click on the file to add it to your iTunes library under the ringtones section. Sync your phone with iTunes and you’re done!
Remember to go back into iTunes and uncheck your custom start and stop times for the original version of your song.
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 01/17/09 02:17 AM

Cool, thanks. And GarageBand can do it to, IIRC. I haven't tried.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 01/17/09 04:24 AM

I didn't know that, Thx.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/15/09 06:06 PM

Ok, my LG Vu won't play AAC files. I need it to be an MP3. How do I go about doing that? I converted it to aif in QT, but I see no option of MP3.

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/15/09 06:46 PM

Will the LG play a .3gp, QT's Export Movie to iPhone (Cellular) option gives that.

To use iTunes to make an mp3 set the Import Settings in General preferences to an mp3, import the file, then go to the iTunes library and get the mp3 file.

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/16/09 08:44 AM

To be clear, iTunes can convert from and to ANY of its supported formats, including MP3 and AAC/MP4. After setting the Import formapt to MP3 as Reboot says, you will now see "Create MP3 Version" in the Advanced menu. Use that to convert your AAC, and you will now have two versions in iTunes. (You can delete the old AAC if you wish.) That command in Advanced always shows whatever you set as your Import format--it can convert anything TO that format.

(And QT exporting may require QT Pro which is a paid upgrade.)

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/16/09 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Nagromme
After setting the Import formapt to MP3 as Reboot says, you will now see "Create MP3 Version" in the Advanced menu. Use that to convert your AAC, and you will now have two versions in iTunes.
Nice, thanks. Didn't realize that.

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/16/09 09:32 AM

Ah, thanks! I do have QT pro.

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/16/09 02:26 PM

ok great. My phone won't play it, says it is an unsupported file, yet I have other MP3 files on there that'll play.

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/16/09 02:41 PM

hmm...guess it has to be 15 seconds max. Got it working though.

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/16/09 10:03 PM

Good to know. I plan to play with custom ringtones myself sometime.
Posted by: gnfnr2k

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 03/30/09 10:02 PM

Here is another way too

audiko.net have not tried it tho.

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 04/10/11 11:45 AM

I can confirm that this does indeed work with the latest version of iTunes and iOS 4.3.1!

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 04/10/11 01:52 PM

Rip Van Winkle just woke from his nap! LOL

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 04/10/11 02:13 PM

Well, I think it's good to know for those who weren't aware

Re: Make ringtones with iTunes - 04/10/11 09:37 PM

I didn't mean you... just this thread... frown