iTunes deauthorization question

Posted by: MacBozo

iTunes deauthorization question - 11/14/08 12:05 PM

Since my G4 died, can I deauthorize its iTunes account from my wife's Mini, or will I have to contact iTunes support?
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/14/08 12:26 PM

You'll need to contact support if you can't revive it: it's not the account that gets authorized/deauthorized, but the specific hardware.

(You have 5 authorizations to use at once, so it's not critical to lose one--but I'd want all my five just in case!)

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/14/08 12:51 PM

Thanks! That's what I thought. The G4 is not revivable nor would it be cost effective.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/14/08 01:20 PM

You can use the other computer to deauthorize everything, and then reauthorize what you want. I had to do that when my G4 tower was stolen.

Don't ask!

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/14/08 01:30 PM

Thanks! I might do that if and when I get another computer.

(I really want to ask) laugh
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/14/08 03:16 PM

ok, sorry to do this, but this belongs in the iTunes section. I'll leave a marker, I promise! laugh
Posted by: ekrga

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 09:54 AM

Interesting, I was going to ask a similar question. When I authorized my new notebook for ITunes, it was the 5th and final one. At least one of the computers that had been authorized for my iTunes account is dead as well.

So if I contact Support, I wonder if that counts as my one and only free call for the new computer. If so, I'll nose around to find the place to deauthorize everything, and then, as yoyo suggested, reauthorize them, one by one.

This brings up another question. I tried to load an album that I'd downloaded from iTunes to the new comptuer. I have gotten the firewire or ethernet cords yet to do a transfer, so I just used the disk I made of the downloaded album. I got a message that I didn't have the authorization to listen to the album on this computer. What gives? smile

Thanks once more,

Ellen

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 12:31 PM

What kind of disc? Regular audio CD? If so, that's odd. If it's a data disc of the files, then you'll need to authorize the machine to play them.

(I wouldn't recommend using audio CD to transfer songs: they'll end up being re-compressed.)

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 05:30 PM

Regular audio disc!

The songs transferred into my iTunes library but when I click one to play, I get a message saying I need it authorize the machine. It's already been authorized but I play the game and authorize again. Then I get a message that the machine has already been authorized? Oh, really? smile

Ellen
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: ekrga

So if I contact Support, I wonder if that counts as my one and only free call for the new computer. If so, I'll nose around to find the place to deauthorize everything, and then, as yoyo suggested, reauthorize them, one by one.
Call them, they will de-authorize all machines, and you can then authorize the one(s) you want again. Don't tell them about the new machine, just tell them you were trying to authorize a Mac but found you had reached your limit, and don't have the machines anymore to de-authorize them manually.

They'll wipe the slate.

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 07:18 PM

I replied to ekrga before you, by the time a I reached the bottom it was the closest Reply button. wink

Ditto, if you've run out of authorizations.

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 07:43 PM

Hey Reboot, am I wrong that you can use one machine to deauthorize all of the computers, and then reauthorize the ones you want one by one? I know you could do that in the past because I did it.

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I know you could do that in the past because I did it.
Then I've got to believe it's true. wink

Did you do it through iTunes or on the web, remember?

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 09:03 PM

Through iTunes it was. This happened three years ago (I think) so rules may have changed.

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/15/08 10:07 PM

Maybe only iTunes customer service can do that?
Posted by: FSM

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/16/08 06:14 AM

you can deauthorize from 1 computer as i did it earlier this year . . . a window came up that said that you can only deauthorise one time a year. i did it as i had old machines among my 5 that were no longer being used. i then promptly filled my 5 limit with my 2 computers and my wife's laptop and each kids' computer (that's 5). now that my Macbook died and a new one is on the way, i have to deauthorize again and it's only been about 5 months. i guess i'll have to call Apple to get special permissions. doh.

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/17/08 11:20 AM

Oh, please call me Ellen. wink

And Reboot, just curious, why should I refrain from telling them about the new computer? It was the 5th one I've authorized.

One problem, I realized that somewhere along the way, I changed my user id from ekrga to my email address. That may be why they won't authorize that particular cd. I haven't tried moving over any others that I downloaded from iTunes. There weren't _that_ many...

Ellen
Posted by: polymerase

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/17/08 11:53 AM

If you used ekrga as well as your email address you may have two iTunes accounts. I did this and it can be a nightmare if you do not know which one you are in or which one you bought songs on.

Just go to iTunes and "signout" under the Store menu. Then log in using ekgra. Look at you account info and buying history as well as number of authorized machines.

Write it all down..

Now sign out then sign in again using your email address. Check all the info, buying history, the works. Comparing those to lists might be informative.

Re: iTunes deauthorization question - 11/17/08 06:47 PM

Ellen it is? I can do that. By coincidence I have a real name too, Jim. wink

Quote:
And Reboot, just curious, why should I refrain from telling them about the new computer?
So that they don't count it as your one and only free call for support, you were concerned about that in your post. I don't know if they would but it's information they don't need to know to do a blanket de-authorization.

Jim

Update - 11/24/08 12:51 PM

Since the new Mini is only the third authorized computer that I have, there is not the option to De-authorize all yet. Doesn't matter much since the dead G4 won't be used ever again and the HDs are not going to the graveyard with it.