iApps for the iPhone

Posted by: yoyo52

iApps for the iPhone - 08/04/08 07:02 PM

Check it out<br><br>There's even a copy and paste utility across apps.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: DLC

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/04/08 07:36 PM

I was looking for a audio note program and found EverNote... FREE.. can save note as text, photo, or audio and access them over the new from your computer if you like. I'd like to try Super Monkey Ball, but I figure it'd KILL my battery life !! <br><br>What other "jewels" have people found ?<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: macdavid

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/05/08 09:08 PM

I've found "Fitness" to be a fantastic app in my current weight-loss attempt. You input *any*thing you eat during the day... choosing from their default lists of just about everything edible... and/or you can create a custom list of stuff they don't have. As I'm on Medifast, I've entered nearly all their products' nutritional info. Each entry lists all the info for everything you eat during that day, gives you a summary, and a day-by-day graph comparison. It immediately became apparent that my total daily sodium consumption was waay too high. I had no idea. AND... any exercise programs you do can also be entered (i.e., 30 mins moderate stationary bicycle. You can enter your weight each day, and it gets compared against the target goal you set up at the beginning, keeps track of your BMI. The fact that you have this resource in your pocket and can enter data with ease and very little effort makes this an extremely useful app. Gets my highest rec!<br><br>
Posted by: Jashue

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/06/08 08:25 AM

I'll weigh in here as I've spent a lot of time playing around with the third party apps....<br><br>Carstat is a really cool app. It keeps a running tally of all the money one puts into his or her car-- breaking it down into gas, maintenance or "other." It keeps track of gas milage, average gas price by gallon, highest paid and lowest paid. It also tell you how much your car is costing you per mile. My '06 Civic Si has cost me 24 cents per mile (with only gas fill-ups) since July 13. Who'd have thunk it?<br><br>Box Office is cool. Type in you zip, and it'll tell you what's playing and where. It'll give you composite scores from either Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic and it will take you to any of the reviews that make up those scores. Wicked cool. Plot synopsis and links to Youtube trailers are also at your fingertips.<br>Makes me wish that I was more interested in what Hollywood was putting out nowadays.<br><br>Phone Recorder App gives the iPhone a functionality that it should never have been without in the first place-- the ability to record voice memos on the fly. I sometimes think of things that should be done (download a tune?) when it's not convenient for me to do so. Not I just grab the phone and voice a reminder. I initially tried Voice Record app which is free, but Phone recorder sport a better interface-- well worth the tiny price tag.<br><br>I downloaded Weather Bug. It's not that impressive, but vastly superior to the weather app that came with the phone. Can anyone recommend a better one? (anyone that's tried more than one?) I'm especially curious about MyWeather Mobile, but it seems pretty expensive relative to so many other apps at the store. Anyone try that one?<br><br>The NY Times App is worthwhile imo. Gives you what you need in a cleaner interface than iPhone's Safari.<br><br>Epocrates Rx is amazing since it's free. But I have no real reason to use it.<br><br>Oh... and I almost forgot the one I use more than any other: Apple's Remote App. This little program has given me more satisfaction than I ever imagined it would by making my Apple TV (and the 6,000 songs on it) as accessible as they were if they were on an iPod touch. And the acquisition of that program just happened to coincide with my having acquired these speakers and this subwoofer. I'm in audio heaven. I now have the system I never dreamed I'd have. I'm re-ripping everything I've got at a higher bitrate now!<br><br><br>Let's keep this thread going! It's be nice if this community could separate the wheat from the chaff in the app store. There seems to be a lot of chaff too<br><br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jashue on 08/06/08 09:09 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/06/08 11:21 AM

Jashue and MacDavid...<br><br>I use Accuweather for theweather - has on line radar so you can see where the storms/ rain are... AND a 15 day forcast.<br><br>Thanks for the many sugeestions- I WILL try many.<br>The weight tracker, the CarStat, sound great. <br><br> I'm trying to lose weight, man is it tough at 60 !!<br>I'm afraid to see what my 16 yr old Toyota is costing me, but I NEED to know <br><br>Thanks guys !!<br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: margadagio

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/06/08 12:49 PM

I just discovered this must have app. It's free!! It works like a photoshop app for your iPhone snap shots. Now you can fix them up or play it up a bit before sending to someone direct from your iPhone. VERY handy!<br><br>ezimba<br><br>

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/06/08 02:14 PM

I didn't see the "2 fingers" effect....<br><br>you know the 2 .... behind the head !! <br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: macdavid

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/06/08 03:13 PM

You think it's tough at 60? Try 70.<br>Oh... and the complete name is "Absolute Fitness" and they just posted an upgrade which fixes some of the problems in the earlier version. I *love* this program!<br><br>I also like "Recorder." It's like having an audio memo-taker in your pocket.<br><br>I also use "My Life Record Personal Edition," but it doesn't allow for very much medical data. Perhaps the more expanded $ version does, so I'll check it out.<br><br>Then there's MyLite Colored Strobe and Flashlight" which is cool and *may* prove useful someday.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/06/08 04:18 PM

I like Cookie Bonus Solitaire. The first time I downloaded it was on July 11, when Apple was having trouble with their servers. Something went haywire, so I contacted Cookie Bonus tech support by email. Got an answer from the developer, Tom Hubina, within an hour (and it was at night). He guided me through how to delete it and reinstall, and all was well after that. <br><br>I paid $5.99, but there's a free version if you don't mind seeing ads. There are cheats that you can use, which are fun. Also, you can either drag the cards, or touch the card you want to move and then touch where you want it go. It's addictive and totally non-productive, but fun.<br><br>

Re: iApps for the iPhone - 08/06/08 04:29 PM

OK macDavid... I'll stop complaining..... <br><br>I hear ya... it's NOT easy !! <br><br>The only thing that helps me is a medium breakfast ... lite (fruit or small salad) lunch and a medium portioned dinner... some days if I'm real busy I skip lunch all together.<br><br>If I eat 3 meals - even medium portioned ... I gain !!<br><br>some days, I can just look at food and gain weight !!<br>I call it the see-food phenomenon.<br><br>David (OFI)

Here's a new one... - 08/07/08 09:29 AM

Pennies has just been released from the developer that gave us AppZapper. I've been playing around with this for a day and I think this might be a fabulous app. Everytime I spend-- on anything no matter how small-- I enter the value into the phone under the appropriate category. It's so easy. <br><br>I alternate between being extraordinarily frugal and spending extravagantly (see the speakers linked further up in this thread), so some sort of budget software "on the go" could be very useful. I bet there are a lot of people who could find this likewise terrific!<br><br>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Here's a new one... - 08/07/08 10:42 AM

This is pissing me off a bit - being tied to my current O2 package means I can't get an iPhone until December (self irony awareness is *high* - my suffering is truly inconsequential) - but all these fab little apps, I want to use them on my mac! Is there an iPhone emulator? That doesn't involve downloading the entire SDK, that is? <br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>

Re: Here's a new one... - 08/07/08 12:20 PM

There are a myriad of financial programs out there, but who enjoys having to be disciplined enough to use them properly by saving every single receipt and entering the data at the end of the day? I know I dont. I usually put 'em in a pile and enter expenses when I "get around to it," which is to say-- when I'm sick of seeing how the pile has grown.<br><br>The ability to do it on the go, as I go, however, seems so much easier. <br><br>Who knows? Perhaps this is just a novel thing that will get old. <br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Here's a new one... - 08/07/08 05:25 PM

No, and the iPhone Simulator won't run them either. iPhone apps are compiled for ARM, but the simulator apparently is Intel-based and does not actually emulate the ARM processor. So app testing on the Simulator automatically compiles an Intel version.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Here's a new one... - 08/08/08 12:19 AM

Thanks - er, I mean thanks . Actually, anything that keeps me from wallowing in my iphone envy is a good thing. If you've got one, I rejoice in your good fortune...<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Here's a new one... - 08/08/08 01:31 PM

I don't have one. Yet <br><br>The iPhone 3G will drop in price by $70 in a month, and I'm waiting for that.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: eckhard

Filemagnet is okay... - 08/09/08 02:00 AM

<br>It allows importing and viewing of various file formats, inclouding pdf, png, tif, doc, mov and many more, without having to go through that silly syncing iTunes process all the time. Great for stuff you just want to take and show someoneone and then dump again.<br>The can't handle Excel yet but have promised an update.<br><br>Only problem is that with large files (like the 5-language instruction manual for my digicam), which one tends to load, the program's memory sometimes gets cut off.... but you can always reduce the stuff before transferring it to the handy.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>