Is it me ?

Posted by: Swatcat

Is it me ? - 07/14/08 11:59 AM

While I was at the Apple Store yesterday I took the chance and asked if I could get a discount on MobileMe for the iMac I bought my son in May,all I had was the "Thank You For Registering "email and the registration number which I showed the sales clerk on my iPhone.<br>He punched in the numbers and I got my discount on MobileMe <br><br>Now getting back to "Is it me ?"<br>I think the name MobileMe 100% flat out sucks it sounds Microsofty to me.<br><br>I accepted iTools name being changed to .mac that was <br>But .mac being changed to MobileMe and a stinking PINK ICON that replaces my beloved iDisk icon does not get it <br><br>Sooooo share your feelings about the name MobileMe and the precious pink icon.<br>And another thing that really bugs me it the new tee shirts the Apple Employees are wearing I feel like Im at Taco Bell <br>BRING BACK THE BLACK APPLE TEE SHIRTS ! <br>Ok I am finished <br><br><br><br><br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 12:07 PM

Pretty soon the HD will be named MyMac and the downloads folder will be MyDownloads. Sucks is right. I don't like the me.com address either.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 12:34 PM

...especially after the satisfying experience that was Windows ME...<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple>
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 12:53 PM

Hate the name -- I like that you can still use your .mac address though =)<br><br>Fortunately, I don't seem to have a pink icon for my iDisk -- it's still the same globe-on-a-hard-drive one for me (yes, I have updated to the new software =)<br><br>Turn up the signal, wipe out the noise ...
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 12:58 PM

Yup, the name sucks. Glad I still have my .mac name.<br><br>

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 01:03 PM

Apple should give us a choice it's bad enough to be stuck with the name MobileMe they could give us a choice of gender related icons<br>Pink for the ladies and blue for us men.<br>Is Apple loosing it's identity ? <br>Are we doomed to be in the pink ? <br><br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !
Posted by: DLC

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 02:24 PM

No I agree Swatty !! - I don't like the fact it doesn't have "mac" anywhere in it.<br><br>why not "Mobile Mac"... but then it does work with PCs ...<br><br>I agree the Me sounds too much like "me generation"... <br><br>"mobile me" is almost as bad as VISTA...<br><br>"mobile me" sounds like someone with a bladder (or bowel) problem !! <br><br>David (OFI)<br><br>PS If gas goes up any more - I'll be "Non-Mobile Me" !!
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 02:31 PM

Depends<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 02:32 PM

The name is bleh! Unless it means Mac Everywhere. <br><br>
Posted by: Piper_14

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 02:35 PM

You can add me to the club of people who prefered ".mac" to the Windows-esk "me".<br><br>However, there are ways we can change the icon from that new pink one... right? Doesn't CandyBar allow such?<br><br><br>My Wii: 5721 8516 7937 9434 (PM me if you Wii)

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 02:46 PM

Mine is still the blue globe on a HD.<br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 08:37 PM

It's not great. iTools wasn't either. But dot Mac was the WORST. Very Microsoft: a rip-off of .NET.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 08:39 PM

It's always you.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: carp

Re: Is it me ? - 07/14/08 10:19 PM

SwatPussy you would look very good in Pink so don't knock it - just kidding<br><br>Anyway;<br>This moniker change from Mac anything , I bet that now Apple has gotten into the PC world with a half of foot into shiit - makes sense to me that Apple is dropping the Mac moniker for services and going with a more PC type garbage naming. After all if you are a hard core MS kind of "lemon-aid" priick ya not going to buy an iPhone that is tied to a .MAC service , this would send the wrong single to your PC loving friends <br><br>Bottom line;<br>I can see Apple appealing to the younger crowds like high school kids and wannabe switchers are not forced into saying a "Mac" word sorta kinda you know what I mean. I bet Apple will eventually will phase out the MAC naming conviction in a few years.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 04:29 AM

I don't mind the "MobileMe" moniker so much as the $99 price tag. I love the simplicity of MobileMe, always have. And I suppose with the huge increase in storage space, the price isn't nearly as out-of-line as it used to be.<br><br>I'll probably check it out in the future.<br><br>
Posted by: WMB

It's Ronald - 07/15/08 10:43 AM

TOTALLY AGREE. TOTALLY, man!!!<br><br>HATE the name. and the changing t-shirts at the store, puh-leez.<br>i HATE seeing apple go all macdonaldsy on me.<br><br>c'mon, steve. pay attention to what they're doing. too many mid-level folks without enough to do - "I know!! NEW t-shirts!!! even ORANGE ones!!! it'll be soooo colorful!!!" ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 11:34 AM

<br><br>- alec -

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 12:48 PM

<br><br><br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 02:20 PM

But it's so pretty!<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: zwei

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 02:42 PM

I did the math a long time ago. I used to have my old G4 PowerMac serving up my website and a personal photo gallery ...until I actually did a bit of research on how much it costs to keep your PC running 24/7. Over the course of a year it cost me more to run my own server than to get .Mac. (Especially with the Amazon.com discount.) <br><br>It was an easy decision for me to go with the full Apple package after I found that out. <br><br>On that note, I just got an email today saying that I'm 1 month away from needing to re-up my subscription. Guess I'll be going to Amazon to get me a new mobileme box. Unfortunately the prices went back up now. Looks like I'm only going to save $10 this time instead of $20. Oh well.<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 03:16 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/loWrI1FneSM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/loWrI1FneSM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object><br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 03:20 PM

I wonder whether the .Mac serial numbers will work. I usually buy a box whenever I find the best deal . . . didn't do it this year, but if I do find a .Mac box somewhere I'd like to know if I could use it.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 03:28 PM

Sure the serial numbers will work with MobileMe so don't worry you will be in the PINK !<br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 06:57 PM

For me, .Mac and now MobileMe is definately not worth the price. For what they offer:<br>"20GB of combined email and file storage, 200GB of monthly data transfer"<br><br>I can get unlimited space and data transfer rate for the same price. <br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Is it me ? - 07/15/08 07:57 PM

It's not for everybody, but Apple supplies all the tools that tie into your web site, photo albums etc. The Sync capabilities are nice for some people. IMO the main market is for people that don't really care how the Internet works and only want to easily post photos and make basic custom home pages etc, it's perfect. The Photo Albums look nice and are viewable by anyone with a computer.<br><br>I have my own web space too with more gigs transfer or storage than I'll ever use, but posting photo albums and making websites isn't so point and click as with mobileme. It requires extra tools/software, mobileme supplies everything needed.<br><br>The only reason I've been considering it is for sync purposes actually, I know a few people that have it mainly for that.<br><br>I knew some that got it to have a .mac address, looks like that isn't the case anymore though.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Is it me ? - 07/16/08 05:23 AM

You don't need any special apps to change the icon on an app or doc or volume - just do Get Info on it, and then paste in an icon after selecting the icon at the top left of the GI dialogue. (You can get the icon of your choice into your clipboard by doing the same with whatever app/doc/volume already has it - i.e. downloading icon files - and do select/copy from that Get Info dialogue first.)<br><br>- padmavyuha<br><br>*edit* Maybe this is irrelevant - since I don't have mobileme (yet) I don't know how this icon is appearing, or whether you can change it this way... by the way, I quite like a friend's suggestion that it should be pronounced Mow-Bee-Leem.<br><br>[color:purple]A lopsided man runs best along the little side-hills of success<br>- Frank Moore Colby</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by padmavyuha on 07/16/08 05:26 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: zwei

Re: Is it me ? - 07/16/08 05:40 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I can get unlimited space and data transfer rate for the same price.<p><hr></blockquote><p>If space is all you are after ...there are definitely better deals. 200GB of bandwidth a month? That's a lotta bandwidth. When I ran my own server I kept a tally on how much I was using. I never got past 3. I use a bit more now ..but I guarantee it's still less than 10. <br><br>1-click publishing is where it's at for me.<br><br>zweisoft<br>