Apple let's me get my songs back!

Posted by: OSXaddict

Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 10:18 AM

So I called Apple last night and he gave me a link to where to submit for my lost iTunes purchased music. http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/lostmusic/<br><br>You email them and tell them what happened. They emailed me back today and said that I can download my music now through iTunes, except for those that are no longer available through iTMS. They even provided a list of that music that was unavailable.<br><br>So, that's cool! How many other places do you know where if you lost the item, they would replace it for free? <br><br>The only thing is that I probably won't get this service again if it was to happen again since they said I need to back up my music...duh. heh<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 11:00 AM

Wonderful news. <br><br>Hope you learned your lesson. Back up, not just to another drive but also to a DVD. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 11:16 AM

Otherwise you'll get the ol' bat out, eh? But you're right!<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 12:31 PM

With your new HD there should be no reason now not to back up. Glad to know you got your music back. <br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 12:52 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>So, that's cool! How many other places do you know where if you lost the item, they would replace it for free?<br><p><hr></blockquote><p>to be fair, the music i buy from Amazon has no DRM and i can put it on 100 devices to back it up. <br><br>but it's still pretty cool that Apple works with people who have the unfortunate happen. <br><br>--<br>[color:red] Kansas Jayhawks -- 2008 National Champions </font color=red>
Posted by: Mike

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 01:30 PM

Wow!!<br>That's great news!<br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: SteveS

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 01:46 PM

"to be fair, the music i buy from Amazon has no DRM and i can put it on 100 devices to back it up."<br><br>To be fair, you can make as many backups with DRM protected music as well. (They may not play on other devices, but for archive purposes...). I'm not advocating DRM in any way, rather, I'm only indicating that's not an excuse for not making backups. I suspect the same music would have been lost if it had been purchased from Amazon.<br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 02:11 PM

Very cool. For such a large operation, I've always found Apple surprisingly likely to bend rules in the customer's favor.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: zwei

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 03:15 PM

Good to hear! Now back it up! <br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/08/08 04:02 PM

2 hard drives are coming in tomorrow, I'll be backing up then.<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: Alec_Fromm

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 07:21 AM

Apple iTunes support is amazing!<br><br>The other day, I discovered one of my videos had completely vanished from my library, after attempting to deal with duplicates. I was sure I hadn't backed up to DVD media in quite some time, as I now kept the iTunes library on my Drobo "RAID" drives. Naturally, I was a little panic-stricken and thought no harm could come from at least asking iTunes support for "mercy". Lo and behold, I received an e-mail from iTunes support offering their sympathy and providing a credit to my iTunes account for the lost (trashed) video. I was stunned!<br><br>At the same time I received the e-mail, I was scouring through a stack of backup DVDs and discovered I had indeed made a backup which included the missing video. After re-installing said video, I sent a reply to iTunes support informing them of my error and suggesting they might remove the credit, ending my message with a HUGE thank you. Their prompt reply;<br><br>"Dear Alec,<br><br>You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear you found the video, and please enjoy the credit anyway. <br><br>Nothing makes Apple happier than to hear that we have pleased our customers. I hope that you continue to enjoy the iTunes Store, and please do not hesitate to contact us should you require future assistance."<br><br>And all this occurred on a Sunday afternoon, no less!!!<br><br>DANG, I love Apple! <br><br>- a.k.a. Mississauga -

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 08:04 AM

I checked out those Drobo things last night...wow, looks very nice. Wish I could get one!<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 10:10 AM

you watch the video? It's like RAID, but MUCH simpler and less expensive in most cases. The reason it looks appealing to me is that you can reuse a lot of your old HDs that you normally wouldn't bother with anymore. (If they are SATA) <br><br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 11:11 AM

Did I see that right in that you can mix and match whatever SATA drives in there? Say a 300GB and a 200GB?<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 11:16 AM

INDEED!<br><br>zweisoft<br>

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 11:22 AM

Crap. Now there is something else I want. heh It has firewire 800, which is very nice.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 02:04 PM

<br><br><br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 02:47 PM

If that's your initial back up, it will take a while. Subsequent back ups are nearly unnoticeable.<br><br>

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 02:49 PM

yeah, my first. I'm putting it on my USB external HD. Perhaps that takes longer?<br><br><br><br>my photos
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Apple let's me get my songs back! - 07/09/08 03:16 PM

If it's USB 1.1, it will take a few weeks. USB 2 should be about the same as FW400.<br><br>