iTunes to DVD

Posted by: cope

iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 11:00 AM

So we missed "Lost" Thursday night (when did it get moved?) but I can download it from iTunes for a couple of bucks. I am assuming it is in QT.<br><br>My question is: will it be straightforward and simple for me to burn that on a DVD so we can watch it on the new TV?<br><br>I am sure some more screen time and I would be able to answer my own question but...<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 12:51 PM

Watch it on the computer, play it off of an iPod or AppleTV, or hook your computer to the TV, but you can't burn it.<br><br>Or download a high quality torrent recorded from HD for free and do what you want with it, but that would be illegal.<br><br>Silly rules.<br><br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 03:08 PM

Thanks for the (depressing) info. Even though I have paid for it, I can't do with it as I please. Oh year, I forgot, the progressive nature of DRM.<br><br>I guess I will investigate other options, if there are any.<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 03:09 PM

Toast?<br><br><br>

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 03:22 PM

Toast doesn't like the format, and if you convert to mov with QT Pro the DRM signature stays and Toast complains.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 03:23 PM

That's why I don't buy any video from iTunes. It's not real comfy crowding around a computer screen to watch a show.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 03:23 PM

I was just wondering if one could extract the essential file and then burn to DVD.<br><br>

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 03:42 PM

No, it's locked down. You *can* physically get to the file in the Movies folder but can't Toast it.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 03:58 PM

Well, if you had an AppleTV, you could watch it on your TV. <br><br>my photos
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 04:12 PM

A TV cable for your Mac would be cheap... even if it might have to be pretty long. You could also get SnapzPro which can capture anything on the screen AFAIK--but an iPod Nano costs only a little more, and fits multiple episodes, TV-ready, in a format smaller than a DVD.<br><br>FYI, ABC has all Lost episodes streaming online for free, often in quite good high definition. There's a menu bar at the top even in fullscreen, but being HD the quality is better than I've seen from iTunes shows. There are ads--but very few compared to the broadcast.<br><br>Suppsedly they now have ALL the Lost episodes back to the start, so newcomers can catch up.<br><br>http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing<br><br>You can catch up on Pushing Daisies too, which will have new episodes later this year :)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 04:14 PM

Thx, I mentioned that above though.<br><br>I use my Eyehome. Doesn't do DRM so I don't buy any DRM'd video.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Reboot on 02/16/08 07:16 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Solution - 02/16/08 05:42 PM

Downloaded the episode from iTunes to my (ugh!) Dell laptop that I brought home from school. It has S-video out and I have adapters to take the mini plug sound to the jacks for my TV. That should suffice.<br><br>However, if I had checked back in here earlier, I would have read about the free streams from ABC. Thanks to those of you who pointed me in that direction.<br><br>Live and learn...<br><br>This is the price I am paying for having bought a new 42" LCD HD TV and changed out my old DV cable box for the HD DV cable box...of course, all the preferences for recording shows had to be re-entered.<br><br>I'm getting there...<br><br>Wireless surround sound is next...any recommendations?<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 10:10 PM

technically, you don't own the movie; the label does. you are just licensing the movie and by purchasing it the way you do you are agreeing to the terms of the purchase. those terms spell out how you view the content (e.g., on a computer or iPod or an Apple TV, etc.) and nowhere do they give you permission to burn to a DVD. just fyi. <br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/16/08 11:11 PM

If he has an iPod with video, he can get an av cable:<br><br><br><br>and watch it on his TV <br><br>click to read<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: iTunes to DVD - 02/17/08 05:03 AM

Or use any old camcorder cable--just switch the yellow cord with one of the others (I forget which) when attaching to TV. (And contrary to popular belief it's not Apple who messed with the standard pin ordering--it was the camcorder makers. If Apple followed the camcorder "standard" then an iPod wouldn't be compatible with headphones! Anyone remember the outcry over Apple's greed/control obsession/proprietary evil on this issue? Completely fictional--much like the iPhone video-out issue--yet it still hasn't died down years later )<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net