Indispensible iTunes sharing tool

Posted by: Trog

Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/04/08 03:30 PM

I absolutely love this FREE media sharing tool, called Simplify Media. Here's what it does. <br><br>I have all my music at home in iTunes sorted in various playlists, as most people do. When I go to work I have a pair of desk speakers that I can plug into my laptop. Since laptop disk space is smaller I hate to fill it up with music, and I don't want to have to remember my iPod every day. <br><br>All you have to do is open up Simplify Media on both machines and all my music AND playlists show up in iTunes on my laptop, as if it was on the same network as my desktop Mac at home. You can even give other people a password they can use to connect to your music. As long as you have an internet connection there is no need to have multiple libraries of music. It even works on the iPhone, if you are in a Wifi zone (haven't tried that yet).<br><br>So far it is super slick with little network congestion. There is a 1-2 second delay when you open the first song, but almost no delay after that.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/04/08 04:14 PM

Very neat. Thanks!<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/04/08 04:42 PM

Interesting. Will have to check it out. Do you have to have playlists??<br><br>my photos

Re: Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/04/08 04:58 PM

No. Its just like when you have two Macs sharing iTunes on the same network. This gets around the "same network" part of it.<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/04/08 06:30 PM

thanks. i'll have to clear out my Macbook now.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/04/08 07:40 PM

I assume you have to have your desktop set to never sleep, and allow it to run with some sort of file sharing turned on? Either of which would keep me from using it, but very cool nonetheless.<br><br>

Re: Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/04/08 09:52 PM

Yes, you are correct that if your computer sharing the files is asleep it can't share, but no, it doesn't require any other system settings to be modified.<br><br>A little off the subject, but why sleep the computer? <br><br>Once your monitor sleeps it uses virtually no energy, and if your hard drives spin down after a period of time you will only be using the tower's power supply to keep the RAM full and a very, very light fan motion. They're pretty energy efficient when not in use, plus, don't forget that Cron jobs are (I believe) still set to run certain hours out of the day.<br><br>Then again, all you have to do is remotely wake the computer up if you decide you want to use the SimplifyMedia utility. If it is connected through a wired ethernet port (Wifi won't work) I believe that is possible with the "wake for administrator access" option in the System Preferences/energy pane.<br><br><br><br><br>I never put my to sleep, but here's all you would need to run it if your computer is set to sleep:<br><br>1. Turn on "Wake for administrator access" as mentioned above.<br>2. Turn on VNC access, by going to the Sharing pane, check the "Remote Management" box, then hit "Computer Settings..." and activate "VNC users may control screen with password". Enter password.<br><br>Then when you are away from home.<br>1. Use WakeOnLan to wake up the remote serving computer, and use Chicken of the VNC to control the remote computer, startup the SimplifyMedia utility, and you're ready to jam!<br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/05/08 12:56 AM

The CPU still uses some power. Sleep is more efficient than on-but-idle.<br><br>But if you run Folding@Home anyway, the issue is moot The thing is on anyway--may as well let it stream some tunes!<br><br>I think I'll use this tool!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Indispensible iTunes sharing tool - 02/05/08 08:24 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>if you run Folding@Home anyway<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>That's what I was thinking. I never sleep my G5.<br><br>[color:red]&#63743;</font color=red> [color:orange]&#63743;</font color=orange> [color:yellow]&#63743;</font color=yellow> [color:green]&#63743;</font color=green> [color:blue]&#63743;</font color=blue> [color:purple]&#63743;</font color=purple>