Cover art in iTunes

Posted by: Jashue

Cover art in iTunes - 01/03/08 07:19 AM

I don't know about you folks, but I'm pretty anal about my cataloging my iTunes music library. Just about every song has lyrics, proper track numbers, and original cover art. If I buy a compliation (such as the Led Zeppelin box set pictured below), I change all the tags to reflect the origianl release and reimport everything in reverse chronological order so that when sorted by "date added" the artist's body of work is displayed from first song of first album to last song of last album (yeah, there is probably medication for that, but it keeps me from being OCD in other areas of life).<br><br>Anyway... before iTunes had the "get artwork" feature built into the software, I mostly employed a widget that got it from Amazon. And every now and then, it got it wrong. In the screenshot below we see the song "Traveling Riverside Blues" has been incorrectly assigned an album cover by the artist Dread Zeppelin, when viewed in coverflow. This--- even though I deleted the artwork from the song entirely. <br><br>Why would it remain when viewed in coverflow? any ideas?<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Cover art in iTunes - 01/03/08 09:40 AM

Hmm, I didn't know about the get artwork feature; thanks!<br><br>I'm not sure why it wouldn't delete, so I guess this is a pretty useless post.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Cover art in iTunes - 01/03/08 09:51 AM

It might be because you have the Part of a Compilation checked in the Info section of that particular song. Uncheck it and see if it corrects the problem.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Cover art in iTunes - 01/03/08 10:21 AM

"I change all the tags to reflect the origianl release and reimport everything in reverse chronological order so that when sorted by "date added" the artist's body of work is displayed from first song of first album to last song of last album."<br><br>I'm afraid you lost me there. You can sort the songs any way you like in iTunes just by dragging them up and down. This seems like an awful lot of work to achieve something relatively simple.<br><br>
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Cover art in iTunes - 01/03/08 11:34 AM

Go to the artwork tab. There you might see two or more album covers being assigned to the same file and what you see in the cover flow is the one first assigned to the file. At least I have manually deleted the false/wrong ones. Yup, I used to use the itunes companion widget for fetching the artwork, and its fuzzy logic algorithm sometimes gets an album cover 'close enough'.<br><br>
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Cover art in iTunes - 01/03/08 03:25 PM

I figured it out.<br><br>If you look at the picture I posted earlier, you'll see that between Led Zep II and III there is another sorg sporting the Dread Zeppelin Artwork (1970's "Hey Hey What Can I Do"). As of my initial inquiry, I had yet to change delete that erroneous artwork from the file, and for some reason Travelling Riverside Blues was differing to to the artwork from that file. Once I fixed Hey Hey What Can I Do-- the other singles from the box set were blank as they should be. <br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>You can sort the songs any way you like in iTunes just by dragging them up and down<p><hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, Mike... you can do that in a playlist, but I'm not talking about a playlist. I have my Library sorted that way.<br><br>I've done this with a lot of artists for whom I have a lot music-- the Beatles, Stones, Who, Hendrix, Police., U2... actually too many to mention. I have sh!tloads of one hit wonders (or at least artists that scored only one hit with me), but whenever I complete a collection of tunes which is in my own eyes somewhat exhaustive, I delete it from the library (not from the computer!) and reimport them all together in an orderly manner.<br><br>Hey, I know it's sort of whacked. Some people play solitaire-- I think that's a crazy waste of time. I'm a curator of music. It's a hobby.<br><br>