iTunes 7 sucks

Posted by: Trog

iTunes 7 sucks - 12/27/06 12:05 PM

I like to organize my music as playlists. When transferring a new playlist to the iPod in iTunes 6 I could double-click the iPod icon to open a new window, then just drop the playlists into that.<br><br>In iTunes 7 it doesn't work anymore. I dropped about 20 playlists into the iPod window, saw the files were transferring, but found out later that not a single playlist was created. Man, that is stupid. Can you think of any reason why they would go out of their way to remove a feature like that?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/27/06 01:37 PM

Well that's strange. I drag a handful of playlists from iTunes to my iPod icon in the source list and the Playlist (along with all the appropriate songs) are copied over just as they always have been.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/27/06 03:15 PM

There are still two ways to do it.<br><br>A. Drag to the iPod icon in the source list as you mentioned.<br>B. Use Applescript (works fine, but horribly slow)<br><br>Dragging to the iTunes icon does work and has always worked. But, assume you have 100 playlists (I've got more) and want to add 50 of them to a new iPod. Since Apple has never allowed you to shift-select multiple playlists you have to drag them one by one to the icon. If you have a lot of playlists it takes forever for the autoscrolling to move all the way back up to the iPod icon... and whatever you do, don't accidently drop it while its scrolling because then the contents get inserted into a different playlist!<br><br>So, if you have the option of opening a new window you just drag and drop quickly an inch to the left (or right) of the playlists. But, I guess that function was too convenient. Better yet, they didn't tell anyone. Just let you fill up your iPod first, then realize the playlists didn't make it. Suckers! <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/27/06 04:21 PM

I haven't had that problem, But I sure do mis Volume Logic. Plantronics is really dragging their feet on the update. I tried to reinstall iTunes 6.X, but the installer said no can do. Is there a way to back-pedal a few versions?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/27/06 06:01 PM

I'm using the VolumeLogic beta with iTunes 7 and it works perfectly. VolumeLogic is nowhere near as good as OSS 3D was - unfortunately they also have been dragging their feet with an iTunes 7 version and the beta flat-out doesn't work at all.<br><br>I believe you may have forgotten to trash the iTunes 7 "receipt" file from your Library folder - you should be able to reinstall v. 6 after doing so.<br><br>CreativeGuy for daily tips, tricks and commentary on all things graphic design.

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 06:42 AM

Will the VL beta run on 10.3.9, or does it require Tiger and/or an Intel Mac. And where'd you find it? The site says it's still in private beta.<br><br>Nebbermind. Me found-em. Gonna give it a try.<br> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by steveg on 12/28/06 09:44 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 07:35 AM

Bleh. Beta site offers no downloads and says a new update is due in a day or so, and that it requires Tiger. I emailed them and asked if it's still possible to get the earlier Panther-compatible beta. In the meantime I downgraded to iTunes 6.0.5 and have my original VL back in bidness. iTunes 7 offers me nothing important for my usage except for that nice blue icon. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 09:29 AM

Will the VL beta run on 10.3.9, or does it require Tiger and/or an Intel Mac. And where'd you find it? The site says it's still in private beta.<br><br>Will you just install Tiger already? Yeesh.<br><br>

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 09:34 AM

Will you just send me the $130 already? Yeesh. <br><br>

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 09:35 AM

What, it's not on Craig's List somewhere? <br><br>Double Yeesh, infinity.<br><br>

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 09:42 AM

'Skuzeme, but I've been on a tight budget for a while, and unless a piece of software or hardware is undeniably mission-critical, it ain't a line item. And no, I haven't seen it on CL, though I've been watching.<br><br>Triple yeesh, ad nauseum.<br><br>

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 09:55 AM

Well then, stop dicking around with iTunes and get back to your 'mission'!!<br><br><br><br>

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 09:58 AM

My mission is accomplished. I have run the ter'rists off my block and all my neighbors have purple fingers!<br><br>*heroic fanfare up and over*<br><br><br><br>

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 04:23 PM

You know, when I finally resigned and loaded iTunes 7 I spent about fifteen minutes really playing around with the equalizer in iTunes. I miss volume logic a lot less than I thought I would.<br><br>

Re: iTunes 7 sucks - 12/28/06 04:56 PM

That's cold, Trog. Really cold. <br><br>I go back and forth btwn classical and jazz most of the time, and VL seems to handle it a little better than the equalizer. <br><br>Speaking of graphic equalizers, when I was about 10 (around '58), my uncle gave me his Grundig Majestic radio. Two speakers in front and one on each side, and look at all those tone controls. 3 shortwave bands, too! Like an idiot I let it go in a yard sale back around '76 or '77. And it still worked! <br><br><br><br>