Broken iTunes

Posted by: MattMac112

Broken iTunes - 12/05/05 06:32 AM

iTunes won't launch on a Mac I have at work. It will go as far as showing up in the dock with a black triangle underneath, but that's as far as it gets, including The Finder (in the upper left) not changing to "iTunes." When I click and hold on the iTunes icon in the dock, it says "Application not responding." Eventually I have to "Force Quit" the app. <br><br>Another oddity: Same thing happens with Quicktime. Launch Quicktime Player ... nothing. <br><br>One more thing: When I launch iTunes, I run TOP in terminal. It shows iTunes using 95% of the processor while attempting to launch. <br><br>Here's what I have:<br><br>1 GHz G4<br>1.25 GB DDR SDRAM<br>Mac OS X 10.3.9<br><br>iTunes 6.0.1<br>Quicktime 7.0.3<br><br>What I've done so far:<br><br>*Restarted the Mac<br>*Repaird permissions<br>*Ran Disc Warrior<br>*Deleted ALL iTunes related files and reinstalled iTunes<br>*Created new user account and tried lauching iTunes from new account. No dice.<br><br>Any ideas or thoughts as to what's going on here?<br><br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Broken iTunes - 12/05/05 05:17 PM

Hmm... corrupt QuickTime preferences, maybe? Try deleting the QT prefs <br> Library/Preferences/com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist<br>in your home folder.<br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 12/05/05 05:19 PM

Good idea ... I'll give that a go ... <br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Broken iTunes - 12/06/05 06:48 AM

You might also try downloading the Quicktime installer from Apple's Web site and re-installing it over top of the existing version.<br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 08:51 AM

Fixed!<br><br>I run Pro Tools on my machines, and someone, don't know who, upgraded Quicktime when they shouldn't have. The conflict was between Qucktime and Pro Tool's Core Audio driver.<br><br>I upgraded Core Audio and that fixed the conflict. iTunes is now up and running again on that machine. <br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 08:56 AM

'Someone' upgraded QT when they shouldn't have? What does that mean?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 09:36 AM

Someone on my staff ran Software Update and updated Quicktime. I run an earlier version of OS X, not the latest -n- greatest. My philosophy is, if it works, it works. Don't muck with it. The person who ran the update thought they were being helpful. <br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 09:49 AM

Hopefully, someone will return the favor and help remove your foot from his @ss!<br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 09:56 AM

You've got that right. The paint-stripping email has already gone out. <br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 10:35 AM

But you said you upgraded Core Audio and it fixed the problem. <br><br>If it was me, I'd call it a wash and just setup a password on the machine in question...<br><br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 11:00 AM

it's so much more fun to beat the poor b@stard into oblivian over company email! <br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 11:11 AM

Ah, but then you're setting *yourself* up for a nice ass-reaming in public when YOU screw up...<br><br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 12:31 PM

That's what I'd like to do, but the way we have our systems set up I have to have one login for everyone to use, which amounts to about 5 people. Since we got the Macs in studio (since June '03), this hasn't been a problem, until this incident. <br><br>

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 12:33 PM

I didn't single this poor b@stard out ... But I made it clear I'd personally remove the fingers of the next person who sees fit to "upgrade" the software ... <br><br>
Posted by: trey

Re: Broken iTunes - 01/03/06 01:50 PM

Can't you set it up so that the account that everyone uses is just a regular account, not administrative? That way, they'd have to use a password to install software.<br><br>