song ownership

Posted by: lanovami

song ownership - 06/09/05 02:20 PM

Since iTunes, then the iPod came along, becoming a Mac user became even more interesting. Having said that I have purchased a grand total of ONE song from the Music Store. I have been through three clean installs since then, and I have to re-register my rights to this song each time; leaving me with two more whacks for this song I bought for "keeps". Meanwhile a number of other songs that I acquired for, ahem, nothing years back are still going strong. Am I going about this wrong? Is there a way to keep a song I bought from Apple registered as mine? Very frustrating.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: song ownership - 06/09/05 02:24 PM

HAHAHAHAHAAAH...Dude, dude, dude...a little secret. <br><br>The iTunes music store authorizes accounts (not individual songs) by the ID number on your Ethernet card. You can do 482 clean installs on the same machine. between now and the rest of your life, and you'll still only ever have one machine authorized to play back songs purchased with that account. <br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/09/05 02:39 PM

Ok dude dude dude. That must be the case then. But thru 2 clean installs, and one hard drive replacement (if I must be technical) when I tried to play my song, iTunes gave me a message that said "You are attempting to play this song purchased from the Music Store on a new computer, would you like to authorize it to do so?" and I clicked yes. I can't remember if it said I had 4,3,2 more chances to do this, but I assume this is counting the 5 computer limit. So does that mean it is saying that it thinks I am simply adding a song to another computer in my 5 computer limit? Is this 5 computer limit cumulative? Or does this mean a 5 computers simultanously limit? Sorry to be dense, but here in Japan we don't even get to use iTunes until August of this year, so I really wasn't sure how it worked.<br><br>And can you spare me the maniacal laughter? It's too early in the morning over here.<br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/09/05 02:42 PM

Sorry, meant to say we don't get to use the Music Store in Japan until August. I used my US credit card (now expired) to buy my one little song.<br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/09/05 03:13 PM

Well, you have to reauthorize the songs to the account to be sure you're allowed to play them. But that's not counting against your computer authorizations.<br><br>To find out, click your email address in the upper right hand corner of the music store, put in your password, then scroll down to see how many computers are authorized on that account. If you've only ever used the same computer to play the songs (no matter how many clean installs you've done and no matter how many times you've put in your password) it will say one. <br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/09/05 04:40 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out when I get home. I'm back on my company provided Toshiba XP at work.<br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/10/05 01:02 AM

The Register: iTMS Japan in August 'rubbish'<br>Contrary to a previous report by Nihon Keizai Shimbun, an iTunes Music Store in Japan this August is "rubbish," reports The Register. "...the story is 'completely untrue,' according to Apple Japan spokesman.<br><br>I guess Japan doesn't even get one in August... Boo-hoo!<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: song ownership - 06/12/05 10:32 AM

Also worth mentioning you can deauthorize old computers, when you get rid of them. That puts your count back up by one.<br><br><br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/12/05 05:16 PM

It really is a very well thought-out system that is flawless. Once I figued it out, I've been moving my tunes onto and off of different computers without a hitch. <br><br>One little thing Apple doesn't publicize is that if you change your e-mail address or don't renew .Mac, you don't need a new Apple ID. You can go to the support site and change the e-mail address associated with the old Apple ID and go on using the same one. <br><br>So your Apple/iTunes ID might be jsmith@mac.com. Then you don't renew .Mac...no sweat. Just log into the support site and change your email address with that Apple ID to jsmith@yahoo.com. <br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/15/05 03:01 AM

It is interesting that you would use jsmith@yahoo.com as an example, as my initials are indeed jsmith. Not John though.<br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/15/05 04:17 AM

I'm not surprised. In addition to being a genius, I'm also psychic. <br><br>

Re: song ownership - 06/15/05 04:39 AM

Or you work for the CIA. Are they still hiring geniuses? I hear they have a lot of intelligence.<br><br>