Back up iTunes

Posted by: youreds

Back up iTunes - 03/23/05 11:16 AM

In preperation for the release of Tiger of which I plan to do a clean install, can someone please tell me which files from iTunes I need to back up to my external hard drive so I can then re-install iTunes and all the songs (over 10,000) once my Mac has Tiger installed.<br>Thank you.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/23/05 11:22 AM

The Music folder in your home folder should have "iTunes Library" and that should contain all of your music, settings, etc. You can browse through it to be sure.<br><br><br>
Posted by: youreds

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/23/05 11:25 AM

Thank you very much.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/23/05 03:05 PM

As Haysek said, just copy the itunes library folder.<br><br>Then, to reimport the songs just fire up iTunes and drag that folder onto the itunes window.<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/23/05 05:45 PM

No need to do that, just switch out the new iTunes library folder with the backed up iTunes library folder before you open up the new iTunes. All playlists etc will still be intact. Your username (short user name) and password should be the same on the new computer to make sure there are no permission problems, etc.<br><br><br>For Mike

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/23/05 09:01 PM

True, as long as the version of itunes that comes with tiger will play nice.<br><br>
Posted by: Lori

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/23/05 09:08 PM

true, true....<br><br><br>For Mike
Posted by: pgamble

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/23/05 09:19 PM

I have done just what Lori is talking about in the past. It sure works slick. I hate to lose my play counts and playlists by adding them back into the library. Getting preped huh.. Fun fun. I bet we all can't wait. Hurry Apple!<br><br><br><br><br>www.patgamble.com

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/24/05 05:57 AM

I'm pretty sure it will. Each time you upgrade iTunes, it imports the old library intact. And when people upgrade to Tiger, they're going to expect their old iTunes library to be intact.<br><br>

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/24/05 09:32 PM

Yeah, it probably will.. if you upgrade. But he's planning on doing a clean install, which if you really want to do a clean install a lot of folks wouldn't want those old preferences around with their potentially bad karma.<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/24/05 09:44 PM

Since the goal of a fresh install is to get rid of any potentially corrupted preference files, I just drag the song files to the library window and rebuild my playlists. <br><br>

Re: Back up iTunes - 03/25/05 09:27 AM

In that case, be sure to re-rip all your CDs in case the song files are corrupted. <br><br><br>