Songs on PC

Posted by: Anonymous

Songs on PC - 10/31/04 04:04 PM

I want to transfer all the songs on my iPod onto my PC (I already have them on my Mac). <br><br>Is this possible? You're allowed to share the music amoung 3 computers, right?<br><br>I have iTunes for Windows. Do I need any other software? <br><br>Windows won't even read anything on my iPod unless I format it. <br><br><br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ribeiro on 10/31/04 07:06 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Songs on PC - 10/31/04 05:42 PM

The last time I checked a Mac formatted iPod could not be read by a PC. <br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Songs on PC - 10/31/04 10:02 PM

That's right. Here's how I believe it works:<br><br>Windows formatted iPod = FAT32 format, readable by BOTH Macs and PCs<br><br>Mac formatted iPod = HFS+ format, readable ONLY by Mac.<br><br>So, no, you can't do that. However, if all your music is on your mac, you could reformat your ipod (it will erase it) on the PC. Then plug it into the mac and using it as a firewire disk, transfer all the music from the mac to the PC that way.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Songs on PC - 11/01/04 12:00 PM

There is third party software available that lets a PC read a Mac-formatted iPod. <br><br>But why bother with all that. Just turn on file sharing (be sure to turn on Windows filesharing) on the Mac, and copy the music over to the PC.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Songs on PC - 11/01/04 05:34 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p><br>There is third party software available that lets a PC read a Mac-formatted iPod.<br><br>But why bother with all that. Just turn on file sharing (be sure to turn on Windows filesharing) on the Mac, and copy the music over to the PC.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>File sharing with a Mac and PC? How would I do this? Do the Mac and PCs have to share a network, or is all that is needed iTunes?<br><br>I've tried sending music from my PC to my Mac with MSN Messenger, but MSN Messenger on my Mac can't seem to recieve files (only sends them).<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Songs on PC - 11/01/04 09:58 PM

If you want to share between Windows machines and Macs go to your Mac's System Preferences application and the Network settings and click this button to turn on Window's sharing. Then your PC should be able to see the Mac as part of a Windows network.<br><br><br><br><br><br>Personally, (for whatever reason) I've had mixed results with that. So, another option is to turn on FTP access (its already on in the example picture above). Then your mac becomes an FTP server and can be connected to with any FTP client. If you don't know what that is, check the help files, or write back here and someone can step you through it. These are good things to know.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Songs on PC - 11/01/04 10:20 PM

I've also found Rendezvous for Windows to make some Mac-Win networking activities easier.<br><br>