5 Users connected?

Posted by: Pete

5 Users connected? - 09/14/04 12:13 PM

I'm having this odd problem at home with iTunes and sharing my music library- I really only allow 2 other systems (wife on laptop and gaming PC) to connect to my shared music, and I do have a password set up for doing so.<br><br>However the other day I look in the 'Sharing' section of my iTunes prefs and I see a little message at the bottom of the pane that says '5 Users connected'.<br><br>Ummmm.....what?!<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/14/04 02:29 PM

Wireless set up, eh? Me thinks it *might* be someone next door/behind you accessing your wireless network. Of course, this is what the government WANTS you to think, but what it really is, is that you have a inexplainable glitch...<br><br>In other words, I have no idea.<br><br>

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/14/04 05:48 PM

I can understand maybe leeching onto the network, but iTunes? I have a password, damn it!!! <br><br>A PASSWORRRRRRRRRRRRDDDD!!! <br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/14/04 06:32 PM

And the password is . . . . . . . DaddyMac!<br><br><br><br>

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/14/04 07:16 PM

Damn you, now I gotta go change it.<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/14/04 07:21 PM

<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/15/04 07:53 AM

They could be "stuck" connections from a laptop user. If they connect, then put their laptop to sleep, the connection might be "stuck". When they wake up, they make a new connection.<br><br>Restart iTunes, and experiment with the laptop and see. And yeah, check your router to see who's connecting to your network.<br><br>

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/15/04 08:33 AM

I'm never sure on how to check for foreign connections to my network- I pretty much did everything 'recommended' for wireless security:<br><br>- WPA with password<br>- MAC filtering on whom can join the network<br>- No SSID broadcast<br>- iTunes has a password for the shared library, password to connect to the speakers<br><br>Is there some utility in OSX or is it in the Linksys setup that would show me if anyone else is connecting? I check my 'DHCP clients' pretty regularly, and it's always the three machines I have. Unless the new connections just aren't showing up- that happens sometimes unless I restart said machine...<br><br>I'm showing 4 users now after restarting iTunes and the laptop, so I managed to ditch *one*. <br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/19/04 01:56 AM

To check whether these are real connections and not just 'zombies' left over from previous connections by legitimate users, go to the Terminal and type "who" (without the quotes) to see who is using/connected to your computer.<br><br>

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/19/04 07:58 AM

Thanks, I just tried it and I only say my own name in two instances- 'ttyp1' and 'console'...<br><br>Is there a way to perform this function for my entire network?<br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 5 Users connected? - 09/20/04 02:53 AM

Normally the command "rwho" (=remote who) serves this purpose. However, it may be deactivated for security reasons (spoofing). You could also try checking your bandwidth consumption. Fire up 'Activity Monitor' and go to 'Network'. You may want to stop all internet activity for that moment. If there is still significant traffic going on, someone/two/three... is/are leaching.<br><br>