Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?!

Posted by: Anonymous

Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/26/04 07:24 PM

So, Napster's music store launched in Canada today. ( http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=5265866 ) That's the second music service to launch a Canadian, non-Mac-friendly music store in the last 8-9 months. Others have already launched in Europe too. And a year after Apple launched iTMS in the US, is it in Canada, or anywhere else yet? NO! Here's Apple repeating their earlier mistakes - letting their initial market leads slip away. Come on Apple! Get your act together!<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/27/04 07:22 AM

a have to agree!<br><br>
Posted by: drjohn

Re: Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/27/04 02:05 PM

Maybe this will help.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/29/04 06:29 AM

I think it has more to do with record labels than Apple.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/29/04 07:54 AM

Not only that, but I think they're getting a bit worried about Apple being so dominant in the music download segment of the market. I think many of them are working on their own web stores, rather than rushing to market with Apple.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/29/04 11:24 AM

Whoever is to blame - or whoever is responsible for a slow iTunes roll out - Apple is hurting itself by not launching before these guys.<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/29/04 11:27 AM

If it's the labels, how can Apple hurt itself? <br><br>Clearly they can't just rollout iTMS for say Europe with no labels! I can see it now...select 0 out of 0 songs! <br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/29/04 12:22 PM

C'mon guys. It takes two to struck a deal. It's not just the labels fault. It's Apple's fault too. Clearly labels ARE willing to go for selling music on-line. As far as I know there are at least a few shops already open. I think there was a shop open even before iTMS opened. I think Apple is not very strong outside of the US in terms of business relationships. Especially in the rest of the world. In this sense MS has a much bigger chance to capture the on-line music distribution around the world. Let's hope it doesn't happen.<br><br>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Napster launches in Canada, where's ITMS?!?!?! - 05/29/04 06:28 PM

it's all contractual and copyright issues for the labels and their artists.<br><br>