Restore NUTD server from client categories fail

Posted by: MasterCommunication

Restore NUTD server from client categories fail - 01/27/11 04:35 PM

Original server file has been lost on dead computer. Updating to 5.3.2 Now Software by the book, then using File/Import Calendar File... I selecting the client file and all seems to work OK, but the Resources tab does not import the customized Categories. When I add them manually precisely as they were and relaunch NUTD, my custom list of categories shows up in the Sets with the new server name, but they will not bring back events that were previously saved to those categories. When I create a custom set for viewing with all of the categories selected, my calendar is still blank. If I allow it to keep the old server in the Server Connections, I can see the previous events, but they don't update and I am blocked from entering new ones because NUTD is still looking to the old server for those events, and the old server is dead. If I remove the old server from the Server Connections list, all of my events disappear and the calendar goes blank, regardless of that the Categories have been replicated in the new server list. Any suggestions?
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Restore NUTD server from client categories fail - 04/18/11 08:57 AM

Since John Wallace hasn't been online here since Aug. 2010, doesn't look like you will get any answers/help from him. Hopefully someone who uses this will come along and answer.
Posted by: ericruff

Re: Restore NUTD server from client categories fail - 06/20/11 07:42 AM

I just went through this. Don't use the Import Calendar. It doesn't work. Instead, find a calendar client file that is working. Do an Export Text File and export everything. Then create a new server file (on your replacement computer) with the same name as the old server file. Then try to sync a client calendar with the new server. It will warn you that the server appears to be different, do you want to proceed, you might lose your data. Tell it yes. All you calendar data will disappear. Now at the client calendar do an Import Text File. It will all come in, but the categories are all private and have no color or style. Go to Define Categories and select one of your categories. Notice it is Private. That is a drop down menu, make it Public. Do this for all your public categories. Then go back to Category Styles and make the categories the colors and styles you had before. All this imported data should sync to the new server. Make a copy of the calendar file you have that is fresh and copy it to all the other clients on your network. Before you try all this, make copies of everything. Also disconnect some of your clients so you don't mess up those client calendar files in case things do not go well. I am probably talking to myself here, if this is the last post ever.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Restore NUTD server from client categories fail - 06/20/11 03:22 PM

Thanks for trying to help. The lights aren't out yet in the NOW forums but they have become quite dim.