Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash

Posted by: sscanf

Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 01/26/10 03:35 AM

I know others have got both Now Contact and Up-to-Date to work under Snow Leopard. I'm running 10.6.2 and Contact runs OK, but I get a crash on Up-to-Date after a brief period of showing the splash screen. I'm running version 5.3.2. The Console log doesn't yield anything useful. It's a EXC_BAD_ACCESS error.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Posted by: John Wallace

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 01/26/10 11:08 AM

The first step is to figure out if it is the app or the data file.

Does it launch under another user account on your computer? If so, then the problem is more likely the data file or preferences. If not, then the problem is more likely the application or its global preferences file.

To find out:
1. Go to Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Accounts
2. Create a new account
3. Log into that account
4. Launch Now Up-to-Date & Contact
5. Report back what you find.
Posted by: sscanf

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 01/26/10 02:46 PM

Using another account, the software loads fine. In the original account, I tried moving the data file out of its folder, but it still failed. What do I try now? Scrub the preferences file?
Posted by: ryoder

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 01/27/10 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: "sscanf"

Using another account, the software loads fine. In the original account, I tried moving the data file out of its folder, but it still failed. What do I try now? Scrub the preferences file?

Yes, deleting the preference files would be the next thing I'd recommend. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist* and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well
7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open.
8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file.
9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.

*The 'poweronsoftware' file may not exist on your system. It is from an earlier version of Now Up-to-Date.
Posted by: cvbcvb

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 02/10/10 09:39 AM

Originally Posted By: "sscanf"

I know others have got both Now Contact and Up-to-Date to work under Snow Leopard.

Sscanf,

Does this include getting event reminders that “pop” up?

Thanks in advance,

CVB
Posted by: stamos

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 02/10/10 03:38 PM

hi, i've uninstalled nutd 5.3.2 and reinstalled it, reinstalled my system software, reinstalled rosetta, etc. every time i try to open nutd (trial) it says "now up to date quit unexpectedly" and i don't even get to a splash screen.
the apple report says this:
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000bffff740

help? i've done all of the tricks listed down on this forum!

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 02/11/10 12:30 PM

The problem is (most likely) in one of three areas:
1. the software
2. the preferences
3. the data file

At this point we can rule out #1 since you have switched accounts and the software launches fine.
Also, if you've deleted the preferences and the problem persists then it likely isn't #2 (assuming you got all of the preferences)

The next step is to take your data file into another account and see if it opens up. That way you can see if it is the data file.
Posted by: Kempy

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/16/10 08:14 PM

We have almost the same problem.
Reinstalling after a dead HD has been replaced, from TimeMachine (isn't it just fantastic) and we get, see attached, "NURD&C appears to damaged and should be reinstalled from the original installer. Error - 193" Unfortunately the Mac Shop installed snow leopard when we asked for Leopard and we did notice until now.
So neither Contact or Date apps will open.

Machine details: OSv10.6,
3GHz intel core duo,
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
Serial Number (system): 4H645A4PWGM
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F231F707
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Please advise what next.

Data files open on other macs.

Rosetta selected on both apps.

Thank you in advance.

PS cannot use Now X as we rely on server. Mad

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/17/10 02:03 AM

I have also followed

Yes, deleting the preference files would be the next thing I'd recommend. To do that, follow these steps:

above and still the same result.

Please advise what I can do.

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/17/10 09:18 AM

You can download a script to fix the -193 error at:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwCJW1fg...0&hl=en

If that doesn't fix the problem, you can also try:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwCJW1fg...h&hl=en

The problem is caused by a permissions issue on a file. The first script tries to repair the permissions. If it is unsuccessful, the second script deletes that file and you will need to re-enter your serial number.

-- John

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/17/10 10:56 AM

Thank you John but I have run both scripts and no change.

What now? This is getting rather urgent.

Thank you.

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/17/10 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: "John Wallace"

You can download a script to fix the -193 error at:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwCJW1fg...0&hl=en

If that doesn't fix the problem, you can also try:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwCJW1fg...h&hl=en

The problem is caused by a permissions issue on a file. The first script tries to repair the permissions. If it is unsuccessful, the second script deletes that file and you will need to re-enter your serial number.

-- John

Done all of that along with:

Originally Posted By: "John Wallace"

The first step is to figure out if it is the app or the data file.

Does it launch under another user account on your computer? If so, then the problem is more likely the data file or preferences. If not, then the problem is more likely the application or its global preferences file.

To find out:
1. Go to Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Accounts ***** Done
2. Create a new account ***** Done
3. Log into that account ***** Done and selected rosetta
4. Launch Now Up-to-Date & Contact ***** Done
5. Report back what you find.
***** Same problem - same warning - app momentarily appears and then replaced by - 193 warning.

***** Pls help!

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/17/10 12:55 PM

I've not seen those scripts fail (especially the second one). Two thoughts:

1. Are you running those from an Administrator account? The scripts require a user with admin-level privileges to work.

2. Have you restarted after running the scripts? It could be there is some piece of our software that has cached info.

Let me know what you find out. If neither work, then send an email to me at [url=mailto:askjohn@nowsoftware.com]mailto:askjohn@nowsoftware.com[/url] and we can try even more draconian options.

-- John

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/18/10 10:57 PM

Anyone else with any thoughts? I am still without NUTDC! Tried many many things but to no avail. Crying or Very sad
Posted by: cvbcvb

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/19/10 03:22 AM

Did you:

[url=mailto:askjohn@nowsoftware.com]mailto:askjohn@nowsoftware.com[/url]

?

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 03/19/10 04:57 AM

Yes but we seem to have run out of ideas - don't know what to do now. Sad
Posted by: MFletcher

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 04/20/10 11:57 AM

John,

We are now at the point of needing to update our server (XServe) to Snow Leopard. We have a small workgroup of seven users with desktops using Snow Leopard but our server is Snow Leopard and NUTD Server is located on that computer. Should NUTD (5.3.2) work from Snow Leopard Server, Mac OS X 10.6.3. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 04/26/10 01:21 PM

When I was forced to snow leopard by a HD replacement I had a "-193" problem - go to: http://forums.applecentral.com/ubbthread...o_th#Post512777

This got me out of trouble.

It's located: AppleCentral » Forums » Now Software Support » Now Up-to-Date & Contact
» Community Help » I fixed error -193 thanks to this post

Keep us posted with how you went as I am still running NUTD Server v5.3.0 on OS 10.4.11 - if it works don't touch it!
Posted by: JohnnyG

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 05/05/10 03:00 PM

John Wallace,

First off let me say how incredibly sad I am to see Now Software disappear! I have been a LONG time user of ALL PowerOn software and was VERY surprised and sad to see it gone! I wish you the best and hope that it/Now/NowX can be revived at some point in the future. PLEASE do not stop all of the great work you, et al, have done over the years at this point! =)

Now to my point...I also had the EXACT same experience as Kempy and others...I reinstalled Mac OS 10.6.3 on my MacBook Pro and couldn't get Now Contact/Up-to-Date functioning NO MATTER WHAT I TRIED. I got the EXACT same errors after trying the EXACT same suggestions, etc, etc. And, no John, unfortunately your scripts did NOT work for me either (and yes, I was logged on correctly, restarted, etc). This specific topic and thread are critical I believe because there are still quite a few of us longtime and loyal NUDC users still out there, who have migrated to Snow Leopard, etc. In fact, my ENTIRE LIFE is still on NUDC, literally!

Regardless, the ONLY thing that finally worked after trying EVERYTHING was Kempy's last suggestion to remove/delete/trash the invisible file. OMG...FINALLY!!! I was terrified because my NUDC files contain everything from the last 15 years believe it or not. So I cannot thank Neil Ticktin, Twidge, Kempy and you enough for all of your collective persistence!! Right ON folks!

Many many many thanks!!
JohnnyG
Posted by: earplug

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 07/09/10 10:30 AM

Help! After an IMAC hard disk crash and replacement and retore from Time Machine the dreaded -193 Error.

Tried it all! Used uninstaller. Fix193 Script. Delete hidden file. Nothing seems to work. Reinstall 532 and keep getting the error. I have tried to find every file relating to NOW on the system.

I am/was able to install on my MacBook and open the database with no problem but I really need to get it reinstalled on the IMAC.

Jack

What file does the FIX193 actually work on and/or delete.

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 07/12/10 07:47 PM

Hi earplug:

The key is the hidden file. The info at http://forums.applecentral.com/ubbthread...o_th#Post512777 should do the trick.

NOTE: There are two different kinds of Library folders on your Mac. There is the one at the root of the drive at /Library and the one in each user's folder which is ~/Library. The one containing that hidden file is at /Library.

NOTE#2: You may need to restart your computer after removing that file and before reinstalling.

--John
Posted by: earplug

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 07/13/10 09:56 PM

Thanks John, got it fixed, I think the restart was my problem.

Jack
Posted by: dnehrs

Re: Now Up-to-date and Snow Leopard crash - 08/08/10 09:54 AM

I erased my hard drive and re-loaded it from Time Machine. Now Contact gives me the Error -193 whenever I try to run it. Nothing I do (re-install), etc. works. When you said you deleted an invisible file, what was the file?