Using another account, the software loads fine. In the original account, I tried moving the data file out of its folder, but it still failed. What do I try now? Scrub the preferences file?
Yes, deleting the preference files would be the next thing I'd recommend. To do that, follow these steps:
1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process.
2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running).
3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu.
4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/
5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist* and move them to the desktop.
6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well
7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open.
8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file.
9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6.
*The 'poweronsoftware' file may not exist on your system. It is from an earlier version of Now Up-to-Date.