Windows networking

Posted by: mjmcomputer

Windows networking - 12/01/09 01:19 PM

I have a client that is using NOW 4.5.2 on Windows XP Pro we are trying to setup a second XP machine and have them share contacts using the Server Management. On the machine with the server software installed I can get the Contact client to connect to the server but on the machine with just the client I cannot get it to connect to the server. I have tried turning off all firewalls with no success. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
Posted by: John Wallace

Re: Windows networking - 12/01/09 01:28 PM

You may want to run some kind of port scanning software on the client computer to make sure that it can see those ports on the server. That will confirm that those ports are visible. There are a number of free port scanning tools out there (and if you have a Mac, you can use Apple's Network Utility.app program in the /Applications/Utilities folder).

Re: Windows networking - 12/01/09 02:22 PM

I'll try that, but turning off the firewall in Windows opens all ports and that still wouldn't allow the client to connect.

Re: Windows networking - 12/01/09 04:40 PM

I got them both seeing the Now contact server. So now I have a large database of contacts that are on the client only pc that we need to import or sync with the server or set as shared contacts some how. Tried the import export options on the file menu, that was a disaster. So what is the trick to getting the 2 clients to share contacts?
Posted by: ryoder

Re: Windows networking - 12/03/09 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: "mjmcomputer"

I got them both seeing the Now contact server. So now I have a large database of contacts that are on the client only pc that we need to import or sync with the server or set as shared contacts some how. Tried the import export options on the file menu, that was a disaster. So what is the trick to getting the 2 clients to share contacts?

First, if you have an Intel based Mac, make sure it is set to open with Rosetta. To change this setting:

1. Quit Now Up-to-Date and open your Applications folder.
2. Do a 'Get Info'(Cmd+I) on the Now Up-to-Date application file.
3. In the info window, check the box beside 'Open Using Rosetta' and close the window.
4. Do the same for Now Contact.

Then follow these instructions to move your contacts to the server. You can skip steps 4-9 since your information is currently private.

http://www.nowsoftware.com/customercenter/supportNow/ViewFAQ.aspx?id=1172