NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ?

Posted by: mhoutman

NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/24/09 10:54 PM

in a few days we will have OS 10.6. can somebody confirm that it is compatible with NUDC ?

tia mike
Posted by: John Wallace

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/25/09 05:20 AM

NUDC5 is compatible with the betas of Snow Leopard, except for the QuickContact and QuickDay menus which Apple has once again disabled. (For each major OS release since Jaguar, Apple has disabled 3rd party menu extras.)

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/25/09 11:16 AM

Now X is also compatible with the betas of Snow Leopard.
Posted by: mhoutman

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/26/09 11:43 PM

thx john,

will nud/c - quickcontact and quickday menus part - being made 10.6 compatible with a minor update ?
Posted by: ajr135

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/27/09 05:50 AM

I would imagine that with the release of NOW X that the focus is on that product and not n the aging NUD/C

Take the plunge and try NOW X out
Posted by: dsawyer

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/27/09 06:01 AM

Quote:

will nud/c - quickcontact and quickday menus part - being made 10.6 compatible with a minor update ?

QuickContact and QuickDay in NUDC5 depend on Unsanity's Menu Extra Enabler (MEE) which does not at this time work under 10.6. Whether Unsanity will ever be able to get MEE to work is unknown; they haven't said anything about any of their products and 10.6 that I can find. Unless Unsanity gets MEE working in 10.6, I doubt that QuickContact and QuickDay in NUDC5 will ever work on 10.6 since it would take significant rewriting of the code by Now and, as the others have said, Now X is their platform for the future.

Regards.
Posted by: shmerls

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/29/09 05:41 PM

ajr135.

Yes, I assume the focus will be on NowX too, however that doesn't mean that every NUTD5 user is going to update to it or be forced to because QC and QD don't work in SL. Personally, I'm quite happy with NUTD532. My main reason for updating is not because I really need it, but because I've been a loyal user since the first version and I want to support Nowsoft to help pay for the work that went into NowX. Anyone that has followed these forums, knows how arduous getting NowX done and out was. But... regardless of my reasons, I still think NUTD5 should keep up with at least one more OSX version, in these case Snow Leopard.

All that said... John can we expect a NUTD5 update for SL to fix the menu issues?

And yes to all reading... in ajr135's words, do take the plunge. Support your programmers!

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/29/09 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: "shmerls"

All that said... John can we expect a NUTD5 update for SL to fix the menu issues?

I don't know yet. We'll know more in the upcoming weeks about how 3rd party developers solve this problem. For Now X we coded things differently to also make them available as status items just in case.

Quote:

And yes to all reading... in ajr135's words, do take the plunge. Support your programmers!

Thanks guys!
Posted by: SLanday

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/30/09 08:00 AM

Will the NUDC conduits work to sync a Palm Treo 700P phone with NUDC on a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard? I don't think I'm using isync for anything now. Is it the HotSync Manager that is broken in Snow Leopard, or is it just iSync?

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/31/09 07:02 AM

Now's Palm conduits were broken as of 10.5 Leopard and will almost certain not work with Snow Leopard. Missing Sync is a possibility, if not with NUDC than with Now X.
Posted by: IainF

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/31/09 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: "dsawyer"

Now's Palm conduits were broken as of 10.5 Leopard and will almost certain not work with Snow Leopard. Missing Sync is a possibility, if not with NUDC than with Now X.

Dave,
as far as I know I've been using Palm Desktop and its conduits to sync under 10.5. Certainly that has been how I've managed syncing, getting my Mac to overwrite the handheld (Tungsten T3) when necessary.
I understand that Snow Leopard does break this but I have no experience.
I'm currently going through the post release depression of realizing how many vital applications are not yet supported by the new OS release (as happens with each major new release :0( )
Cheers

Iain

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/31/09 02:21 PM

Hi, Ian,

Palm Desktop conduits do I guess work but Now's own conduits, unless I've misread or are misremembering, don't work in 10.5. If you can use Palm Desktop to sync from NUDC to PD to the Treo, that's a workaround, but it's probably not going to work with 10.6.
Posted by: saraswati

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/31/09 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: "shmerls"

ajr135.

Yes, I assume the focus will be on NowX too, however that doesn't mean that every NUTD5 user is going to update to it or be forced to because QC and QD don't work in SL. Personally, I'm quite happy with NUTD532. My main reason for updating is not because I really need it, but because I've been a loyal user since the first version and I want to support Nowsoft to help pay for the work that went into NowX. Anyone that has followed these forums, knows how arduous getting NowX done and out was. But... regardless of my reasons, I still think NUTD5 should keep up with at least one more OSX version, in these case Snow Leopard.

I, too, have been a loyal NUDC user for many, many years, and I have taken the plunge (I paid for Now X two years ago). QuickDay and QuickContact do NOT work (either in Leopard or Snow Leopard), and that IS a deal-breaker for me. Very basic features, such as being able to add a new event or new contact from the QD and QC, do not work. Others on the Now X forums have reported additional basic features that are no longer available in Now X that were available in NUDC. Read, for example, http://forum.nowsoftware.com/content/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=2764

I have gone back to using NUDC so that I can quickly and easily add events and contacts via QD and QC, can open my calendar and contacts, can open preferences, etc, via these menus. None of these options are available in Now X. The information site for Now X claims:
Quote:

Donít worry. The features you loved in previous versions of Now Up-to-Date & Contact 5 are still there. We've taken years of know-how and the latest advances in technology to create a product that performs like never before.

This is NOT true!

If there is not a fix for NUDC for Snow Leopard (which I will be upgrading to soon), then I will switch to iCAL. I've waited two long years for Now X, but as I and others have discovered, very basic features from NUDC are no longer available in Now X. Now X hinders productivity rather than enhancing it.
Posted by: Choo

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/31/09 06:50 PM

So much yelling and theats. Calm down people. The product has been out a few days. Based on what I saw during public beta, each release Now improved the product.

Question for John/Sean: I've read that you have new features coming out in "upcoming releases". When do see these coming out? Are we talking a year? A month? Whats in them? Are these free or for pay?

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/31/09 07:11 PM

We will be continuing to improve the QC and QD menus. In the near-term we'll be fixing the bugs in data entry and adding support for Snow Leopard. Beyond that we'll be adding in controls to open the application, the QC or QD preferences.

You mention "None of these options are available in Now X." Please let us know which features that you loved in NUDC5 aren't yet implemented in Now X. Your feedback is important so that we can prioritize our efforts on what matters to people most. That's the process we used throughout public beta, and its the process we'll use moving forward.

The best way to provide feedback on product features is in the Report Bug command in the Help menu. That automatically feeds into our QA and product management processes so that nothing gets lost. That also helps us since we can count the number of duplicate requests, which increases the priority for a given feature or bug fix.

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 08/31/09 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: "Choo"

I've read that you have new features coming out in "upcoming releases". When do see these coming out? Are we talking a year? A month? Whats in them? Are these free or for pay?

Over the next few months we'll be making a series of releases that both add features and fix bugs. The nearer term releases will be focused more on bug fixes, and the ones further out will focus on feature improvements (although each release will have a mix of each). These releases will be free updates to our Now X customers.

I'll be talking about what we're working on in my Monday updates, so you can get an idea of what we're doing in upcoming releases.

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 09/01/09 06:29 AM

Saraswati said:

Quote:

QuickDay and QuickContact do NOT work (either in Leopard or Snow Leopard), and that IS a deal-breaker for me.

QuickContact and QuickDay work fine for me under Leopard, both with Now X and with the older Now Up-To-Date & Contact. Make sure you're running version 5.3.2.

QC and QD _cannot_ work under Snow Leopard and it's not Now's fault. The new operating system breaks Menu Extra Enabler (MEE), a freeware utility from Unsanity that many developers use for menubar items. The same thing happened when 10.5 came out, though the problem wasn't as difficult for Unsanity and developers to solve as it will be in 10.6. Unless and until Unsanity comes up with a way to get MEE working under 10.6, QC and QD in NUDC5 just flat aren't going to work. Now would have to rewrite them and they're not likely to do that with an application that's been superseded. John Wallace has already said that they're working on getting QC and QD working in 10.6.
Posted by: C C

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 09/01/09 11:18 AM

Unsanity used to have a really good track record for updating their products quickly when -- sometimes before -- major OS X revs were released. But so far there's nothing posted about Snow Leopard compatibility for their products...which is a little unusual. At least I didn't see anything on their product page, blog, or compatibility page:

http://www.unsanity.com/products/compatibility

I'm very glad to see that the Now X clients are finally out of beta and I'm hoping for the best...but with the server components still not finalized, deploying Now X is not yet an option for some of us who are supporting Now UTD&C server users.
Posted by: Gonker44

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 09/07/09 04:13 PM

Hi I have updated to Snow leopard and find that NUD 5.3.2 will now not connect to the server over the network "Error 101". Any thoughts?

NC 5.3.2 on the same server appears to be working ok
Posted by: jgnewyork

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 09/09/09 10:48 AM

Clear AB, ical and Reset Sync History aren't supported in 10.6.

What is the proper way to get your data into an iPhone?

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 09/09/09 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: "jgnewyork"

Clear AB, ical and Reset Sync History aren't supported in 10.6.

What is the proper way to get your data into an iPhone?

We've fixed those scripts for the 10.0.1 release, which is in private testing now and due out this month.

I'll follow up with you via private message.
Posted by: Sean_dup1

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 09/09/09 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: "Gonker44"

Hi I have updated to Snow leopard and find that NUD 5.3.2 will now not connect to the server over the network "Error 101". Any thoughts?

NC 5.3.2 on the same server appears to be working ok

Unfortunately, the 101 error is a generic timed-out error, so there could be a number of reasons the client is not able to update from the server.

Did you upgrade the server machine to 10.6, the client to 10.6, or both?

Are you having difficultly connecting to the server on more than one client?

Can you connect to the server using a client on the same machine as the server?

Can you connect to the server using a newly-created, blank calendar file?

The answers to these questions might help lead us in the direction of a solution.
Posted by: Kempy

Re: NUDC and Snow Leopard comaptibility ? - 09/10/09 03:22 PM

Sad I am still synching with a Palm Treo 680 to NUTD532 with OS10.5.8 2GHz MacBook 2,1. AS we need the NUTD server I have no choice - frozen on my mobile model as am too scared to upgrade until all this mess is sorted out!