Delete info from one particular field in all records?

Posted by: adgeka

Delete info from one particular field in all records? - 07/17/09 11:24 AM

I was wondering if there was an easy way to delete the info in the "Salutation" field from all the records in my database. I'd love to be able to do this all at once, rather than go through each of my 1,000+ contacts individually.

TIA-
adgeka
Posted by: Sean_dup1

Re: Delete info from one particular field in all records? - 07/17/09 11:43 AM

The only easy way to do this would be by exporting your contacts to a raw text file then using something like Excel to edit out an entire column before re-importing into Now Contact. Doing this might not be a good solution depending on your data however, as it would cause the loss of things like keywords, links between contacts and events, category colors and styles, and might merge all notes into a single note field. If you want further instructions on how exactly to perform such a data export/import, send me a PM and I'll send more detailed steps.
Posted by: adgeka

Re: Delete info from one particular field in all records? - 07/17/09 11:57 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Sean! I'm not willing to lose all the other stuff on this one task, so I'll stick with going through them one by one for now.

Any chance this option will be available in Now X?

adgeka
Posted by: Sean_dup1

Re: Delete info from one particular field in all records? - 07/17/09 12:27 PM

Not for the first version. We have talked of an advanced "find and replace" that might achieve what you're looking for by replacing any value in field X with null... but that would be in a future version.