Migrating from OS9 to win XP

Posted by: parisdesign

Migrating from OS9 to win XP - 04/29/09 12:51 PM

I am migrating my small office NUDC server from an old OS9 desktop to an XP desktop. There are three macs running OSX that connect to this XP box.

I exported my contacts and calendar from the OS9 machine as a tab-delimited text file and a *.db file, respectively. I set them up on the XP machine and from there NUDC runs fine. The problem is that now the three other computers don't see any updates that are made on the XP machine. I pointed them to the two new servers I created and they initially seemed to update with the new information from the XP box, but after that, even when I force an update from the new servers, there does not seem to be any change.

I have to admit I don't entirely understand how NUDC works. I've seen the NUT files, *.db files, text files and the server connections and I don't entirely understand how they all work together to create a single shared calendar or contacts list. I also don't entirely understand how categories fit into all of this. Could somebody explain to me where I might be going wrong? I have the impression that part of the problem is my lack of understanding about how all the parts of NUDC fit together.

Edit: I should note that the versions of NUDC were 4.0.3 on the OS9 machine, 4.5.3 on the XP machine and 5.1.2 on the OSX machines.

Edit 2: Information created on Client machines are reflected on the server machine, but not the other way.
Posted by: Sean_dup1

Re: Migrating from OS9 to win XP - 04/30/09 06:58 AM

It sounds as if your server is also a client:

Originally Posted By: "parisdesign"

Information created on Client machines are reflected on the server machine, but not the other way.

Keep in mind that the server's client install must also subscribe to the server database that it is running.

The most important thing to understand in these situations is how categories work. Data is only sent up to the server and shared if it is in a public category (one that is hosted on the server), and other computers will only see that data if they are subscribed to that category. In Now Up to Date you subscribe to categories in the "define sets" dialog, and in Now Contact you subscribe to categories in the "define categories" dialog box.

Often times you find that a particular client has two categories with the same name one local and one on the server, so for instance, I might have "customers" that is private and "customers" that is server based, and if I accidentally put stuff into the private version of "customers", nobody else will see them.

So, I would do the following. Go to each machine and in the client (including the client running on the server machine) make sure they are all pointed to the same server and are showing that they have successfully updated to that server. Also check each machine and make sure they are subscribed to the same categories, and that the data you want to share is in categories that are server based, not in local categories.
Posted by: parisdesign

Re: Migrating from OS9 to win XP - 04/30/09 03:05 PM

I think I finally got everything working, but when I finally got one of the OSX desktops connecting, the server started saying "event "somethingsomething" could not be saved to the server(it may be too large)" After about an hour and a half of clicking "save" I thought all was well but now the client on the XP machine says "error : server problem -39"

Now a large number of events that were previously in another category have been moved into a category called "unreconciled events" and I'm not sure why it happened or what to do with them.