NUDC 4.0.X install on OS 9 won't back up and can't see NAS

Posted by: parisdesign

NUDC 4.0.X install on OS 9 won't back up and can't see NAS - 04/22/09 11:52 AM

I have a SMB network that has NUDC 4.0.X installed on a G4 running OS 9. It was installed 5 years ago.

I have a new NAS that I would like this machine to back up my NUDC data to on a daily basis. NUDC won't even recognize this NAS. My questions are:

1) is it possible to store the data on the NAS and have NUDC reference it?
2) (OS 9 question) How do I create a link to this NAS in OS 9? I've tried accessing it through its IP and the machine will see it, log on and see the available shares but if I try to open one of the shares it shoves me back to the desktop.
3) How do I create a new server configuration in NUDC?
Posted by: TheMadCow

Re: NUDC 4.0.X install on OS 9 won't back up and can't see NAS - 04/22/09 11:36 PM

I'm suspecting that SMB or CIFs support on OS 9 is painful. There was some 3rd party package (see Macupdate.com) that allows you to access PC shares (Maybe PC Exchange?). Mounting it on your desktop should get NUDC to be able to save backups to that mount.

Might be easier to use an Airport Extreme with an HD hung off that. I'm not sure how OS 9 would play with that though. You're in a painted corner there.
Posted by: parisdesign

Re: NUDC 4.0.X install on OS 9 won't back up and can't see NAS - 04/24/09 07:28 AM

The NAS has the shares enabled for AFP as well as CIFS. The main problem I'm having is in using finder to create an alias to the drive. Finder only can see the drive if I specifically type in the IP, instead of seeing it on the network like it can the G5 and the various printers we use.