Very slow response, spinning beachball. Any cures?

Posted by: norm_dup1

Very slow response, spinning beachball. Any cures? - 03/22/09 06:57 PM

The response time is getting very, very slow for almost all operations in NUTD. Whether saving a new To Do, or opening a different calendar view, or moving a To Do to a new date, it is taking "forever."

Are there any fixes?

Thank you.

NUTD/NC v. 5.3.2
Calendar size: 2MB
PB G4 OS X 10.5.6
Posted by: Sean_dup1

Re: Very slow response, spinning beachball. Any cures? - 03/23/09 05:55 AM

Are you connected to an event server or is it just a stand-alone data file?

The first thing I would try is optimizing the file by choosing a "Save As..." from the File menu. Simply give the file an updated name and make sure the "make this my primary file" is checked in the save dialog. Then quit and relaunch the program.

Depending on the number of events in your calendar, you may also want to archive off some of your older events. There is an "Archive Events..." option, also under the File menu which allows you to export to text any events older than a given date and remove them from the database. These exported events are placed into a text file that you can import later into a new file should you need to look up an event from the archived period. This keeps the database trimmed down, especially in cases where you have a lot of events over a long period of time, while maintaining a historical record that can be opened if need be.

Re: Very slow response, spinning beachball. Any cures? - 03/29/09 08:27 AM

I will now try the Save As option.

However, I've tried to Archive twice and it creates an archive but does not delete entries over that time period. Any suggestions?

What it does, is show the progress bar for archiving then the cursor turns into a clock and then later into a spinning beachball. I wait for 10 minutes or so and then Force Restart.

Thanks.

BTW, I am not connected to a server.

Re: Very slow response, spinning beachball. Any cures? - 04/09/09 01:42 PM

OP returning.

Save As did not improve the situation.

Archive function does not delete entries in the calendar as it is suppose to do.

Not sure reason for this error. Anyone else have this problem and solve it?

Thanks for any suggestions
Posted by: customer

Re: Very slow response, spinning beachball. Any cures? - 04/14/09 01:22 AM

We have been constantly battling with this same problem you mentioned for months.

We find that if you close NUTD and delete the preference files, it usually works well for a short period of time, after which the same problem resurfaces and we have to quit NUTD and do the preference file/folder deletion, open fresh NUTD, save as, etc.