unknown error (-9705) occurred while printing

Posted by: stacef

unknown error (-9705) occurred while printing - 03/18/09 08:52 AM

Got this error a few weeks ago after making no changes to the system, settings, etc. Tried dealing with "support" but they've been less than helpful. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Steps taken and "support" replies are outlined below.

Thanks,
Stace

Description of Problem or Question:
Started getting this error today. No changes to my system and printing from other apps works fine. Tried the below steps with no luck: 1. Make sure you know where your primary calendar file is stored on your hard drive. You'll need to know where it is to set it as your primary file again at the end of this process. 2. Quit Now Up-to-Date (if it is running). 3. Open a new Finder window and select Home from the Go menu. 4. Once in your Home folder, go to: /Library/Preferences/ 5. Find the files named com.nowsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and move them to the desktop. 6. Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and move it to the desktop as well. 7. Launch Now Up-to-Date, open the File menu, select Open, make sure there is a checkmark next to the option "Make this my primary file," locate your Now Up-to-Date calendar file, highlight it and click Open. 8. Open the File menu, select Save As...Save the file as the same name and location as the original. Click Yes to replace the original. This step should be taken periodically to optimize the file. 9. Trash the items moved to the desktop in steps 5 and 6. Help please?

Support Responses:

Date Sender Response
3/2/2009 4:34:42 PM Rachel First, if you have an Intel based Mac, make sure it is set to open with Rosetta. To change this setting:
1. Quit Now Up-to-Date and open your Applications folder.
2. Do a 'Get Info'(Cmd+I) on the Now Up-to-Date application file.
3. In the info window, check the box beside 'Open Using Rosetta' and close the window.
4. Do the same for Now Contact.

If it still doesn't print, lets see if the Now Up-to-Date preferences are causing the problem...

Quit Now Up-to-Date
Open a new Finder window and click the Home button at the top.
If you don't see the Home button, click View > Show Toolbar.
Once in your Home folder go to: /Library/Preferences/
Find the file named com.poweronsoftware.nowuptodate.plist and Trash it.
Find the folder named Now Up-to-Date Prefs and drag it to the trash.
Locate your calendar file and Double Click on it. If it asks whether you'd like to make it primary click Yes.

3/2/2009 8:04:06 PM Stace Felder I updated the 'open with rosetta' setting as outlined without success. Note that, although the box was unchecked when I went to follow this instruction, NUTD had been printing just fine previously. I already trashed the preferences as I stated in my initial request but I did it a second time, just to make sure and still no luck. Same error message. What's next?
3/3/2009 11:44:38 AM Rachel Wait, so is it Now Contact that you're having printing problems with?
3/3/2009 12:07:20 PM Stace Felder No, never said anything about Now Contact, only Now Up to Date (NUTD). Still can't print, same error message, occurs no matter the printer selected, occurs even when selecting 'preview" in the print dialog box.
3/3/2009 4:08:20 PM Rachel Ok, just making sure I'm understanding you.
Try creating a new file. If you're connected to a server just go to File > New... save it (File > Save... make it primary) and then connect it to the server (Server > Server Connections). Once it says, "up to date" in the status bar, then go to Define > Sets and subscribe to all the public categories by putting a check mark next to them.

Then try again to print.

3/3/2009 5:06:57 PM Stace Felder OK, printing from a new file seems to work. Given that, what's the best way to correct my current calendar file?
3/6/2009 1:10:58 PM Stace Felder Hello? I still need some help fixing my calendar file. Thanks
3/11/2009 11:36:38 AM Stace Felder Anyone there? Been more than a week and I still can't print my calendar file.
3/11/2009 4:21:41 PM Sean I apologize for the delay in response. It appears from the history that you have a corruption in your calendar file. What we may need to do is rebuild your calendar file and see if that allows you to print again. Are you connected to a server at all, or is your calendar data all private?

Do you have lots of sets defined, and/or category colors and styles set? Do you link with Now Contact at all?

The best way to rebuild a calendar file is through a text export then re-import, but that will remove color settings, sets, and any contact links.
3/11/2009 4:34:27 PM Stace Felder Thanks for the reply. I do not use NUTD with a server, all data is private, I DO have a lot of sets and categories defined and I no longer link with NowContact. I understand the best way to rebuild is the import/export but, because of the downside, is there a 'less-than-best' way I could try as an intermediate step and in an effort to preserve my cats/sets? Stace
3/16/2009 11:40:57 AM Stace Felder Hello? What happened to support services here?
Posted by: stacef

Re: unknown error (-9705) occurred while printing - 03/27/09 10:55 AM

After somewhat less than helpful responses from Now, I decided I'd have to sink some significant time in to troubleshooting the issue. Thankfully it paid off and I found the culprit, which turns out to be font related.

I had a calendar layout that called for specific font for the header. Somehow, that font was deactivated in Font Book. NUTD used the deactivated font in one layout to choke printing in ALL layouts (list and calendar) and throw a 9705 error. Changing the header font in the layout fixed the problem, as did just enabling the font in Font Book.

I hope this may save someone else the weeks of trouble I went through.